• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

The manufacturers are just being consumer friendly here. When you have a Blu-Ray player that plays DVDs (pretty much all Blu-Ray players), you have two lasers. A red one (DVD) and a blue one (Blu-Ray, hence the name). I guess DVDs are so prevalent (and DVD lasers are so cheap) it makes sense for them to include it.

That makes sense. I thought it was something like that. It's already been confirmed the PS4 can read DVDs, so there's no reason that that could hold them back from full PS2 emulation. It's possible that the emulator is as such that they'd need to tune each release up, but I still wouldn't be surprised if this was a digital only thing.

well, if they do happen to have trophy support i will certainly pay for some PS2 classics. there are so many good games in that console that i no longer have... that would be awesome. it sounds like a PlayStation Experience announcement.

Also, to add fire to the notion this will be formally announced at PSX, the three Star Wars PS2 games are apparently exclusive for a couple weeks on the Battlefront/Disney Infinity 3.0 PS4 Bundles. They will then become available to purchase by all on PSN. What's also in a couple weeks? Yup, PSX.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
they really like the game, but the guys do add their own flair and hearing them discuss about decisions and characters is really enjoyable also.

Sometimes they....go a little too deep into the decisions. It's kinda maddening to me when they discuss the smallest of things, thinking it might actually have an gigantic impact three hours later. Can't think of a particular example though.
Also it's a bummer considering
the ending pretty much ignores everything you chose.

Also, to add fire to the notion this will be formally announced at PSX, the three Star Wars PS2 games are apparently exclusive for a couple weeks. They will then become available to purchase by all on PSN. What's also in a couple weeks? Yup, PSX.
What the fuck

Sometimes they....go a little too deep into the decisions. It's kinda maddening to me when they discuss the smallest of things, thinking it might actually have an gigantic impact three hours later. Can't think of a particular example though.

What the fuck

This was announced earlier this year. If you get the PS4 Bundle, you get a download voucher for Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Racer Revenge (you also get Super Star Wars). All are emulated PS2 games with better image quality and improved framerate.... and trophies! Like I said, it was rumored earlier in the year that PS1/PS2 games were coming to PS4 with trophy support. Sounds like a full PSX announcement is likely.

Eurogamer's hands-on with the games: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation

Video of the games in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6TdEstNUg

Back to the PS2 BC, other than the Star Wars games, apparently Dark Cloud 2, Twisted Metal Black, and Ape Escape 2 were all rated by Europe's PEGI as coming to PS4.

Also, as someone pointed out, PS4's SharePlay feature can be huge with a lot of the PS1/PS2 classics. Games that were multiplayer in an era without console online multiplayer would now be playable online. Imagine, Crash Team Racing (if Activision allowed Sony to sell a Crash game on PS4) being able to be played online. With SharePlay it would be!

The best mario sports game is the ice hockey game in mario party 5.

Edit: I just typed 1:1 in a different context and it reminded me of how much that term was getting thrown around during the Wii era and when we though motion control was gonna be a thing

yami4ct

Yeah but Ryan called it Unprofessional Friday.

Also... As much as UnPro can be up and down from week to week, it's still always better than any episodes of Happy hour.

I miss the dumb shit the Tested folks will get into. It was a fun break from just video game tom foolery. Comic Vine segments normally just didn't work, but that's just because I'm not super into comic books.

I probably enjoy UPF better than the old Happy Hours, but I've never really gotten bored with the regular premium features, so I guess that's why I keep paying.

If anyone would get completely put off the MMO filler in that game, it's Jeff. I'm also not sure if the battle system is his style.

Isn't he big into that MMO that never came out in the West? Name has escaped me. I still don't think he would ever enjoy Xenoblade but that MMO he's really into always seemed like an anomaly in his tastes.

yami4ct

Isn't he big into that MMO that never came out in the West? Name has escaped me. I still don't think he would ever enjoy Xenoblade but that MMO he's really into always seemed like an anomaly in his tastes.

PSO2 is kind of a different thing. It's way more Monster Hunter which makes the repetitive nature sort of work for it. It's also so much easier to ignore the 'this is all bullshit that means nothing' when you can't understand a good amount of what's being said.

AcridMeat

Banned
A couple months ago I watched some very old Giant Bomb videos, this was one of them. This is still one of the best pieces of content they've produced.

I also watched the Age of Booty Preview-ish video again, which is amazing to revisit knowing where Boyes is today.
Video Game Website, Coney Island Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaykcfi76vw
Yes! I forgot about the burning plastic!
required viewing for any GB initiate: Giant Bomb Tries Surströmming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO49pNF7XWw
Hahahah yes. This was the moment we knew Drew was a bad ass.
Also... As much as UnPro can be up and down from week to week, it's still always better than any episodes of Happy hour.
Wasn't there a Happy Hour where they got Dave super drunk and had him play Gran Turismo or Forza with a wheel?

Spoiler tags are for Life Is Strange episode 2.

I don't know, taking these decisions seriously is a big part of what makes these games worthwhile for me. It's interesting to hear them discuss all the factors for, for example,
pulling the trigger on Frank (is it worth antagonizing Frank to keep the gun? Can Chloe be trusted with one? Should we give it to Frank to frame him for theft later? etc.)
and seeing how it lines up with my reasoning. I'm excited to see how they'll react when the game takes its gloves off in the latter half.

Also, in my opinion, LiS - or any game that has the player make big decisions - doesn't need to show you the consequences for all the choices you make. Sometimes they are better off if they don't. If I wracked my brain for 5 minutes before
telling Kate to go to the police
, then that choice was real for me even if it's never explicitely brought up again. Of course, it's satisfying to see my actions have a direct effect, but a lot of games are too eager to show you every time and it ends up breaking the illusion for me (and LiS has problems with subtlety already). I can only think of examples from later episodes so I can't mention any, but it does have some moments that make you realize 'oh right, this is a videogame'.

Megasoum

Banned
Finding bugs in Rise of the Tomb Raider and then doing "Xbox Record That" to post the videos on facebook with all my friends and ex-coworkers who worked QA on it tagged is one of my only true pleasure in life lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom