• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to watch the Clash Royal QL just now because I want to see this stupid game they've been talking about for months.

Brad on this weeks bombcast: "my ratio of playing it to having fun with it is abysmal"

Brad and Dan on Clash Royal QL: "It's so much fun!" for 40 minutes straight

Sounds like a free to play game alright. Also why does it look like all the animations in this game are missing frames

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Decided to watch the Clash Royal QL just now because I want to see this stupid game they've been talking about for months.

Brad on this weeks bombcast: "my ratio of playing it to having fun with it is abysmal"

Brad and Dan on Clash Royal QL: "It's so much fun!" for 40 minutes straight

Sounds like a free to play game alright. Also why does it look like all the animations in this game are missing frames

Thought it was fun for a while too, then it began to feel like a chore. Deleted it and don't miss it at all.

Megasoum

Banned
The more I play Uncharted 4 the less I actually like it...

The gameplay loop is SUPER repetitive. Climb from A to B... Surprise! The bad guys got to B before you... Gunfight.... Climb some more... Get to C... Surprise! The bad guys got to C before you... AGAIN...More gunfight... Rince and repeat for 15 hours.

Mixed in with super slow story exposition chapters.

The set pieces are still really fucking impressive and fun but the game in general is nothing to go crazy about...

I have like 80% of the game done right now so I'm gonna finish it for sure but at this point I just want to get rid of it so I can switch to DOOM.

The gameplay loop is SUPER repetitive. Climb from A to B... Surprise! The bad guys got to B before you... Gunfight.... Climb some more... Get to C... Surprise! The bag guys got to C before you... AGAIN...More gunfight... Rince and repeat for 15 hours.

The set pieces are still really fucking impressive and fun but the game in general is nothing to go crazy about...

I have like 80% of the game done right now so I'm gonna finish it for sure but at this point I just want to get rid of it so I can switch to DOOM.

As I said before, it will do nothing for you if you never cared for the characters.

chogidogs

I spent 60 dollars on Clash Royale my first 2 weeks playing the game. Hit a plateau. Realized I'm an idiot. Deleted it and never looked back.

I regret everything.

I finally played that big uncharted 4 jeep chase that was the e3 demo last year.

That driving bit controls like crap. Holy shit.

Loving the rest of the game but that jeep on those streets was rough.

After like 10+ hours I just found out by accident that the touchpad is the horn when driving the jeep.

this seems like absolutely mandatory, first thing in the game type of information

what fucking game has a secret horn

you should be hitting that shit at all times

Dineren

Banned

The gameplay loop is SUPER repetitive. Climb from A to B... Surprise! The bad guys got to B before you... Gunfight.... Climb some more... Get to C... Surprise! The bad guys got to C before you... AGAIN...More gunfight... Rince and repeat for 15 hours.

This kind of worries me a bit. I bought the Uncharted collection to play through before starting on 4 and I think I might hate Uncharted. I loved the first game when it originally came out, but after making it to the third game in the collection I find myself dreading it every time I enter an area and see cover spots.

I still enjoy the character interactions, but I think I should've just played on the easiest difficulty since I haven't found the gameplay fun in any of them so far. Hearing that 4 has that exact same loop makes me want to abandon the series and go back to Doom.

This kind of worries me a bit. I bought the Uncharted collection to play through before starting on 4 and I think I might hate Uncharted. I loved the first game when it originally came out, but after making it to the third game in the collection I find myself dreading it every time I enter an area and see cover spots.

I still enjoy the character interactions, but I think I should've just played on the easiest difficulty since I haven't found the gameplay fun in any of them so far. Hearing that 4 has that exact same loop makes me want to abandon the series and go back to Doom.

lol, some people are complaining that there isn't enough combat in this one which is a totally valid complain. For me though, what made this one memorable to me was the quiet moments which are technically non-present in the previous ones. You see everyone mention the dinner scene but there are many other moments like that spread across the game that I felt took the characters in interesting directions. What makes it work obviously is ND's attention to detail is insane in even the most mundane things.

Megasoum

Banned
lol, some people are complaining that there isn't enough combat in this one which is a totally valid complain. For me though, what made this one memorable to me was the quiet moments which are technically non-present in the previous ones. You see everyone mention the dinner scene but there are many other moments like that spread across the game that I felt took the characters in interesting directions. What makes it work obviously is ND's attention to detail is insane in even the most mundane things.

UC4 spoiler obviously

The chapter in the old house was cool and fucking creepy

Kimaka

I had more fun watching LPs of Uncharted than playing the series. I enjoy the characters and the platforming even as automated as that is, but I dislike the gunplay portions. I will probably get 4 eventually for the sake of completion, but may make someone else play the shooting parts if I get too annoyed with it.

The graphics are crazy as fuck in UC4 as well. I've spent a lot of time just fuckin around with the photo mode.

I'll acknowledge in time other games will surpass it visually and the impact diminished. But yes. First and only game this gen to really impress me on that level.

Shooting is competent and fine and probably great by third person cover shooter standards. I'm just burnt out on that combat. I appreciate that it's not shooting arena after shooting arena, at least so far.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah at this point I kinda dread all the shooting sections... I don't mind the huge amount of climbing that much but the shooting can get tiresome.

Edit: Fuck it... Enough Uncharted for tonight... Let's go play some Doom!

Dineren

Banned
Guess I'll push through 3 since I'm already halfway through. There has been enough praise for 4 that I kind of want to see it through even if I'm not enjoying it all that much.

Salarians

Guess I'll push through 3 since I'm already halfway through. There has been enough praise for 4 that I kind of want to see it through even if I'm not enjoying it all that much.
If it's any consolation, 3 is the absolute worst in terms of combat encounter design. 4 is much better.

Yeah at this point I kinda dread all the shooting sections... I don't mind the huge amount of climbing that much but the shooting can get tiresome.

Edit: Fuck it... Enough Uncharted for tonight... Let's go play some Doom!

Doom is real damn good, legit stunned. Never enough good things to say about that game, I hope it sells millions. What a fantastic week though with Doom & UC4.

Megasoum

Banned
Not having to hit reload after every 2-3 shots is a VERY difficult habbit to break lol.

I'm a bit of a compulsive reloader in FPS normally so this is fucking weird for me.

Salarians

That fucking boat graveyard section in 3.... /shivers
I didn't dislike UC3 to the degree some did, but my enjoyment of the game lessened after Chloe and Cutter left, then dropped to a series low after Nate gets separated from everyone else.

UC4 has some questionable pacing but I still enjoyed it from start to finish. That is, excluding a couple late game encounters that were a nightmare on hard (I blame myself) and that one final superfluous climbing sequence.

The worst thing that can happen in Doom is clearing a room only to find that you missed out on a powerup right after the fighting is done. Totally whiffed on the first Quad Damage even though it was on a platform right in the middle of the room. D'oh.

Lijik

Havent played 4, but I remember feeling the shootouts in Uncharted 1-3 consistently lasted one more wave than I would've liked.

LiK

Havent played 4, but I remember feeling the shootouts in Uncharted 1-3 consistently lasted one more wave than I would've liked.

It's better in UC4. Hell, some people complain that there's not enough shooting in UC4. I dunno about them but I thought it was pretty well balanced against the traversal ratio.

Doop

The worst thing that can happen in Doom is clearing a room only to find that you missed out on a powerup right after the fighting is done. Totally whiffed on the first Quad Damage even though it was on a platform right in the middle of the room. D'oh.

I hate it when I miss a berserk, because that one is just so over the top. Literally tearing imps in half with your bare hands.

Megasoum

Banned
Really bums me out that I have to run DOOM on Medium and even then, I need to reduce the resolution scaling to 90% if I want to have a somewhat stable 60...

I need to upgrade my 770.... Ugh

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The shootout design in UC4 is so much better. Enemies attack from all sides and it forces you to use the new traversal mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom