• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think total war will probably get around to the american civil war someday.

Also all civil wars are political landmines.

have you ever seen how they fought in the civil war? they stood like 100ft away from each other, totally still, and fired super inaccurate guns at each other. and then it took like an entire minute to reload.

and then that would basically go on until they decided to just run at each other with swords instead

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
have you ever seen how they fought in the civil war? they stood like 100ft away from each other, totally still, and fired super inaccurate guns at each other. and then it took like an entire minute to reload.

and then that would basically go on until they decided to just run at each other with swords instead

and then one guy thought it'd be a good idea to march 15.000 men across a mile of open ground covered by cannon fire.

Yeah I don't think that'd be a particularly interesting strategy game. There were cavalry charges but that's about the only interesting dynamic and that's been a thing in TW since forever.

Oh yes because realism is the first thing the shooter developers think about when coming up with a game.

Actually it might be kind of neat, as a game mechanic, if your bullets were precious for kills instead of being littered on the ground.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I just remembered the second (?) Call of Juarez game opened with a Civil War prologue and that game was actually pretty awesome. For some kind of action game I think the setting could work, just don't think it'd be a great setting for strategy game if you're being historically accurate (although I'm sure it actually has been done)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean it'll just be like napoleon, with less naval warfare. The political diplomacy stuff could actually be an interesting way to view the events of the civil war, if done right.

I think the disconnect I get is that I as an outsider largely view it as a historical event but there are still weird divides wrt to civil war in America in the present day isn't there?

I think the disconnect I get is that I as an outsider largely view it as a historical event but there are still weird divides wrt to civil war in America in the present day isn't there?

there's just a small percentage of the population who cling to the notion that the south was right, except that these beliefs are either based in racism or ignorance or some intersection of the two. the only reason that it's a big deal overall is because there's a good percentage of local politicians that side with these people, and so you get pushback over stuff like the $20 bill and the confederate flag when common sense would dictate that maybe honoring genociders on our money and displaying symbols of hate in an officially sanctioned manner is probably stupid.

but "heritage" I guess

Salarians

CiVkfiHXIAA359q.jpg:large

fuck this
y u c k

I grew up and currently live in an area where people unironically refer to it as the "War of Northern Aggression" and there's a confederate flag flying right across the street from the county government building I work in, so yeah, that divide still very much exists.

Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword had awesome muzzle-loading rifle combat. I loved setting up firing lines against charging enemies, giving the order to fire, and seeing most of the enemies fall at once as a wall of smoke erupt in front of us.

klonere

Banned

Yeah I agree Empire: Total War is super underrated.

popo

How they handle the guns is going to be interesting. Single shot rifles and charging with fixed bayonets will have a very different pace to previous battlefield games. Same with having your squad go over the top of their trenches and getting mowed down by machine gun fire within 10 metres.

On the other hand. If they go all - this is alternate history WW1 and the US invest bullet proof vests and scoped machine guns early - I can see a collective eye roll

On the other hand. If they go all - this is alternate history WW1 and the US invest bullet proof vests and scoped machine guns early - I can see a collective eye roll

probably not from the core group of people who are going to buy and play the game though so I doubt they care that much

I fully expect Battlefield 1 to be a reskin of the Battlefield game (engine?) with little changes mechanically. I mean that's basically what Battlefront and Hardline were so I don't expect a whole lot from this idea.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
This one is indeed good. I just listened to it while doing other stuff and it's basically a Donald Mustard interview.

This one is indeed good. I just listened to it while doing other stuff and it's basically a Donald Mustard interview.

Alright that sounds pretty good.

Also this Quick Look is different in that it's a known quantity. It bothers me when new games that I want to see have QL EXs because the dev or whoever is always more interested in hitting bullet points than letting them just play.

Megasoum

Banned
According to the beastcast it isn't alternate history anyway. Missed that bit.

Dice confirmed that it is NOT an Alternate history WW1 setting. They are taking some liberties and some stuff will be anachronistic (like weapons that were just prototype at the time for example) but they are still mostly going for the realistic route.

When WW2 games were still a thing and someone raised the idea of a WW1 game, the answer ALWAYS was "WW1 was boring and only about sitting in trenches, it wouldn't make an interesting game." That's all anyone ever had to say about a potential WW1 game.

What happened? Did we have a different WW1 in the meantime that replaced the one I know about?

A core mechanic of Battlefield games is unlocking weapons and the dozens of modifications for them. I wonder how much of that will still exist. They had sick holographic sights on the Winchester Model 1915, right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I played some mod for Half-Life where you had to reload musket guns and it took forever and you were in a panic to reload your gun before hte other guy did

and it was FUCKING awesome.

I played some mod for Half-Life where you had to reload musket guns and it took forever and you were in a panic to reload your gun before hte other guy did

and it was FUCKING awesome.

You're probably referring to Battlegrounds, the totally rad Revolutionary War mod. I dumped significant hours into that.

popo

When WW2 games were still a thing and someone raised the idea of a WW1 game, the answer ALWAYS was "WW1 was boring and only about sitting in trenches, it wouldn't make an interesting game." That's all anyone ever had to say about a potential WW1 game.

What happened? Did we have a different WW1 in the meantime that replaced the one I know about?

They have done WW2 and "modern warfare" to death. Then they moved to near future made up wars and exhausted them. COD is going all out sci-fi. EA is scraping the barrel of history. Nobody wants to touch Vietnam or Korea. People tried in the past and it was bad press all around.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
if Doomguy says, 'I can't believe he took an arrow to the knee' then it's as bad as you all act

otherwise it's just a dumb nod within a dumb nod which is kind of like a non-issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom