• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Is it weird that overwatch not being f2p actually makes me want to play it?

It may not begin F2P, but it definitely feels like a vehicle to eventually go that way.

I imagine Blizzard feel they could recoup more of their Titan budget by going $60 boxed first, move on to rolling out heroes, skins etc, then eventually a f2p 'starter' edition.

I'm still interested either way, but yeah, I fully expect the game to feel a bit light on content while paid dlc comes thick and fast

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm the opposite. As soon as that was revealed I was no longer interested, even though I think it looks amazing.

$40-$60 and the strong likelihood of paid DLC in the form of characters, skins, and maps.

Hmm, if that's the business model than I am back to being uninterested, but I dunno, I can't gel with f2p for whatever reason, despite logically thinking that I can play some of the f2p games out there now without being too bothered by the f2p hooks.

This is one of those areas where I feel completely old and cranky about. I guess when getting a constant stream money becomes inherent to the game design it turns me off. Which is weird because I grew up as an arcade kid.

xiJk0LH.jpg

I watched Face Off for the first time the other day. Whoever framed it as Nick Cage and John Travolta trying to out-act each other was spot on. That movie is fantastic.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I watched Face Off for the first time the other day. Whoever framed it as Nick Cage and John Travolta trying to out-act each other was spot on. That movie is fantastic.

Best part is after they swap and Cage tries to out-travolta Travolta, while Travolta tries to out-cage Cage. It's amazing.

yami4ct

The fact that its a remake and not a remaster should give people the heads up that there's gonna be some changes to the game to make it more modern. Aspects of that game besides the graphics really don't hold up well especially.

Absolutely. If they made a game that was just FF7 with the graphics of the PS3 tech demo, it'd be awful. Much of that game doesn't hold up. The pacing is terrible, the story has promise but isn't all that well told and the Materia system is hilariously broken. I'm excited for FF7:R not because I like FF7 (it's actually my least favorite mainline FF), but I'm really interested to see what it can become. The idea of that game done with really pretty graphics, a story that flows a bit better, new orchestrated versions of that awesome music and a battle/character development system that isn't terrible is super exciting to me.

But this is coming from someone who dislikes FF7 the way it is, so maybe my opinion doesn't matter for much.

Absolutely. If they made a game that was just FF7 with the graphics of the PS3 tech demo, it'd be awful. Much of that game doesn't hold up. The pacing is terrible, the story has promise but isn't all that well told and the Materia system is hilariously broken. I'm excited for FF7:R not because I like FF7 (it's actually my least favorite mainline FF), but I'm really interested to see what it can become. The idea of that game done with really pretty graphics, a story that flows a bit better, new orchestrated versions of that awesome music and a battle/character development system that isn't terrible is super exciting to me.

But this is coming from someone who dislikes FF7 the way it is, so maybe my opinion doesn't matter for much.

Nah, I'm totally on board. While 7 isn't my least favorite (4 is lower from what I've played of the franchise), I pretty much agree with everything here. I'm definitely gonna play it as well because so few big budget RPGs even exist, and the idea of a cleaned up and remade FF7 does excite me.

yami4ct

Nah, I'm totally on board. While 7 isn't my least favorite (4 is lower from what I've played of the franchise), I pretty much agree with everything here. I'm definitely gonna play it as well because so few big budget RPGs even exist, and the idea of a cleaned up and remade FF7 does excite me.

Ha. You just mentioned the one FF game I might get as excited as FF7 fanboys are if they did a full modern 3D remake. God dang I love IV. The world is so fun, the battle system is simple but has depth and the characters are fantastic. The idea of a FF7 quality remake of it would be astounding.

I also will admit that that has no chance of happening, so I can still get behind a 7:R with that budget.

Myggen

Someone pointed out that Jeff won over Drew in the Amiibo Festival video because of the extra points he got by using an Amiibo. #gameofskill

Frith

The fact that its a remake and not a remaster should give people the heads up that there's gonna be some changes to the game to make it more modern. Aspects of that game besides the graphics really don't hold up well especially.

I just hope that we get to
resurrect Areis
via some sort of dlc i love getting engaged with premium content in my favourite intellectual property.

Ha. You just mentioned the one FF game I might get as excited as FF7 fanboys are if they did a full modern 3D remake. God dang I love IV. The world is so fun, the battle system is simple but has depth and the characters are fantastic. The idea of a FF7 quality remake of it would be astounding.

I also will admit that that has no chance of happening, so I can still get behind a 7:R with that budget.

Its probably its simplicity that does nothing for me lol. But its fine since I absolutely love XIII and XIII-2 and have defended those games (especially XIII) more than any other, so I'm not the guy to trust about which ones are great or not.

yami4ct

Its probably its simplicity that does nothing for me lol. But its fine since I absolutely love XIII and XIII-2 and have defended those games (especially XIII) more than any other, so I'm not the guy to trust about which ones are great or not.

I'm a XIII defender as well. I think the world is really cool and I think the battle system might be the best Final Fantasy has had (though X is a viable answer for me as well). I think it's held back by awful writing, linear level design and a cast that is barely drawn out, but I definitely don't think that hurts it to the point it deserves the hate it gets.

But I also can't think of a FF I actively dislike. I and II are broken as shit, but they are games of their time. The 16-bit era stuff is varying degrees of great. The PSX games are a turn I don't particularly enjoy, but they are mostly fine. The PS2 stuff is awesome. XIII is like I stated. It's held back by problems, but I still don't regret the time I put in. The series has had ups and downs, but I've never regretted the time I've put into any of the games.

I'm a XIII defender as well. I think the world is really cool and I think the battle system might be the best Final Fantasy has had (though X is a viable answer for me as well). I think it's held back by awful writing, linear level design and a cast that is barely drawn out, but I definitely don't think that hurts it to the point it deserves the hate it gets.

FF fanbase is really rabid. I get why they hate it, but the things I thought were great about it like the combat system, the graphics, the music was the stuff I really loved and it outweighed the stuff I didn't care for. I didn't hate the writing or the linear levels, though the levels did run a bit longer than they needed too.

I just think that pretty much every FF has its share of glowing problems (some even more), so the insane hate for XIII compared to the others when it wasn't really any worse of a game always kind of baffled me.

I just hope that we get to
resurrect Areis
via some sort of dlc i love getting engaged with premium content in my favourite intellectual property.

From a gameplay perspective it wouldn't make much sense since basically anyone could
do her job as a white mage with the materia system. I made my Tifa half white mage/half brawler and she was way more useful than Aeris was.
From a story perspective, it'd kind of take away from the moment and the entire FF7 fanbase would probably explode from anger.

So yeah, they should totally fucking do it.

A Life Well Wasted is the best gaming podcast series in existence...but there are only 7 episodes. I'm not even sure he stopped doing it, it just takes him years to make one.

i really miss that podcast

He had kind of run out of interesting episode themes, though. The gaming landscape has changed so dramatically since then that I'm sure there's new interesting topics, but Robert seems to have exited gaming completely.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Someone pointed out that Jeff won over Drew in the Amiibo Festival video because of the extra points he got by using an Amiibo. #gameofskill

Drew showed up for a fucking Amiibo Festival Festival without an Amiibo. That's just unprofessional.

Nearly none of the videos on the site are even working for me. Gonna have to try to stick with youtube for everything non premium and hope it fixes itself.

Nearly none of the videos on the site are even working for me. Gonna have to try to stick with youtube for everything non premium and hope it fixes itself.

For some reason the videos on the site are constantly stuttering for me lately. Even on streaming or progressive when I let it do auto quality. Youtube works fine weirdly.

Zocano

Are there other places I can hear Jeff and/or crew just talk about shit. Found some of his Mixlr stuff that was interesting to listen to but I am starved for talk cause I've burned through so much of my usual listening material because of Fallout.

it might have to do with easylist being enabled in your adblocker. that's what it was for me. unfortunately easylist is like, the one that blocks the ads.

yami4ct

FF fanbase is really rabid. I get why they hate it, but the things I thought were great about it like the combat system, the graphics, the music was the stuff I really loved and it outweighed the stuff I didn't care for. I didn't hate the writing or the linear levels, though the levels did run a bit longer than they needed too.

I just think that pretty much every FF has its share of glowing problems (some even more), so the insane hate for XIII compared to the others when it wasn't really any worse of a game always kind of baffled me.

XIII was a victim of a ridiculous development cycle and expectations being completely mismanaged by SE. Hype was allowed to build for years with only a few trailers and screenshots and people's expectations got out of control. They expected a game that looked like XIII with the scale of stuff like XII. They expected all those cities to be fully explorable. Because of the fact SE wasn't expecting the insane cost of developing on the PS3/360, there was no way to deliver that. Development became a mess and it finally had to get pushed out the door because XIV was actually ahead of it in terms of development and they couldn't go and release that before XIII.

XV is actually kind of going too far in the opposite direction as now SE is flooding the market with way too much info and burning people out. I don't think it'll lead to the catastrophic reaction that XIII had, but it's definitely caused some issues already.

Are there other places I can hear Jeff and/or crew just talk about shit. Found some of his Mixlr stuff that was interesting to listen to but I am starved for talk cause I've burned through so much of my usual listening material because of Fallout.

You watch all the extra life stuff? All the solo streams in particular have a lot of talking about stuff in them.

While it's no surprise (it's been rumored for a while, the Star Wars games bundled with the Star Wars PS4 bundles, etc.), but is anyone excited for the (obviously coming) PS2 (and probably PS1) support for PS4 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1142894)? Does the fact those games have added trophy support excite you? I'm not holding out hope, but I hope it's similar to how the 360 BC works and you can use the discs you own. I think a full reveal is coming at PSX.

Hmm, if that's the business model than I am back to being uninterested, but I dunno, I can't gel with f2p for whatever reason, despite logically thinking that I can play some of the f2p games out there now without being too bothered by the f2p hooks.

This is one of those areas where I feel completely old and cranky about. I guess when getting a constant stream money becomes inherent to the game design it turns me off. Which is weird because I grew up as an arcade kid.

If anything I think any future characters will be free. Blizzard made it a point that giving the ability to switch characters was the reason they opted for a full price release, so that everyone could access all the characters. It would be strange if they went back on that..

Can blu ray players read non-blu ray discs? If not, there's almost no chance it'll be able to read old games.

PS4 plays DVDs too. Not sure about CDs. I remember the kerfuffle about the lack of CD audio on PS4 at launch. It was a "big" deal. Now, people don't remember they were angry about it. If I recall correctly, there was talk before launch that Audio CD playback could be added via an update, so I wonder if PS4 is capable of playing CDs, too.

skynidas

Banned
While it's no surprise (it's been rumored for a while, the Star Wars games bundled with the Star Wars PS4 bundles, etc.), but is anyone excited for the (obviously coming) PS2 (and probably PS1) support for PS4 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1142894)? Does the fact those games have added trophy support excite you? I'm not holding out hope, but I hope it's similar to how the 360 BC works and you can use the discs you own. I think a full reveal is coming at PSX.

if they have trophy support i'm going to shit myself

It's been a long time since I have seen a video on the site. I've been using the WiiU primarily whenever I watch videos. Gamepad + TV goodness, works real well.

yami4ct

It's cool I guess. There's a ton of PS1 stuff I already own on PSN or have on disc I'd like to go back to. For PS2, most of my favorite games on that platform have come out with better versions for Vita or PSP. I'd be far more excited about support for those platforms than PS2, but it's cool.

PS3 is something I probably want the most, but I understand why that can't happen from a technical side. Streaming seems to be the only way that could happen, and that's not really acceptable to me from a bandwidth and performance perspective. Guess I'll just need to keep mine around.

Can blu ray players read non-blu ray discs? If not, there's almost no chance it'll be able to read old games.

Blu-Ray can 100% read DVDs. I'm not sure if that's endemic to the platform or something every player just adds in, but every Blu-Ray player I've owned has DVD support as well.

Jabronium

For some reason the videos on the site are constantly stuttering for me lately. Even on streaming or progressive when I let it do auto quality. Youtube works fine weirdly.

I was having a hell of a time getting any of the 2015 Extra Life videos to load from the site. Not sure what the problem was. Oh, speaking of, I see they uploaded 3 Vinny videos! Is this the full stream, including the part that was missing from the GBU upload?

if they have trophy support i'm going to shit myself

They do (or most likely will)! The Star Wars games from the PS4 bundle already have trophies. They are not remakes. Eurogamer showed they are the PS2 versions (with better image quality and framerate) with trophies added. This gels with the rumors Eurogamer reported earlier in the year, saying that PS1/PS2 classics would come to PS4 with trophies. The better image quality and framerate are just icing on the cake (some go from 30FPS to 60FPS).

Blu-Ray can 100% read DVDs. I'm not sure if that's endemic to the platform or something every player just adds in, but every Blu-Ray player I've owned has DVD support as well.

The manufacturers are just being consumer friendly here. When you have a Blu-Ray player that plays DVDs (pretty much all Blu-Ray players), you have two lasers. A red one (DVD) and a blue one (Blu-Ray, hence the name). I guess DVDs are so prevalent (and DVD lasers are so cheap) it makes sense for them to include it.

Jintor

i've been listening to so much Friends At The Table recently, I feel like I'm just catching up on making Austin a part of my passive entertainment consumption like the rest of the bomb crew

skynidas

Banned
They do (or most likely will)! The Star Wars games from the PS4 bundle already have trophies. They are not remakes. Eurogamer showed they are the PS2 versions (with better image quality and framerate) with trophies added. This gels with the rumors Eurogamer reported earlier in the year, saying that PS1/PS2 classics would come to PS4 with trophies. The better image quality and framerate are just icing on the cake (some go from 30FPS to 60FPS).

well, if they do happen to have trophy support i will certainly pay for some PS2 classics. there are so many good games in that console that i no longer have... that would be awesome. it sounds like a PlayStation Experience announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom