• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokémon are real and not dumb digital monsters who can't be your friends.

7ce.jpg

Tubobutts

I don't want to watch the stream cause it might make me want to go back to WoW. And the buy the collectors edition of Legion. And then try to buy the collectors edition of Warlords.

I don't want to watch the stream cause it might make me want to go back to WoW. And the buy the collectors edition of Legion. And then try to buy the collectors edition of Warlords.

I'm definitely feeling a tingle.

I was getting Legion anyway. I only stopped playing WoD because there was nothing left to do but Heroic and Mythic raiding.

Houndi101

I just got the free Warlords and 7 days of game time yesterday from Blizz.
I think I'm gonna level up something for that Hearthstone paladin..

man, gear itemisation was absolutely nuts in vanilla. Blizzard seems to have a tradition of terrible loot until the first expansion.

It was set to early Alpha values where more emphasis was on the base 5 stats. Some bosses were soloed and some specs never shook out and the game had to come out for Christmas of 04 and it took to BC till it got fixed for good.

daydream

Banned
we got up to episode 16 in today's p4 er rewatch partay, in case anyone wants to catch up on their own time

see you (hopefully) next week!

daydream

Banned
When this stream is over, and you get a hankering for some hot MMO action that's deserving of being played in the year of our lord 2016, why don't you give Final Fantasy 14 a try?

http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/na/

We have a lovely Giant Bomb guild on the Ultros server, and any one of you fine boys/girls would be a joyous addition.

http://giantbomb.guildwork.com/

Thank you for your time.

can confirm it's fun

sadly i'm on some server no one else i know is on

Zaph

Really into this stream. Rorie's great at chilled solo content

It was set to early Alpha values where more emphasis was on the base 5 stats. Some bosses were soloed and some specs never shook out and the game had to come out for Christmas of 04 and it took to BC till it got fixed for good.

Huh, never played the beta so didn't know that. So they iterated on the itemisation, realised it introduced bigger problems, then rolled back for launch?

Rorie is really holding it down on the stream. Fun listen!

Also It's not giving me an urge to play WoW but it is kinda making me wanna play Hearthstone for some reason.

yami4ct

When this stream is over, and you get a hankering for some hot MMO action that's deserving of being played in the year of our lord 2016, why don't you give Final Fantasy 14 a try?

http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/na/

We have a lovely Giant Bomb guild on the Ultros server, and any one of you fine boys/girls would be a joyous addition.

http://giantbomb.guildwork.com/

Thank you for your time.

Out of curiosity, how much worthwhile content could you get through in FFXIV in a free month? Subscription fees are what keep me away from MMOs in general. FFXIV has always seemed really interesting to me, but I don't really want to pay subscription fees for a game that just continues infinitely. I have enough money sinks.

Zaph

Also It's not giving me an urge to play WoW but it is kinda making me wanna play Hearthstone for some reason.

Old Gods is nuts. C'Thun adds a cool foreboding twist to games, Yogg is just hilarious, and some shit like Evolve makes me wonder the hell the meta is going to settle into (if it doesn't get nerf'd to hell).

odin, i think
Ah, at least that's a fairly active server. That's the server I was originally going to join before joining Cerberus.
Out of curiosity, how much worthwhile content could you get through in FFXIV in a free month? Subscription fees are what keep me away from MMOs in general. FFXIV has always seemed really interesting to me, but I don't really want to pay subscription fees for a game that just continues infinitely. I have enough money sinks.

Depends on how much you're willing to play. The main story in ARR alone is probably a minimum of 75 hours, once you get to the end of that you would then open up the various raids from ARR which you could then jump into or carry on with the main story quests that were added in the patches before the Heavensward expansion. I'd imagine that unless you were playing for a minimum of 5 hours a day you probably won't get further than the patches before Heavensward.

yami4ct

Ah, at least that's a fairly active server. That's the server I was originally going to join before joining Cerberus.

Depends on how much you're willing to play. The main story in ARR alone is probably a minimum of 75 hours, once you get to the end of that you would then open up the various raids from ARR which you could then jump into or carry on with the main story quests that were added in the patches before the Heavensward expansion. I'd imagine that unless you were playing for a minimum of 5 hours a day you probably won't get further than the patches before Heavensward.

I can knock out a 75 hour game in a month and half or so depending on various factors. Maybe someday I'll take like a 3 month stretch in the summer and go for it.

Zornack

Has Hearthstone slowed down or angled toward control decks? It seems like they dumped a lot of high cost cards in this update.

Not really. Aggro shaman and zoo warlock are still very strong. A number of control decks are strong too though, like freeze mage and control warrior.

I can knock out a 75 hour game in a month and half or so depending on various factors. Maybe someday I'll take like a 3 month stretch in the summer and go for it.

I reckon for all the current main story quests you'd be looking at like 200 hours as a bare minimum, so you could probably cover a decent chunk of Heavensward in three months.

Zaph

Rorie isn't lying about wow-time regret, that shit is real.

But have to wonder if it's just exaggerated by not being able to see an accurate counter of the accumulated time you've spent in other games over the last decade.

It's a pretty enjoyable single-player experience, as well. At least, it was back when I was playing pre-Heavensward. I only sought out groups for the end game stuff but I'm guessing the older raids are now doable just doing pick-up groups.

You guys talking about it actually makes me curious to jump back in and see all the new content, but that would be a dangerous road for me and I keep telling myself I should experience new stuff from my backlog instead.

yami4ct

But have to wonder if it's just exaggerated by not being able to see an accurate counter of the accumulated time you've spent in other games over the last decade.

I love the pervasiveness of play counters. I think the most I've played a game aside from Puzzle and Dragons is probably Fallout 3. I put around 120 hours or so into that game in the DLC. Persona 4 would top it if you count both versions. That's around 170 hours. I might've got close to that on League on Legends when I got super into that for a summer. Fire Emblem Fates will definitely be top once I beat all 3 campaigns.

I'm kinda surprised I don't have that one game I've put a stupid amount of hours into. I've got a ton of 70-100 games, but nothing that's like 400 hours.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

To be fair, a lot of that time is sitting afk while you're doing something else

It's a pretty enjoyable single-player experience, as well. At least, it was back when I was playing pre-Heavensward. I only sought out groups for the end game stuff but I'm guessing the older raids are now doable just doing pick-up groups.

You guys talking about it actually makes me curious to jump back in and see all the new content, but that would be a dangerous road for me and I keep telling myself I should experience new stuff from my backlog instead.

Thankfully it remained a good single-player experience in Heavensward and I doubt that's changed in the patches since. I've not really played it since like last July and it's a shame because I really like the game but I struggle to find the time for it.
any plans from GB or GBE doing any hearthstone coverage on this new xpac?

I think Vinny mentioned that they should maybe look at it again on the Beastcast.

Zaph

Would like to see Rorie do a TBC version of this - definitely the best raiding period in WoW

edit: Rorie reading gaf
taFT5s5.gif

Megasoum

Banned

I did a /played on all my characters the other day... This obviously doesn't count the deleted characters but none of them were played for that long so it's fairly accurate...

I was at 310 days....7 441 hours total...

The worst part was that most of that time was done in a 10-11month period around BC's launch lol.

Really into this stream. Rorie's great at chilled solo fnord

Huh, never played the beta so didn't know that. So they iterated on the itemisation, realised it introduced bigger problems, then rolled back for launch?

Nah, it was stuck working with old values and tech trees; in fact, they did little (xmas was looming). Only 5-alarm fires like Hunters and +hit really got looked at and that was after launch.

Zaph

I did a /played on all my characters the other day... This obviously doesn't count the deleted characters but none of them were played for that long so it's fairly accurate...

I was at 310 days....7 441 hours total...

The worst part was that most of that time was done in a 10-11month period around BC's launch lol.

Yup, that was definitely around the same WoW got its claws in me. Myself and my group of friends had all started uni and moved to different parts of the country - so WoW+ventrilo was our way of staying in touch.

I still want the days back that we spent on Kael and M'uru. I remember one raid going 20 hours with only a few food breaks.

LiK

Nioh Playdate was surprisingly entertaining even with all those server issues. Vinny knew how to work it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I skipped ahead a bit when the Nioh thing didn't work just to check what they did, and for a second I thought they were playing The Witcher 3. Nioh dude looks a lot like Geralt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom