• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Funny thing, Dark Souls lore threads are so much more uninteresting than I used to think they were before I'd enter them. They're so mysterious while I'm playing and refusing to look inside, and I finally finish and look inside and go 'huh... I... guess I got most of that'.

Oh well, if people enjoy it, they enjoy it.

AcridMeat

Banned
If I was a part of that GOTY deliberation I would have come back with, "Yo we're gonna let a fancy map editor beat Rocket League?"

We all knew Mario Maker was gonna win from the start when Jeff had that amazing rant about Yoshi during E3 capped with "Super Mario Maker, Game of the Show."

Funny thing, Dark Souls lore threads are so much more uninteresting than I used to think they were before I'd enter them. They're so mysterious while I'm playing and refusing to look inside, and I finally finish and look inside and go 'huh... I... guess I got most of that'.

Most Dark Souls lore kinda falls flat with me.

I really enjoyed the BB lore though, especially with the context of The Old Hunters. I guess I just find the concept of hunters and lovecraftian horror way more interesting than dark fantasy.

yami4ct

The kind of main through line lore of DS1 and DS3 are actually pretty self evident for each. It's digging through all the connections with side characters where they get interesting.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 are both very different balls of wax. It's tough to even find the main story line.

pizzacat

Banned
If I was a part of that GOTY deliberation I would have come back with, "Yo we're gonna let a fancy map editor beat Rocket League?"

We all knew Mario Maker was gonna win from the start when Jeff had that amazing rant about Yoshi during E3 capped with "Super Mario Maker, Game of the Show."
"We're going to let some free game with a lower tier sport knock off beat the infinite Mario?"

That game, like the witcher 3 got lucky. Lots of games got lucky that people were saving arguments for SMM

Zocano

Souls lore got built up as this impossibly dense and obtuse ghost when in reality 1) if you read even the smallest percentage of item descriptions you'll piece most of the game together 2) they're not actually *thaaaaat* deep.

The fun stuff is how the stories were built from real world connections (Bloodborne has a lot of ties to Japanese festivals and, of course, lovecraft).

Jintor

I like the idea of cobbling together the lore back from item descriptions, but the actual stories DS3 was telling was kinda... boring. Or at least not super interesting to me.

Still something really Mythic about DS1 to me though.

yami4ct

I like the idea of cobbling together the lore back from item descriptions, but the actual stories DS3 was telling was kinda... boring. Or at least not super interesting to me.

I actually really love the DS3 lore. It's so wonderfully dark, dead and cold in a way that DS1 wasn't. It made the game feel even more oppressively sad and moody. I just love that it's
a post-post apocalyptic dark souls game.

Zocano

Having roughly the same narrative 3 games in a row, Dark Souls 3 kinda ended up doing nothing for me. And while I liked DS1 and 2, nothing will top the intrigue of Bloodborne for me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Weird thing about 2015 to me is that it's the year where I caught up on some past stuff to play, so I have so very little in common with the usual GOTY 2015 lists.

Like my top 5 would be.

1. Undertale
2. Life is Strange
3. Ys Origin
4. Ar tonelico 2
5. Ys II

I wonder why exactly Undertale generated this and not some other indie game. Was it just the general themes? The crossover from the Homestuck fandom/general tumblr culture pushing out into the wider internet?

Combination of the Homestuck ties (which itself is suffering from their game being delayed), strong characters generating strong connections with players (making things much more personal; hell think about how Alex described Napstablook and dial that up a notch), the "indie sensation" effect, a game catered to a group that hasn't gotten a game in that kind of style for a very long time... Bunch of things really, but a lot of them generating a very personal feeling for players that leads to the perception of an attack if criticism is levied at it.

AcridMeat

Banned
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/thursday-night-throwdown-032212/2300-5808/

Going through the old TNT and found this video. I had no idea that they had played mario party before. Does this mean they can skip this one?
I would love if that's the gimmick for this next one is Dan by himself. It would be a great twist. I completely forgot that they did that years ago though, holy hell.
In seriousness I agree, solid list.

Yall don't know the hurt of personal GOTYs getting no love. It's cold out here, and lonely.

I'm sick of the GOTY stuff. I'd rather they put all that effort into something else. Ranking games is just so arbitrary.

Science will not be denied, SIR.

Witcher 3 and LiS are very, very good games, but we all know the real GotY wasn't even looked at by a single GB staff member.

If Persona 5 is near as good as it looks like it should be, it should win Style, Music, Story and Game of the Year all at the very least. It could also probably make arguments for Best Moment and Best Character.

Two Trails games in 2015, no mentions in Music. I coulda done more. I shoulda done more.

P5 has the headwind of yuckleheads going "ENDURANCE RUN WHEN" and Jeff's "there's no Chie" thing. Jason and Austin should be on-board though for high placements though.

Edit: Just what did they do with that ratty old couch?

kvk1

I have a feeling MGSV wouldn't top the list if we had the vote today.

I agree.

Isn't the entire point of the GOTY casts to show how arbitrary their ranking is?

I don't think anyone with even a modicum of knowledge about the site and its personalities thinks this is a scientific exercise.

But with GOTY it's always been fun to frame it as such and create playfully combative arguments around their lists.

yami4ct

Two Trails games in 2015, no mentions in Music. I coulda done more. I shoulda done more.

P5 has the headwind of yuckleheads going "ENDURANCE RUN WHEN" and Jeff's "there's no Chie" thing. Jason and Austin should be on-board though for high placements though.

Edit: Just what did they do with that ratty old couch?

We must accept that there was nothing that could've been done. Even if they listened to a bunch of Trails music, there's no way they were going to give it any major thought given no one has played those games.

It's such a shame that those games don't do as well as they deserve. At least the fanbase seems to be at a stable level now.

yami4ct

You know I cannot recall a single piece of music from trails because I mostly played them as podcast games.

It's extremely good JRPG music. It's almost like someone took the style of track you were hearing in PS1 era JRPGs and made it with modern instrumentation. I don't think it's the greatest ever, but it's really well done.

yami4ct

I really like Trails games but the fanbase is on the brink of becoming Undertale-ified.

Outside of the 3 of us in GB thread, nah, not really. We get really excited in Trails related threads, but other than that we aren't that vocal.

I can see how you could see the few of us in this thread as borderline-UT fanbase, though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's extremely good JRPG music. It's almost like someone took the style of track you were hearing in PS1 era JRPGs and made it with modern instrumentation. I don't think it's the greatest ever, but it's really well done.

See, the thing is that the only style of JRPG music I find memorable is stuff from atlus.

I just don't find most game or movie OSTs to be that memorable, which is why I'm astounded whenever I find out people exclusively listen to game or film osts.

yami4ct

See, the thing is that the only style of JRPG music I find memorable is stuff from atlus.

I just don't find most game or movie OSTs to be that memorable, which is why I'm astounded whenever I find out people exclusively listen to game or film osts.

There is one single track that they play on throughout various pieces that really stands out in Trails in the Sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3VZBlmVWFM

If they had a track of the year, that one might be high up for me.

yami4ct

trails? more like shut the fuck up and let me play already. did camelot make this shit?

undertale goty 2015

I wish there was less playing of Undertale. Those dodge mini games were awful.

The story stuff in Trails is top freaking notch and the battles are at least decently fun to play (Unlike a certain other game).

I wish there was less playing of Undertale. Those dodge mini games were awful.

The story stuff in Trails is top freaking notch and the battles are at least decently fun to play (Unlike a certain other game).

Endless paragraphs of npc dialog don't make the generic anime story and world more interesting, it only makes it more tedious. The battles blow, too. It's just Lunar but worse.

Meneses

Outside of the 3 of us in GB thread, nah, not really. We get really excited in Trails related threads, but other than that we aren't that vocal.

I can see how you could see the few of us in this thread as borderline-UT fanbase, though.

Nah, it's not even the people here.

Stuff like the platform-wars and borderline fan-shaming regarding the third chapter being only for PC really soured me, or when people try to force feed Trails in some situations.

There haven't been many situations like this, hence why it hasn't really crossed the (admitedly arbitrary) line for me, but I think it would be worse if there were more fans.

yami4ct

Endless paragraphs of npc dialog doesn't make the generic anime story and world more interesting, it only makes it more tedious. The battles blow, too. It's just Lunar but worse.

If you think the story and world are generic anime, you did not play enough Trails.

Worse Lunar is still better than the garbage Undertale had.

TraBuch

Banned
It's too bad Cold Steel came out after the GOTY deliberations, would've been a lock for top five.

Also, can someone link some Bombcasts with just Jeff, Ryan and Vinny?

yami4ct

It kind of is, but it's like generic 80's anime.

It starts that way, but very few anime have a world as detailed and rich as the Trails world. Very few anime worlds are that politically rich and then you add in the ancient history aspect as well. I'd say that pushes it above 'generic'.

Nah, it's not even the people here.

Stuff like the platform-wars and borderline fan-shaming regarding the third chapter being only for PC really soured me, or when people try to force feed Trails in some situations.

There haven't been many situations like this, hence why it hasn't really crossed the (admitedly arbitrary) line for me, but I think it would be worse if there were more fans.

I feel there are like 3-4 shitty trails fans on all of Gaf and I know because those are the people that I've blocked in those threads.

Meneses

The battle theme in Trails First Chapter is almost like something out of an Elvis 70s Vegas show mixed with a tv show opening and it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom