• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is AJ Styles's face on there?

Because its phenomenal!

tumblr_o5uzcfRdbG1sj4xr4o1_400.gif

yami4ct

Do those 'I got banned unfairly' threads ever not backfire? They are constantly hilarious. Every day one of those pops up on Gaf is guaranteed to be a bit better because of it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So the version of Mario Special that Jeff played was the Sharp X1.

Here's the PC-8801 version.

If you're into this sort of Mario weirdness the two RunButton guys (friends of Austin's as well) have been doing Lets Play videos of every Mario game as well

Every Mario game

In addition to the mainline ones they've looked at Super Mario no Sweater, Mario's Early Years: Preschool Fun, and all of the other weird one-off spin-offs including my personal favorite: the low key, inane insanity of Mario's Game Gallery & Undake 30 Same Game

Anjin M

Haven't watched the Hitman videos yet because I'm afraid that they will make me less likely to buy the game if I've seen how they play already. (I understand that this is an irrational position to take.) Did anyone here buy Hitman because they liked Dan and Brad's videos?

Wunder

Haven't watched the Hitman videos yet because I'm afraid that they will make me less likely to buy the game if I've seen how they play already. (I understand that this is an irrational position to take.) Did anyone here buy Hitman because they liked Dan and Brad's videos?

It made me want to play the game more, but I probably still won't pick it up just because I'm pretty bad at stealth heavy games so it'd probably be a bummer for me to actually play. The appeal is definite there though

Strax

After the last video I bought the game.

Lunar FC

It made me want to play the game more, but I probably still won't pick it up just because I'm pretty bad at stealth heavy games so it'd probably be a bummer for me to actually play. The appeal is definite there though

I'm usually opposed to stealth focused games, but I still really enjoyed playing the first ep of Hitman. It's pretty forgiving usually.

jaina

I'm not interested in Hitman myself, but from seeing both videos I think it's more likely that you want to execute on the "opportunities" HitDan have missed. Granted, just replicating their approach would be boring, but you still have (a) stuff they haven't found in a level and (b) ideas they had but failed at.
You could save the videos for after you've played yourself, but if you're on the fence, watch them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Finally got myself a double monitor setup and it is so good, especially now that I can play games and catch up on GB stuff.

Anjin M

After the last video I bought the game.

I'm not interested in Hitman myself, but from seeing both videos I think it's more likely that you want to execute on the "opportunities" HitDan have missed. Granted, just replicating their approach would be boring, but you still have (a) stuff they haven't found in a level and (b) ideas they had but failed at.
You could save the videos for after you've played yourself, but if you're on the fence, watch them.
Thank you all. Looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on them both soon.

yami4ct

Finally sat down and finished Twilight Princess HD this last week. So glad this came out and gave me a chance to relay it. I can think of very few examples of my opinion so thoroughly turning around on a game.

It has problems, sure. The tutorial is way too long and the Wolf Link sections in the first third are awful. The core combat is pretty mediocre as well, even with the hidden skills. You also have the ugly character and enemy designs.

That being said, what the game does well, it does pretty spectacularly. Dungeons all feel unique and clever and I felt there was only 1 bad one in the bunch (Sky City). The bosses are similarly excellently designed and fun to play. The music isn't Windwaker stunning, but it's got an amazing set of tracks that I would definitely go back to. The world and lighting design are also really impressive for the era and it's cool the way they integrate that stuff into gameplay on occasion.

I can see so much of why I disliked Twilight Princess in retrospect is it had the impossible task of following Windwaker, my second favorite game of all time. No game could live up to that legacy and in that light, it made the flaws of TP stand out starkly and outshone the good. This game isn't the refreshing breath of fresh air Windwaker is, but it's also a really damn tightly designed and fun traditional Zelda. In the end, that's kind of all it was trying to be.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

They show like, 1% of the levels and the many, many opportunities for kills you can do. Risk of spoilers is basically zero since they fail at everything, but that's what makes it funny.

popo

As I washed dishes tonight, I thought about Jeff's anecdote about his high school math teacher.

We should have named the thread "Ya fucking beat them, Gerstmann."

Nah. High school drop out who turned out good, looking back and putting a fairy tale spin on it. In an alternate timeline another Jeff, who wasn't as lucky, is dealing meth and lamenting how he should have actually turned up to classes. He is room mates with alternate Dan, who after getting kicked out of film school for doing fuck all work, makes ends meet selling girlie mags and stolen amiibos on ebay.

hamchan

Nah. High school drop out who turned out good, looking back and putting a fairy tale spin on it. In an alternate timeline another Jeff, who wasn't as lucky, is dealing meth and lamenting how he should have actually turned up to classes. He is room mates with alternate Dan, who after getting kicked out of film school for doing fuck all work, makes ends meet selling girlie mags and stolen amiibos on ebay.

Alternate universe Dan and Jeff, maybe even Alex are scary prospects. They're lucky they found the best route through this adventure game of life.

Really glad to hear Brad and Dan plan to return to that Hitman episode, I was worried when I saw 10 minutes left on the clock and they were nowhere close to completing the mission.

hamchan

Never seen Hunt for Red October or Commando but I think i'll just watch it for the first time with the Giant Bomb commentary. Not enough hours these days to watch those movies twice.

Strax

When CA:CW comes out in America OT is going to be brutal. The spoiler thread has already started foaming when people suggest it might not be the best film of the year or even the best Marvel film and thats only us mild-mannered europeans talking right now.

Renpatsu

When CP:CW comes out in America OT is going to be brutal. The spoiler thread has already started foaming when people suggest it might not be the best film of the year or even the best Marvel film and thats only us mild-mannered europeans talking right now.
For what it's worth I think it sets a very high standard for superhero films in general, but not films as a whole if I were to make that distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom