• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

imBask

Banned
Stellaris has this year's Best Music on lock.
*cries*

What was the external part of MM, needing others to make levels? Because I don't know what dark, alternate reality Brad is from, but MM hasn't ever been hurting for creators AFAIK. MGSV's external part of getting actively worse every time it connects to Konami's servers is an actual reality for the game.

the currator pre-currator patch was abysmal. You had to check forums and shit to find good levels, otherwise you were stuck in a see of autoplay levels and 5 years old spamfest. Not including a good way to find levels in a game where 50% of the fun is playing other peoples level is really bad and shouldn't be pushed aside. It was also the way Jeff dismissed it that made people angry, I don't remember the exact phrasing but he did include the word stupid

ultimately who cares, but you know, cmon Jeff be nicer

Bacon

I wonder how much this year's goty format is gonna change. Seems like Vinny especially wants to do something different with it moving forward.

I'm glad I went into Undertale "clean." I read Austin's review, saw the positive buzz elsewhere, bought it without reading anything from the fans and really, really enjoyed it.

oh, that I'm not so sure on. The way Undertale mixes together its leitmotifs is freaking astounding. Splatoon's music is incredible (especially with those new songs! More updates, please!), but Undertale's metatextual elements are really impressive.

Hey hey hey I said that first.

Most of Undertale's music is unpleasant to listen to and, while it's got an interesting use of leitmotifs, the music itself is pretty boring. Splatoon's sound is infinitely more unique and listenable.

no

valeo

I wonder how much this year's goty format is gonna change. Seems like Vinny especially wants to do something different with it moving forward.

I'm sick of the GOTY stuff. I'd rather they put all that effort into something else. Ranking games is just so arbitrary.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thing is I don't really understand why Undertale got singled out for having a shitty fandom. It does, but so did anything in a really niche fanbase. Did people get turned off by the souls games because of its fanbase? It's kinda worse.

The stuff I'm reading in here is so emblematic of what puts me off about the Undertale fandom. Hyperbole incarnate.

Undertale is a good game but you won't find me forcing someone to play it or declaring it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But the music is next level and I can think of so many other fandoms that are worse.

Meneses

Undertale fans put me off playing Undertale. I don't claim this is rational, it's just what happened. I'll probably play it someday and enjoy it.

This was my experience. Generally speaking, invested fans of anything are annoying but I think these take the cake. Dark Souls super fans are similar.

I actually played it some time later and it was alright. The fan buildup definitely weighed in negatively in my reaction to it.

The true ending was actually kinda emotional, though.

The music is pretty good, better than Splatoon in my opinion (which I really didn't like).

Antiwhippy

Hell, not even niche fanbases, just fanbases in general. Look at how people act in uncharted review threads. And that dumb cod vs battlefield YouTube war.

yami4ct

Thing is I don't really understand why Undertale got singled out for having a shitty fandom. It does, but so did anything in a really niche fanbase. Did people get turned off by the souls games because of its fanbase? It's kinda worse.

Eh. They both are bad and they both get the amount of shit they deserve. I do think the Undertale fans are way more obnoxious in terms of actively hunting people down that disagree with them and harassing them.

I mean, I had someone read my Undertale complaints on Gaf and they actually came at me on twitter and told me to kill myself. I've bitched about a lot of games with niche fanbases and that's the first time that's happened. Hell, I've bitched about Bloodborne plenty and no one has felt the need to come at me on twitter.

A bit, I guess? I don't think I could point to any particular reason Undertale's fanbase irked me so much, though.
Undertale is a good game but you won't find me forcing someone to play it or declaring it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But the music is next level.

Put it on vinyl, I'll listen to it! Sounds like the use in the game adds a lot, though.

hamchan

I think it's real unfortunate if a fanbase turns you off from playing a great game. Thankfully I've never had this problem.

FluxWaveZ

People who let "fanbases" determine their desire to try something out or not will forever be very silly to me. Like I could care any less about the rabidity of a certain audience regarding how it informed my opinion of—or my desire to seek out—a work.

Antiwhippy

Eh. They both are bad and they both get the amount of shit they deserve. I do think the Undertale fans are way more obnoxious in terms of actively hunting people down that disagree with them and harassing them.

I mean, I had someone read my Undertale complaints on Gaf and they actually came at me on twitter and told me to kill myself. I've bitched about a lot of games with niche fanbases and that's the first time that's happened. Hell, I've bitched about Bloodborne plenty and no one has felt the need to come at me on twitter.

And that's super shitty, but there will be fans who does that for anything. It just takes one insane guy really.

yami4ct

People who let "fanbases" determine their desire to try something out or not will forever be very silly to me. Like I could care any less about the rabidity of a certain audience regarding how it informed my opinion of—or my desire to seek out—a work.

The Undertale fanbase raised my expectations so much that when the game didn't meet it, I walked away seeing way more of the negative of the game than the positive. Is it fair that expectations can color an opinion so much? Probably not, but I also can't pretend or ignore that that's what happened.

Meneses

A bit, I guess? I don't think I could point to any particular reason Undertale's fanbase irked me so much, though.

Put it on vinyl, I'll listen to it! Sounds like the use in the game adds a lot, though.

I think Undertale's music works better in the game, it goes pretty well with what's happening on screen.

I think it's real unfortunate if a fanbase turns you off from playing a great game. Thankfully I've never had this problem.

I have very little time to play games. A lot of factors, subconscious and conscious, go into deciding what I'm going to play. When I see fans being super hyperbolic and shitty, I'm less likely to be interested in their thing. Like I said before, I'm not saying this is rational or a good way of deciding, but it's a factor.

yami4ct

And that's super shitty, but there will be fans who does that for anything. It just takes one insane guy really.

There are quite a few fanbases that do similar, sure. On the other hand, let's not pretend that the Undertale fanbase isn't more vocal than normal. Pretty much anyone who was public in games last year was constantly bombarded by people demanding they check it out. Almost no other game get's that kind of push from its fanbase, and that can be really off-putting for obvious reasons.

And then you add the shitheads like the ones I ran into. Even when the Undertale fandom is trying to do good and be positive, they can be obnoxious as shit by sheer numbers.

Jintor

Your point is apparently that talking about Undertale the way I talk about any other video game in the giant bomb thread is hyperbolic

Settle down.

In this case, I don't see anyone really being any different from the normal tenor of discussion in this thread. Any time you talk GOTY or favorite games like this, you have people being dismissive and hyperbolic for dramatic and comedic effect. Hell, I just have been doing a bit of that here for my defense of Splatoon.

Ok yeah but Splatoon is awesome.

yami4ct

Your defensiveness is proving my point.

In this case, I don't see anyone really being any different from the normal tenor of discussion in this thread. Any time you talk GOTY or favorite games like this, you have people being dismissive and hyperbolic for dramatic and comedic effect. Hell, I just have been doing a bit of that here for my defense of Splatoon.

Let me be clear, though, me actively finding Undertale's music unpleasant to listen to is not the hyperbolic part. I admire the craft in it, but really don't like the end result.

FluxWaveZ

I have very little time to play games. A lot of factors, subconscious and conscious, go into deciding what I'm going to play. When I see fans being super hyperbolic and shitty, I'm less likely to be interested in their thing. Like I said before, I'm not saying this is rational or a good way of deciding, but it's a factor.

I get that. It's still really silly, and I'm glad that's not a factor at all for me when it comes to the media I choose to consume.

Antiwhippy

There are quite a few fanbases that do similar, sure. On the other hand, let's not pretend that the Undertale fanbase isn't more vocal than normal. Pretty much anyone who was public in games last year was constantly bombarded by people demanding they check it out. Almost no other game get's that kind of push from its fanbase, and that can be really off-putting for obvious reasons.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree that the fanbase is kinda shitty with how it tries to push the game. I think we even talked about it some during the goty threads. Just comes from people hoping that a small thing they like get the recognition they think it deserves, but they are really bad at actually moderating the tone and knowing when to back off.

yami4ct

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree that the fanbase is kinda shitty with how it tries to push the game. I think we even talked about it some during the goty threads. Just comes from people hoping that a small thing they like get the recognition they think it deserves, but they are really bad at actually moderating the tone and knowing when to back off.

And that's why the fandom has such a shit reputation. Even when you see its positive side, it tends to leave a negative impression.

I get that. It's still really silly, and I'm glad that's not a factor at all for me when it comes to the media I choose to consume.
Totally, I agree. The sort of framing of the discussion is probably magnifying how I feel about it. Others' reactions to a game rarely sway me one way or another, Undertale is just one case where it kinda was.

hamchan

At least Undertale got on the list last year while the real GOTYs Witcher 3 and Bloodborne had to duke it out for 10th place scraps.

Never forget 2015's true GotY
tumblr_nz7z75hPj21ubpbmgo1_500.gif

Persona 5 is coming this year (believe). If anything has it on lock, there you go.

Sure they won't play it and it'll get snubbed, but it'll be the real winner.

Good point! Persona 5 is style personified. The menus alone sold me on it as a winner, back before I even knew what Persona was.
the currator pre-currator patch was abysmal. You had to check forums and shit to find good levels, otherwise you were stuck in a see of autoplay levels and 5 years old spamfest. Not including a good way to find levels in a game where 50% of the fun is playing other peoples level is really bad and shouldn't be pushed aside. It was also the way Jeff dismissed it that made people angry, I don't remember the exact phrasing but he did include the word stupid

ultimately who cares, but you know, cmon Jeff be nicer

Oh right, that's what it was. Thanks.

Much harder to defend, but again, once you're looking at a game post-release there's no way MGSV stands up to muster. And any other game had no chance at GotY.
At least Undertale got on the list last year while the real GOTYs Witcher 3 and Bloodborne had to duke it out for 10th place scraps.
Witcher 3's inclusion seemed so weird back then, but it's made a lot more sense as 2016 has progressed. All of BEast are very positive towards the game, it's just that it's so massive that no one really has a chance to play it completely.

Jintor

I wonder why exactly Undertale generated this and not some other indie game. Was it just the general themes? The crossover from the Homestuck fandom/general tumblr culture pushing out into the wider internet?

Antiwhippy

Like I said though, it runs through any deep fandom. The souls fandom was also pretty obnoxious when demon's first came out due to the whole "URGH YOU"RE DOING IT WRONG YOU'RE NOT A REAL GAMER" shit. Tribalism is just endemic to the human race really.

Hell, we're super shitty too. I didn't even want to enter any gametrailers thread for awhile because someone is sure to throw some giantbomb... bomb into the thread and derail it to shit.

Zocano

I wonder why exactly Undertale generated this and not some other indie game. Was it just the general themes? The crossover from the Homestuck fandom/general tumblr culture pushing out into the wider internet?

Twee culture is strong

edit: But I am the walking embodiment of the Demon's Souls shit fandom so what do I know

yami4ct

Never forget 2015's true GotY

Good point! Persona 5 is style personified. The menus alone sold me on it as a winner, back before I even knew what Persona was.

Witcher 3 and LiS are very, very good games, but we all know the real GotY wasn't even looked at by a single GB staff member.

If Persona 5 is near as good as it looks like it should be, it should win Style, Music, Story and Game of the Year all at the very least. It could also probably make arguments for Best Moment and Best Character.

Meneses

I adore Souls games but i'm really put off by almost anything related to today's fanbase.

It's worse in the way that it has evolved into something that consists of a lot of "git gud" elitist mobs that actively disparage other Souls fans for a lot of stupid shit, from stuff like "you can't summon or you're shit" and "you can't use weapon x y and z because they're strong and for noobs and you're shit" to things like "wtf, you're using that chest piece with a long skirt? gtfo". And the lore discussions...

Long gone are the days when people would just be happy to see others get through a game.

But I think they spend too much time poisoning themselves and so they are a bit less visible than vocal fanbases who strictly focus on hyperbole and hostility against non-fans (like Undertale, Naughty Dog, Nintendo fans in general, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom