• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything that keeps MGSV from winning awards can only be a good thing. Hottest messes don't deserve accolades.

Since GBEast's Megadate, I can't help but think it winning Best Style was a mistake.
FailedNinjaEdit: I mean it won because it has those retro filters (on menus you barely look at) that the crew lambasts in every retro game ever.
best something?
2810318-2772365-2618314286-72rvw.jpg
That was definitely the hardest I've seen El Jefe go all-in during a GOTYcast. Dude was MM or bust from day one.

Didn't Jeff say it was one of the best games of all time or something like that? Anyways, there was some very high praise coming from him. No filibustering could hold back his sheer enthusiasm for MM.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Anything that keeps MGSV from winning awards can only be a good thing. Hottest messes don't deserve accolades.

Since GBEast's Megadate, I can't help but think it winning Best Style was a mistake.

I always though Galak-z looked terrible stylistically. It looks more like a newgrounds reject than something that evokes the things it's going for.

yami4ct

FailedNinjaEdit: I mean it won because it has those retro filters (on menus you barely look at) that the crew lambasts in every retro game ever.

It was also a mistake since Galak-Z was not a full released product in 2015 (Or I guess any other year since 17-Bit is never completing it at this point).

Meneses

Yeah, Galak-z was a weird choice. I guess they really liked that VHS pause screen.

On another note, I wonder if they will consider VR stuff along with regular games this year, or if they'll have a separate category for that.

kvk1

On another note, I wonder if they will consider VR stuff along with regular games this year, or if they'll have a separate category for that.

I don't see that happening this year at all. Maybe not even next year.

Probably a small side category.

GotY talk is always about personal tastes. That's what makes it so impassioned and bonkers!

Y'know, this sort of thing (Gif of the Year?):
bradwatchtheworldburn9xrof.gif

Yeah, Galak-z was a weird choice. I guess they really liked that VHS pause screen.

That's a good question. I can't help but wonder if any VR game would show up at all if they were mixed categories, though. The best VR experience GB has had is Hover Jonkers, AFAIK.

TRACERCORE for best moment, for sure, though.

yami4ct

I don't see why they won't consider a VR game in a category if it truly deserved to be there. I haven't seen any worth rewarding yet, but they may come.

We could also see a separate VR category in addition as well, though.

It was also a mistake since Galak-Z was not a full released product in 2015 (Or I guess any other year since 17-Bit is never completing it at this point).

Austin was saying that Void DLC was (essentially) the fifth chapter during the Megadate...

...which probably means there's enough time to revoke Galak-Z's 2015 Best Style win and give it to them this year. (Because who will remember the most innovative shooter of the year, anyways.)

yami4ct

Austin was saying that Void DLC was (essentially) the fifth chapter during the Megadate...

...which probably means there's enough time to revoke Galak-Z's 2015 Best Style win and give it to them this year.

I've said my piece on it a hundred times, but I'll summarize again:

Releasing a bad version of a mode that should've been there at launch is not a replacement for finishing the damn game.

kvk1

If the current trend holds, I can see the "Please Stop" category being won by VR tech demos, and them saying like "just release full-fledged games already."

yami4ct

If the current trend holds, I can see the "Please Stop" category being won by VR tech demos, and them saying like "just release full-fledged games already."

The problem is, no one has figured out what exactly is a fun full experience in VR. The ones that have tried, like Chronos and Lucky's Tale, are not really what you want. The tech demos are sort of still necessary to figure out what the hell is fun in VR.

Devs are still figuring out movement and camera control in VR, not to mention the standard control method (controller vs. handhelds / head-mounted vs. room-scale) and until that shakes out I dunno that they can do more than test the waters.

With the release of the Climb, I do think they really need to get a better handle on VR game pricing though. (I'm not into VR gaming, but it really is offputting to see such bizarre pricing.)
I've said my piece on it a hundred times, but I'll summarize again:

Releasing a bad version of a mode that should've been there at launch is not a replacement for finishing the damn game.

yami4ct
Catastroff-E

yami4ct

VR is going to take "Best short time game" category by storm, ain't a single damn VR game worth playing for more than about 30 minutes.

Watch Picross 3DS hit by the end of this year and win that category near unanimously.

Galak-Z doesn't even get the right kind of animation for the 70s/80s galactic space wars its referencing.

This was a year in which Splatoon came out, let me remind you.

It's a goddamn mess of style. The character models and general structure reference those old 70/80s space opera anime, but as you said the animation is just a bland flash mess. You then have the fact the dialogue is just a mess of boring, receptive, and cliche 'nerdy' references instead of being in that style. They could've done something reverential and cool and they completely blew it. The cool gameplay is literally the only thing it has going for it.

And the Splatoon thing goes without saying is a goddamn travesty. It's a Saint's Row III level of screw job.

Clash Royale has Best Short Time Game on lock, I think.
Galak-Z doesn't even get the right kind of animation for the 70s/80s galactic space wars its referencing.

This was a year in which Splatoon came out, let me remind you.
Don't forget
tumblr_nro1enskFP1qeuiqyo2_500.gif

And of course Tales From the Borderlands.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Are you being serious right now? I can't tell.

Were you in the GOTY thread when the proceedings were ongoing? You must have been a joy.

You're actively complaining about someone enjoying a game you did not 5 months after they said it was good.

imBask

Banned
You're actively complaining about someone enjoying a game you did not 5 months after they said it was good.

I don't wanna defend that other guy too much, but the only thing I was salty about was that Jeff dismissed Brad's very very VERY valid point about needing an external source to actually enjoy the game, and basically said "you're stupid MM is great period"

kvk1

Okay buddy, I'm deeply sorry.

I don't wanna defend that other guy too much, but the only thing I was salty about was that Jeff dismissed Brad's very very VERY valid point about needing an external source to actually enjoy the game, and basically said "you're stupid MM is great period"

What's wrong with you man? Go outside.

Jintor

Splatoon deserved that by a milllllllllle. Undertale is cool, but Splatoon is so much more special. Undertale fans being so vocal can't change that.

oh, that I'm not so sure on. The way Undertale mixes together its leitmotifs is freaking astounding. Splatoon's music is incredible (especially with those new songs! More updates, please!), but Undertale's metatextual elements are really impressive.

yami4ct

Undertale fans put me off playing Undertale. I don't claim this is rational, it's just what happened. I'll probably play it someday and enjoy it.

They legit hurt my game experience by putting it on such a pedestal. In some ways that's not fair, but let's not pretend expectations don't matter.

oh, that I'm not so sure on. The way Undertale mixes together its leitmotifs is freaking astounding. Splatoon's music is incredible (especially with those new songs! More updates, please!), but Undertale's metatextual elements are really impressive.

Most of Undertale's music is unpleasant to listen to and, while it's got an interesting use of leitmotifs, the music itself is pretty boring. Splatoon's sound is infinitely more unique and listenable.

Stellaris has this year's Best Music on lock.
*cries*

What was the external part of MM, needing others to make levels? Because I don't know what dark, alternate reality Brad is from, but MM hasn't ever been hurting for creators AFAIK. MGSV's external part of getting actively worse every time it connects to Konami's servers is an actual reality for the game.

yami4ct

Stellaris has this year's Best Music on lock.
*cries*

What was the external part of MM, needing others to make levels? Because I don't know what dark, alternate reality Brad is from, but MM hasn't ever been hurting for creators AFAIK. MGSV's external part of getting actively worse every time it connects to Konami's servers is an actual reality for the game.

Persona 5 is coming this year (believe). If anything has it on lock, there you go.

Sure they won't play it and it'll get snubbed, but it'll be the real winner.

Jintor

Most of Undertale's music is unpleasant to listen to and, while it's got an interesting use of leitmotifs, the music itself is pretty boring. Splatoon's sound is infinitely more unique and listenable.

okay here i think we just straight up disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom