• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just played Doom on my Rift and it was awesome. It was also the first time I started to feel queasy in VR. I played the first 3 Doom 2 maps and that was all I could handle. I'll have to munch on some ginger before trying it again.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I just played Doom on my Rift and it was awesome. It was also the first time I started to feel queasy in VR. I played the first 3 Doom 2 maps and that was all I could handle. I'll have to munch on some ginger before trying it again.

Wait, does it have native VR support?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ah, you meant the original one. Though you were talking about the 2016 version.

This is why I kinda dislike this trend of sorta reboots just using the original name. Must be a nightmare for sorting systems.

The more I play Uncharted 4 the less I actually like it...

The gameplay loop is SUPER repetitive. Climb from A to B... Surprise! The bad guys got to B before you... Gunfight.... Climb some more... Get to C... Surprise! The bad guys got to C before you... AGAIN...More gunfight... Rince and repeat for 15 hours.

Mixed in with super slow story exposition chapters.

The set pieces are still really fucking impressive and fun but the game in general is nothing to go crazy about...

I have like 80% of the game done right now so I'm gonna finish it for sure but at this point I just want to get rid of it so I can switch to DOOM.

That has been my problem with the other Uncharted games... Glad I held off on 4 cause it sounds like I would have been disappointed.

Quick Look: Homefront: The Revolution
VIDEO ON MAY 18, 2016 06:00 AM

What will the avatar have to hide in this time?
screenshot-2014-11-19-at-16-32-46-stare-at-the-coffee-the-weirdest-things-video-games-have-ever-asked-you-to-do-png-177959.jpg

It's even weirder because both Crytek and ultimately Deep Silver said, we need that Homefront name to sell an FPS. In my mind, the name is an anchor.

Dineren

Banned
You will need this:

http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/

Brad played some on UPF. He's more of a man than I am. He seemed unfazed, but I was definitely on the verge of getting ill.

I played through the first few levels of the original Doom and had pretty much the same experience. It's the only thing that has bothered me in VR. I want to try again with a controller and see if it was just because I was flinging the mouse around too fast.

Still worth it even with a little motion sickness though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Homefront was a big release at the time, it was fucking terrible though.

Was it really though? It was received mostly as a joke well before it came out, reviews were bad, and it bombed pretty hard, THQ didn't exactly need help but they took a huge stock hit after it was released.

Jintor

Was it really though? It was received mostly as a joke well before it came out, reviews were bad, and it bombed pretty hard, THQ didn't exactly need help but they took a huge stock hit after it was released.

THQ wanted it to be one, certainly.

Confession time! I kind of liked the multiplayer in Homefront. I liked the way the weapons felt, thought the vehicle purchase system was pretty good, I liked the weird bounty thing they did. Single player was pretty "meh" though.

Jintor

Confession time! I kind of liked the multiplayer in Homefront. I liked the way the weapons felt, thought the vehicle purchase system was pretty good, I liked the weird bounty thing they did. Single player was pretty "meh" though.

yeah me too.

got buried tho

Megasoum

Banned
I clicked on a random "Best of Giantbomb" video and landed on a E3 conference montage....

Man... I'm getting fucking HYPED for E3 right here.

Curufinwe

Was less of an issue in the Remaster. The fight in the cruise ship theater was still a clusterfuck tho. A death trap that I had to retry quite a bit.

The sandstorm with the snipers and rocket launcher dudes drove me nuts in U3 on Normal.

On the remaster it seemed more manageable even though I was playing on Hard.

So far (11 chapters done) U4 is smooth sailing on Moderate. Second time I'll just go straight to Crushing.

Salarians

I think I'm more excited for the mixlr drive than E3 itself. I wonder who Jeff will get to join him this year...

HOT THE POINT UPDATE: Kish was on scene at that Mass Effect ride thing and is apparently doing a video on it.

You shouldn't tell lies, its not nice. Someone might believe you and go out and pick up a copy

i mean granted i was like twelve but i remember you could shoot guys helmets and they would fly off their head really dumb and the walls were destructible. i was pretty into it

i remember it came out right next to Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, which I was also really excited about. maybe I was just a dumb kid.

I remember almost smashing my controller when the...
fire people (???)
first showed up in Uncharted 3. I thought "whelp, I'm just not gonna be able to finish this game."

Never felt anything near that in U4.

the thing that bothered me about uncharted 2 and 3's supernatural stuff was that they never committed to any of it.

like, i'm down to get weird with that kinda stuff, but they always stepped back from it at the last minute in a really weird way. so it just became an inconviencnce to the gameplay and a cheap narrative trick?

also remember when they killed scully and immediately retconned it? or how chloe and that other guy just disappear. uncharted 3 was really cool with set-pieces and the desert stuff but was sort of a mess otherwise

CrazyDude

the thing that bothered me about uncharted 2 and 3's supernatural stuff was that they never committed to any of it.

like, i'm down to get weird with that kinda stuff, but they always stepped back from it at the last minute in a really weird way. so it just became an inconviencnce to the gameplay and a cheap narrative trick?

also remember when they killed scully and immediately retconned it? or how chloe and that other guy just disappear. uncharted 3 was really cool with set-pieces and the desert stuff but was sort of a mess otherwise
UC4 spoilers
Which is why I like Uncharted 4. I think it developed the lost city the best and it's downfall was made more interesting even without supernatural elements.

UC4 spoilers
Which is why I like Uncharted 4. I think it developed the lost city the best and it's downfall was made more interesting even without supernatural elements.

it's the only game where the lost city actually had an interesting story for me, also the only one where you actually explored it without being shot at constantly. I really dug that.

i mean granted i was like twelve but i remember you could shoot guys helmets and they would fly off their head really dumb and the walls were destructible. i was pretty into it

i remember it came out right next to Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, which I was also really excited about. maybe I was just a dumb kid.

I don't remember which one Turning Point was, but man you're reminding me that I put up with some bad shooters in those early PS3/360 years. Frontline, Blacksite: Area 51, Timeshift, Clive Barker's Jericho, Turok, Legendary, Kane & Lynch, Saboteur. What the heck was going on back then?

I don't remember which one Turning Point was, but man you're reminding me that I put up with some bad shooters in those early PS3/360 years. Frontline, Blacksite: Area 51, Timeshift, Clive Barker's Jericho, Turok, Legendary, Kane & Lynch, Saboteur. What the heck was going on back then?

can't forget darkest days either!

i kinda miss that era. i think the cost of making a game like that now has effectively killed that tier of shooters.

say what you will about all of those games (they were all varying degrees of bad) but at least they all had really weird and cool premises. or were just different.

Lunar FC

I tried playing HL2, and nearly threw up. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom