• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Splatoon doesn't really have style

I mean, it didn't help the WiiU win any accolades. Overwatch though, it's about to blow away the consoles and PC. Splatoon could never do that.

Sorry Splatoon, you lost.

hamchan

Dark Souls 3 will make the top 10 depending on whether this year is as good as last year.

Remember that Bloodborne only just missed out to the Witcher 3 of all things. The same people that beat Bloodborne that is, Brad, Jason and Austin have been the ones to beat Dark Souls 3.

yami4ct

Splatoon doesn't really have style

I mean, it didn't help the WiiU win any accolades. Overwatch though, it's about to blow away the consoles and PC. Splatoon could never do that.

Sorry Splatoon, you lost.

Splatoon is all over the place. It won't hit Overwatch numbers, because nothing outside of MOBAs will hit that, but the Splatoon community is pretty damn huge for a single console release and won numerous awards last year.

Also, Sales don't definite Style. Everything in Splatoon is style. The graphics, the music, the world design. Hell, style is even a game mechanic. That game doesn't just have style, it is style.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Look, all I know is that galak-z won giantbomb's best styyyyyyyle award, so objectively it has more style than splatoon.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
but it looks like 80s anime!

except if 80s anime was done in what looks like a shitty flash program that animated shows on jetix!

yami4ct

Ok well I can agree that Galak-Z winning style is well

Just wrong

An unfinished game with pretty awful character designs that fail to evoke what they're trying to evoke beat Splatoon. Dammit GB, what are you thinking? How could you let a clever boot up sequence and pause screen cloud your judgement of the whole product?

yami4ct

Also didn't hotline Miami 2 do the same thing?

Hotline Miami is a bad game, so I'm not surprised it got ignored in that case.

Still, valid point. Galak-Z winning best style becomes more and more of a horrible mark on Giant Bomb's credibility. This is worse then when they gave Skyrim GOTY. The really ought to issue a formal apology and revoke that award. How can we trust their silly lists ever again?

The system is built on credibility and it will begin to crumble. I demand justice!

Jintor

seriously though splatoon doesn't get nearly enough mechanical props, and it got quite a lot

the elegance of the ink system is incredible. It covers like five different functions all at once, maybe more.

yami4ct

the fuck

I'm gonna assume you forgot the 2 there

You are correct there. I don't dig 1 as much as some, but it's far from a bad game. I was referring to 2.

seriously though splatoon doesn't get nearly enough mechanical props, and it got quite a lot

the elegance of the ink system is incredible. It covers like five different functions all at once, maybe more.

The best part of Splatoon for me is how unintimidating the main turf war mode is for me as a casual player. The fact that the game focuses far more on me getting ink on the ground than shooting people in the face means I don't have to really worry as much that my skills are letting the team down. I always feel like I'm helping. Nintendo has made a shooter friendly in a way they haven't ever really been and it's such a clever and very Nintendo-way of handling it.

yami4ct

You know what game has cool mechs? Xenoblade X. You can also paint them any color you want. I even have a pink one. Well, it's more of a Magenta, but it's close.

The customization in that game is so good. I wish they had even more and you could change the head design, chest design, alt mode, etc., but what's there is super solid. Hope it returns for XC3.

yami4ct

I'd play it but I didn't want to cart a TV with me when I moved out.

No I'm not gonna play it on the pad.

I've been playing it on the pad a lot so I can watch other shit while playing. It's fine there, but I'm a crazy person that typically prefers handhelds to consoles.

Text on the pad is too small, but that's a problem everywhere in that game even on a TV. Who thought that mission and menu font size was readable?

demidar

I've been playing it on the pad a lot so I can watch other shit while playing. It's fine there, but I'm a crazy person that typically prefers handhelds to consoles.

Text on the pad is too small, but that's a problem every where in that game even on a TV. Who thought that mission and menu font size was readable?

The same people who did the UI for Dead Rising 1.

It's so good when Jeff is reading the letters in the one PlayStation Underground Demo Derby and he ends the one he gives the snooty voice with "Bodymore, Murderland."

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No, in this instance it really makes no sense because you can get it AUD$30 cheaper (making it 60USD) in a physical store and the game uses steamworks anyway.

It's so good when Jeff is reading the letters in the one PlayStation Underground Demo Derby and he ends the one he gives the snooty voice with "Bodymore, Murderland."

I like how in that terrible Sum of All Fears movie adaptation that they nuked Baltimore, and it's like, well, it's not like anybody's going to be able to tell the difference

Houndi101

So, who would fit the best as a guest to the Final Games podcast from GB crew?

About the games that inspired us. Desert Island Discs, but for games!

So choose 7 games to take to a deserted place with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom