• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too bad Overwatch doesn't have a war crime in it.

Although that could change if Overwatch gets a new hero.

how are last hitting, item limits and height evasion bizarre? Maybe they came out of necessity but they're very good features that add a lot to the gameplay

• Last hitting: leads to really counterintuitive weapon speeds, very restrictive damage amounts, and is in general a weird mechanic when heroes autoattack anyways.
  • Item limits: WC3 engine limitation, which lead directly into the bizarre item fusion mechanic.
  • Evasion on hills: aka the only cover in the game. Forget bushes, fellow minions, or buildings--inclines are the real deal.
I think it's launching at midnight GMT so that'll be Monday for the Americas and Tuesday for everyone else

Ah, that might be it. There's been confusion about the launch.

Edit: Lol, and just as I'm watching the Paragon Unfinished they announce a free weekend for the game--PC and PS4. May 26-30.

Salarians

CCzEbGm.jpg

TGMIII

• Last hitting: leads to really counterintuitive weapon speeds, very restrictive damage amounts, and is in general a weird mechanic when heroes autoattack anyways.
  • Item limits: WC3 engine limitation, which lead directly into the bizarre item fusion mechanic.
  • Evasion on hills: aka the only cover in the game. Forget bushes, fellow minions, or buildings--inclines are the real deal.

How did you extrapolate hero attack speeds design from the mechanic of last hitting? The majority of hero attack speeds have to do with them being balanced around their ability to kill other heroes and their spell sets, not how fast they can kill creeps. Same goes for damage values where certain heroes specifically have a high base damage to off-set their slow attack speed and vise-versa.

Inventory limit might have came from the initial limitation of WC3 heroes having 6 slots, there were custom maps that allowed for more, but it certainly isn't hindering the game in any way. Item combinations have changed massively from the WC3 dota days where items have a clear progression and value for their cost and ability to obtain them within a certain timeframe.

Highground advantage exists in plenty of other games and it also isn't the only form of "cover" in the game. The same evasion that exists for highground is in some form applied to certain heroes and can be bought through items. You're also ignoring physical and magical amour, your ability to make yourself temporary immune to those and ability to dodge attacks/skills through your own skills or items.

Overwatch might be up on Monday, not Tuesday. Get hyped! (fair warning: this is based on some twitter post.)

I got an email from best buy like a week ago saying that my preorder date for the physical PC version changed to monday

dunno if that means servers will be live or just that the game will be preloaded for that day

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If Gbeast wants to do me a solid, a long video on Total Warhammer would be great. I need to fill the void until DoW3, but Total War games look impenetrable to me.
They are not so bad, and Total Warhammer seems to be simplified compared to the oder ones.

popo

Look, people here sent them a fridge. Nobody is topping that.

Someone sent Patrick that PC. Must be getting old now. The same guy should donate his SLI 980tis to Pat when he upgrades.

Does Jeff just come in the following Monday and go "What the fuck guys?" and everyone just stares down at their feet?

Doubt it. Jeff is many things but he isn't a great manager. If they were a little bigger a managing editor would be a great addition to handle all the meetings and organising shit. If they do have two people out in addition to judges week then it is just poor staff management. #office cuk #betamanager

Myggen

Doubt it. Jeff is many things but he isn't a great manager. If they were a little bigger a managing editor would be a great addition to handle all the meetings and organising shit. If they do have two people out in addition to judges week then it is just poor staff management. #office cuk #betamanager

I honestly don't think it matters much to them, the site or most fans if GBWest doesn't produce content for a few days when GBEast picks up the slack.

I got an email from best buy like a week ago saying that my preorder date for the physical PC version changed to monday

dunno if that means servers will be live or just that the game will be preloaded for that day
IIRC Overwatch physical copies are being "preloaded" by retailers--aka sent a day early.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Assuming you're serious, I don't know how anyone can have that takeaway over the years GB has survived and thrived. I've always seen him and Ryan as the heads of the site.
How did you extrapolate hero attack speeds design from the mechanic of last hitting? The majority of hero attack speeds have to do with them being balanced around their ability to kill other heroes and their spell sets, not how fast they can kill creeps. Same goes for damage values where certain heroes specifically have a high base damage to off-set their slow attack speed and vise-versa.

Inventory limit might have came from the initial limitation of WC3 heroes having 6 slots, there were custom maps that allowed for more, but it certainly isn't hindering the game in any way. Item combinations have changed massively from the WC3 dota days where items have a clear progression and value for their cost and ability to obtain them within a certain timeframe.

Highground advantage exists in plenty of other games and it also isn't the only form of "cover" in the game. The same evasion that exists for highground is in some form applied to certain heroes and can be bought through items. You're also ignoring physical and magical amour, your ability to make yourself temporary immune to those and ability to dodge attacks/skills through your own skills or items.

I'm not saying any of these things are bad or anything, it's just that shoehorning them into other games makes for a very stale formula. They've really gotta try for more variation. Or, as mentioned, go full HoN and abandon all pretenses of originality.

Myggen

Watching the GBEast Mailbag now, goddamn did they have those boxes in the office for a long time before doing this Mailbag :p

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Assuming you're serious, I don't know how anyone can have that takeaway over the years GB has survived and thrived. I've always seen him and Ryan as the heads of the site.

Remember when Jeff, Ryan and Brad were all in meetings literally every day and every single quicklook had Patrick on it? Those were the dark days of giant bomb.

Did you import Star Ocean or something?

Don't be ashamed about TMS.

Oh fuck, I thought it was coming out May 28th, not June 28th. Now I have nothing to play this month ._.

Maybe I should just finally start Witcher or DS3 or something.

It hurts me so much but I know that I'm probably gonna like it.

What has Alex unleashed upon this world?
Remember when Jeff, Ryan and Brad were all in meetings literally every day and every single quicklook had Patrick on it? Those were the dark days of giant bomb.

Ostensibly the darkest of days.

This reminds me, a Patrick/Austin QL would've been amazing.
didn't play the beta. bought Overwatch blind based on word of mouth.

You made the right choice.

it's gonna get updated with more stuff right?
Definitely.

via Gamespot:
Responding to questions from fans, Blizzard today confirmed that all of the maps and characters released for Overwatch after launch won't cost you a penny. In a video address, game director Jeff Kaplan said the team at Blizzard is "really proud" of the 21 heroes that will be available at launch, but said the team is already thinking about more characters and arenas that will launch sometime down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom