• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes
hqdefault.jpg

but like for real. all 3 as a single unit

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
excellent. not even sure how much i'll play of it but i'll get my $40 worth.

Yep this is my exact reason for buying it. I'll have enough friends playing that i'll get some use out of it and feel good about it. Definitely payed more for games that I've played less of, haha.

popo

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Assuming you're serious, I don't know how anyone can have that takeaway over the years GB has survived and thrived. I've always seen him and Ryan as the heads of the site.

Jeff is a fine EIC. What he needs is a managing editor. Manager shouldn't be friends with the staff.

Survive I will grant you, but I| think they did it in spite of how wasteful Whiskey was. Plenty of other great sites were not as lucky.

Given that GB is awesome and produces a lot of awesome content, Jeff is probably a pretty decent manager of his staff.

Don't need to sell GB to me. I am posting on their fan forum. However, I don't think you understand the role of a manager.

I honestly don't think it matters much to them, the site or most fans if GBWest doesn't produce content for a few days when GBEast picks up the slack.

They get along fine - but they could be even better with some efficiency. More output means more views means more subs means bigger budgets means even more awesome videos.

It is the little shit that makes me think they need a manager or a biz dev guy. Like not arranging staff cover and not having a member shirt 6 months in to the year. If they had someone to field the meetings and run the deal it would free up the main staff to do what they do best. I think Jeff has said as much about a biz dev guy. It is a shame they could not make it happen.

that picture is going to get a lot of use, unfortunately

on an entirely unrelated note maybe we expect too much from the western crew

We like a moan in here. Did you know know :D

kiguel182

Yeah, E3 takes a lot of time to prepare. I'm not saying they aren't busy but I guess expecting some content isn't unreasonable.

E3 week falls right into my finals so I'll only be able to catch up later unfortunately.

popo

We sacrificed GBWest for MPP6.

Yall wanted this, now you gotta live with the consequences of GBEast only content.

Not me. I said it was terrible before MPP6 and everyone was like. The great type of terrible. Post MPP6 I think I would get more agreement that it is terrible terrible. When even Dan is down on it you know it wasn't a great stream.

We'll probably be seeing less content in the upcoming weeks, but it'll all be worth it for E3 week.

At least then you know why they are quiet and it is expected.

Not me. I said it was terrible before MPP6 and everyone was like. The great type of terrible. Post MPP6 I think I would get more agreement that it is terrible terrible. When even Dan is down on it you know it wasn't a great stream.

I think Dan was down on it because he ate an entire bag of oreos and nacho cheese and realized he still had an hour left to play.

And also when they chose the map I laughed because even as someone who's played way too much MP, I knew how bad that map was.

that picture is going to get a lot of use, unfortunately

on an entirely unrelated note maybe we expect too much from the western crew

I think my expectations would different if the East Coast office didn't push out a lot of content with a lesser equipped, smaller studio and a 3 man staff. It just seems weird that they haven't really put anything out all week, we know it's possible, as East coast has been doing it every week, even some at home streams would be nice. I'm really glad that the East Coast studio is there to pick up the ball.

They get along fine - but they could be even better with some efficiency. More output means more views means more subs means bigger budgets means even more awesome videos.

It is the little shit that makes me think they need a manager or a biz dev guy. Like not arranging staff cover and not having a member shirt 6 months in to the year. If they had someone to field the meetings and run the deal it would free up the main staff to do what they do best. I think Jeff has said as much about a biz dev guy. It is a shame they could not make it happen.

GB's method wouldn't work if they were obsessed with garnering views, covering every single thing, and wringing every little bit of money out of everything they do. A cold, corporate structure would stifle what makes the site such a success--y'know, the personalities intertwined with game coverage.

Remember, this is the site that has impromptu streams, free podcasts, and employees that regularly make "side content" not strictly affiliated with Giant Bomb... plus reviews. Sometimes.

kiguel182

I think Dan was down on it because he ate an entire bag of oreos and nacho cheese and realized he still had an hour left to play.

And also when they chose the map I laughed because even as someone who's played way too much MP, I knew how bad that map was.

At least this will teach them to choose the default starter map from now on.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'ts just crazy how much content Dan puts out in contrast to everyone else. It's like when Patrick was putting out videos every other day then you had the other guys on UPFs leaving an hour early.

It's not a hot look.

kiguel182

GB's method wouldn't work if they were obsessed with garnering views, covering every single thing, and wringing every little bit of money out of everything they do. A cold, corporate structure would stifle what makes the site such a success--y'know, the personalities intertwined with game coverage.

Remember, this is the site that has impromptu streams, free podcasts, and employees that regularly make "side content" not strictly affiliated with Giant Bomb... plus reviews. Sometimes.

Yeah, as much as I would like more content they would lose what makes them so special by having a supervisor and someone cracking down on them.

If ocasional droughts is the price of having Giant Bomb as it is I'll take it.

Sakwoff

Yeah, as much as I would like more content they would lose what makes them so special by having a supervisor and someone cracking down on them.

I think that might be a pretty pessimistic view about the whole thing.

Having a bizdev guy doesn't really need to mean "someone cracking down on them", right? I mean, if anything, anybody they'd hire would still answer to Jeff.

It's just that there seems to be a buttload of red tape involved in running the site under CBS. Having someone dedicated to easing that load off their shoulders so they can focus on what they do best doesn't sound too bad to me.

popo

Not sure how you read "greater efficiency and some organisation" as that they should cover everything and become a soulless corp.

A managing editor would not be above them and some cracking down can be positive. e.g. remember when Patrick's articles were littered with spelling mistakes? Not so much now. Totillo kicks his ass.

I am of the belief that these two are not linked.

I could watch another full Homefront QL of Vinny asking complicated lore questions that the game has no interest in answering. That bit was too good.

haha yeah, demanding an explanation for the hooks hanging off the guns was funny

especially since they then started annoying me too

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, some good places to go for a sequel. I just found every encounter in the level really boring.

Yeah the last level is probably my least favorite. Too many way-too-large arenas. But it serves as a good reminder how solid the level design has been in the rest of the game and how much that combat formula relies on good level and encounter design and how they nailed that, overall.

popo

Total Warhammer getting some good reviews. I will never play that game but would watch an hour long "quick look" of that. Yes sir I would.

Yeah the last level is probably my least favorite. Too many way-too-large arenas. But it serves as a good reminder how solid the level design has been in the rest of the game and how much that combat formula relies on good level and encounter design and how they nailed that, overall.
Yeah, it doesn't help that the encounters all feel extremely similar.
Total Warhammer getting some good reviews. I will never play that game but would watch an hour long "quick look" of that. Yes sir I would.

It's a big strategy game + Warhammer which means that GBeast will look at it which means an hour long QL is probably a safe bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom