• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure on Stelaris yet...

Granted I'm still early but I feel like I don't really have anything specific to do? I'm just exploring and building mining bases...

Anyway I'll keep going.

Also, how do you get more pop on a planet?

Food will increase new pop growth speed slightly, just mouse over the growing (faded) pop to see the speed. You can move them around the planet freely, just like any other pop. Excess food is, AFAIK, useless so once you max out on pop re-allocate excess food tiles into something else. (Keep in mind that colony ships take one pop, so you'll want a positive food balance to replenish them).

Planetary tile blockers are removed by specific techs.

As to specific goals, aside from the big "victory" goals (more will unlock later on, eventually) you will want to just fortify and strengthen your empire. Other empires you meet may or may not be friendly; some will take advantage of a weak military, for example, while others just want to get along.

A special note of Fallen Empires, though: they don't expand or interact with the galaxy at all, but will strike out at anyone violating their beliefs (e.g. spiritual FE's will go to war with anyone conquering their holy planets) so take special care not to cross them.

XZIPbke.png

Gurrry

How is the political stuff in Stellaris? I always enjoyed the dialogue options between countries in Civ 5, but I always felt like it was lacking.

How is the political stuff in Stellaris? I always enjoyed the dialogue options between countries in Civ 5, but I always felt like it was lacking.

there's a lot of different government types, in addition to advanced government types you can research and change into. for example, my moral democracy turned into a democratic utopia, and etc.

since government types are related to your people's traits, it also affects relationships between empires. not to mention as your people diversify/add alien pop into your empire, they can cause problems for you if the policies of your empire doesn't align to their traits.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
SO I've been playing senran kagura bon appetit which I got during the sale, and boy.

Now I've played the first game (which I thought was kinda terrible) so I'm not exactly new to what this series is about.

But boy.

Xseed really went for it.

Doop

SO I've been playing senran kagura bon appetit which I got during the sale, and boy.

Now I've played the first game (which I thought was kinda terrible) so I'm not exactly new to what this series is about.

But boy.

Xseed really went for it.

Do they show it?

Every game shows it.

Actual diplomacy is pretty basic, with trading, alliances, and rivalries, but the diplo AI is pretty sophisticated. Trading behaviours are based on ethos/government, with, say, Federation-Builders open to alliances and trade, while Ruthless Capitalistics are waiting for a good moment to strike on those weaker than them, which makes any agreements tenuous at best. Some will be open to research deals outright, while others only make those deals with allies, etc. It can lead to interesting situations.

Far as I know, Fallen Empires are the exception. They won't trade anything, ever.

Pocket Card Jockey could be a Top 10 GOTY for me. Its systems really aren't intimidating, I haven't read any of the big list of how to play and I think I understand the game well enough from the tutorial, general gameplay and loading screen tips. Don't let the concern about its complexity scare you off. Also I named a horse Brad Gluemaker.

Pocket Card Jockey could be a Top 10 GOTY for me. Its systems really aren't intimidating, I haven't read any of the big list of how to play and I think I understand the game well enough from the tutorial, general gameplay and loading screen tips. Don't let the concern about its complexity scare you off. Also I named a horse Brad Gluemaker.

Dark

Jintor

there's a lot of different government types, in addition to advanced government types you can research and change into. for example, my moral democracy turned into a democratic utopia, and etc.

since government types are related to your people's traits, it also affects relationships between empires. not to mention as your people diversify/add alien pop into your empire, they can cause problems for you if the policies of your empire doesn't align to their traits.

yeah but i'd hold off because actual diplomatic interaction with other empires isn't great right now I think. about civ v at launch levels.

yami4ct

Finished Uncharted 4. Man. That's a hell of a game. Totally and completely makes up for UC3 and sends the series off the way it deserves to go.

You can tell The Last of Us guys are behind this because, unlike almost every other Uncharted, the game has a story worth caring about with fantastic emotional hooks. The way it weaves new characters into the series' past while also making them feel like they've been there all along is amazing work. Everything builds to a fantastic emotional crescendo. Add to that Naughty Dog's astounding technical prowess on new hardware and you create a special experience I haven't had in some time.

Naughty Dog are freaking wizards and I'd follow them pretty much wherever they go. What an amazing year for video games.

On a side note, now that I've replayed a bit of Crash, my god that game plays way, way worse than I remember. Running toward the camera is such a bad way to play a platformer. Greatness from small beginnings indeed.

They were talking about funny Vac Ban videos on the gbcast, but searching it on youtube is impossible (clickbait galore). Is there actual good vid sources? I like seeing kids getting what they deserve.

Tagyhag

Man that last Mario Party was ROUGH. I actually got a headache from the music.

The game could have been harmless like 4 if they chose a normal map.

The sad thing is, now they'll definitely never do a non-normal map again. Which is a shame because 8's Monopoly map is a nice refresh. Could have been another Fortune Street.

Chuck

Still without luck
They're not allowed to listen to fan suggestions if this shitty game board was the result of it. Fucking worst by far.

KingKong

Doom is the prettiest game I've ever played I think, idtech 6 is incredible

Its like Rage on steroids, it just feels more immersive than other games

I cant believe this... the new Doom is actually good

UC4 is fantastic and Doom is great, especially when you upgrade your character. I am surprised that it got to me quicker than I thought it would but I'm really enjoying it. However, I'm going back to UC4 to finish it because I'm near the end.

justjim89

I hate people with fast internet complaining about unpacking speeds. I've been downloading Doom for 9 hours and still probably have another 8 to go at 900kb/s.

yami4ct

I hate people with fast internet complaining about unpacking speeds. I've been downloading Doom for 9 hours and still probably have another 8 to go at 900kb/s.

I feel you. The fastest download I've ever seen on my Steam account is around 204 kb/s down. At that speed, it takes me literally days to download a modern AAA game. People complaining about 15 minutes to unpack is a hilarious first world problem to me.

jaina

Posted already?

http://jeff.zone/post/144263660546/youve-said-before-that-you-didnt-want-to-do-video

Jeff on why video podcast soon etc.

I don't really care as long as the audio stays the same.
But my main concern is they used to be able to talk about stuff that was under NDA and release on Tuesday but if its LIVE they can't do that then.

Ever since the 2008 GOTY podcasts, I always wanted videocasts just so I can see reactions and such so I'm happy and in my opinion, more options to good things are always a good thing.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finished Uncharted 4. Man. That's a hell of a game. Totally and completely makes up for UC3 and sends the series off the way it deserves to go.

You can tell The Last of Us guys are behind this because, unlike almost every other Uncharted, the game has a story worth caring about with fantastic emotional hooks. The way it weaves new characters into the series' past while also making them feel like they've been there all along is amazing work. Everything builds to a fantastic emotional crescendo. Add to that Naughty Dog's astounding technical prowess on new hardware and you create a special experience I haven't had in some time.

Naughty Dog are freaking wizards and I'd follow them pretty much wherever they go. What an amazing year for video games.

On a side note, now that I've replayed a bit of Crash, my god that game plays way, way worse than I remember. Running toward the camera is such a bad way to play a platformer. Greatness from small beginnings indeed.
yeah it's a special game for sure. it's definitely up there with 2 but can't say if it's better or not just yet.

and if Doom is as good as these early impressions seem to imply then this week is just too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom