• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Since I've realized that Rafe in Uncharted 4 is basically the bad guy from Twister, I finally started to appreciate his character more

Someone mentioned he looks a lot like Jake Gyllenhaal. They aren't wrong.

Playing Doom alongside Uncharted 4 has really killed my momentum in the latter, especially since I'm at a pretty low point in the game (chapters 12-13, right after the big car chase scene). I just keep thinking "I'd be immediately having fun in Doom if I booted it up right now, not driving around in a boat looking for murky underwater arrows."

I loved UC4 and personally have no interest in DOOM at $60. The game is clearly well executed, but I just don't value what it's executing that highly. I'm so glad both exist for the people who enjoy those things.

I much preferred UC4's quieter chapters to the louder ones and I kind of did throughout the whole series, which is why this one is by far my favourite.

The slow burn start to UC4 was bliss.

Naughty Dog are so good at that stuff.

Megasoum

Banned
Playing Doom alongside Uncharted 4 has really killed my momentum in the latter, especially since I'm at a pretty low point in the game (chapters 12-13, right after the big car chase scene). I just keep thinking "I'd be immediately having fun in Doom if I booted it up right now, not driving around in a boat looking for murky underwater arrows."

Yeah I kinda feel the same. Thankfully I'm very near the end of UC4
(chapter 22)
so I just want to get it done and move on.

The problem I have with DOOM is that, while it's totally playable, I have to put it on Medium and remove all AA to get a somewhat stable 60fps... Now normally it wouldn't be the end of the world but the thing is, I decided to buy a new card (not sure yet between a 1080 or 1070) so it's fucking killing me to play the game on medium when I know I'll be able to play it on ultra soon... But then again... I don't want to wait like a month before finally playing it.

Since I've realized that Rafe in Uncharted 4 is basically the bad guy from Twister, I finally started to appreciate his character more

twister-1.jpg

Fake Gyllenhaal is a pretty great villain I think, as Brad said he has the perfect sniveling ass hole voice and look.

Wunder

You can probably beat it in 10 hours if you don't hunt for secrets but I would advise against that since it's really fun.

I usually hate hunting for secrets/collectibles but the way they talked about it on the podcast it made me want to just put it on Normal and try and run around finding secrets. Do you think that'd be more fun than setting it to the harder difficulty and just plowing through the levels?

yami4ct

AFAIK Microsoft and Sony handle the actual production.

I actually did know that conceptually, because I know about all the shit Nintendo got for the way they handled the manufacturing/allocation of NES carts back in the day. For some reason, I never connected that that stuff was ongoing.

I caved and bought DOOM. Can I beat it before Overwatch gets here?

Yes, you can.

I much preferred UC4's quieter chapters to the louder ones and I kind of did throughout the whole series, which is why this one is by far my favourite.

The slow burn start to UC4 was bliss.

Naughty Dog are so good at that stuff.

Same here. Both are fantastic games though. Man, these two games then Overwatch and Platinum's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. What a damn two weeks now, going to get both.

The secrets in DOOM work because they're so useful; at worst, you'll get a stash of a bunch of armor/health/ammo but you can also find upgrade points or entirely new weapons. I've really enjoyed tracking them down.

I usually hate hunting for secrets/collectibles but the way they talked about it on the podcast it made me want to just put it on Normal and try and run around finding secrets. Do you think that'd be more fun than setting it to the harder difficulty and just plowing through the levels?

I think you'll find enjoyment no matter what you do in that game because it all contributes to how you play the game. I find that collectibles in this game more than any other game really changes how you play rapidly.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I really enjoy the challenge that comes with Hard, and I don't think looking for the secrets is THAT fun (I really like it, but it's not like it's the best thing about the game). Depends on what you are looking for I guess but hard is the way to play the game as far as I'm concerned.

Wunder

The secrets in DOOM work because they're so useful; at worst, you'll get a stash of a bunch of armor/health/ammo but you can also find upgrade points or entirely new weapons. I've really enjoyed tracking them down.

That's what I hate the most about collectibles/secrets in games! It's frustrating enough that I can't find em or I pass a point in the game where I can't go back and get it, but even worse when it's an important upgrade or hp boost.

That's what I hate the most about collectibles/secrets in games! It's frustrating enough that I can't find em or I pass a point in the game where I can't go back and get it, but even worse when it's an important upgrade or hp boost.

That can certainly be an issue, but they alleviate it by giving you plenty of upgrades just through normal gameplay and, if you really feel intent on going back for full completion, you can replay any mission at any time to snag stuff you missed. They're in that sweet spot of good enough to be worthwhile but not too valuable where you feel underpowered if you miss out.

yami4ct

Just bought a Gundam model kit on Amazon. Its been a few years since I've built one. When did these Gundams start looking so anime?

They always kind of have. It depends on what you define as 'anime'. The original was very much based on the style of mecha going on in the 70's.

If you mean when did they go 'super robot', they've been trending that way ever since the original as well. Outside of the OVAs, 0079 is probably the only major Gundam that sits firmly in the Real Robot genre. Even it has some silliness like the Zeong.

You could argue it made a big transition into the Super Robot genre when G Gundam hit and has been there ever since, but it was always kinda moving that way.

What did you buy?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Doom is surprisingly good about that. In most levels you can backtrack through the entire level at pretty much any point if you want.
I actually screwed myself that cause I got the checkpoint before a big fight then turned back and got a secret but also another checkpoint. So everytime I died I first had to run through the empty level for like 6 minutes (I turned the difficulty down to easy and did it on the second try though)

You can spec your Doomguy in a way that the map actually shows you where a majority of the secrets are located on the map, so reaching it is the only difficult part. It doesn't outright say where new weapons or the classic level segments are, but with the latter it's typically the part of the map you haven't filled out once you've finished the level, and the lever to unlock it is never that far from it.

Wunder

You can spec your Doomguy in a way that the map actually shows you where a majority of the secrets are located on the map, so reaching it is the only difficult part. It doesn't outright say where new weapons or the classic level segments are, but with the latter it's typically the part of the map you haven't filled out once you've finished the level, and the lever to unlock it is never that far from it.

Yeah that part made me more inclined to want to search out the secrets

Doom is surprisingly good about that. In most levels you can backtrack through the entire level at pretty much any point if you want.
I actually screwed myself that cause I got the checkpoint before a big fight then turned back and got a secret but also another checkpoint. So everytime I died I first had to run through the empty level for like 6 minutes (I turned the difficulty down to easy and did it on the second try though)

So it's possible to go back and forth between difficulties?

They always kind of have. It depends on what you define as 'anime'. The original was very much based on the style of mecha going on in the 70's.

If you mean when did they go 'super robot', they've been trending that way ever since the original as well. Outside of the OVAs, 0079 is probably the only major Gundam that sits firmly in the Real Robot genre. Even it has some silliness like the Zeong.

You could argue it made a big transition into the Super Robot genre when G Gundam hit and has been there ever since, but it was always kinda moving that way.

What did you buy?

To be clear, I haven't watched any Gundam since I was like 10 so I do not know what I'm actually talking about.

I bought this thing, but just noticed that they're calling it an action figure, not, like, master grade. whoops did i fuck up

But that's an anime ass lookin robot, compared to this one which I've built before

So it's possible to go back and forth between difficulties?

You can switch between the first three difficulties as you wish, but you have to dedicate a save slot to Nightmare/Ultra-Nightmare and cannot switch if you do so. Personally, I recommend playing on Ultraviolence, since Nightmare is a bit much for a first playthrough.

Also, just a heads up: the classic Doom level secret in the destroyed Argent Facility is super early on and can be filled in by the automap making you think you've been there already. On top of that, a point of no return is shortly after it, so make sure you find it before moving on. Basically, you want to have found the secret before you make a big drop early on.

yami4ct

To be clear, I haven't watched any Gundam since I was like 10 so I do not know what I'm actually talking about.

I bought this thing, but just noticed that they're calling it an action figure, not, like, master grade. whoops did i fuck up

But that's an anime ass lookin robot, compared to this one which I've built before

That's a model kit. It's a series of 1/100 scale kits Bandai has been doing for the new show. It builds like a MG, but simpler. Because of the gimmick of the show, they can reuse the inner frame in all the other 1/100 gundams in the line, which is cool. Most 1/100's don't have frames if they aren't MGs.

As for the design, the RX-78 you posted is the simplest gundam ever was. It's gotten more and more Super Robot since then. Just taking the progress of main designs we go from that to this:

to this by the 3rd show

I would say they got full Super Robot by the 3rd show, so pretty early. Even the original has some sillier deigns like this, though.

I like the designs in the new show like the kit your getting. They are definitely on the more stylized side, but the show itself is surprisingly slow and grounded compared to where we were. Getting over the top designs for a grounded show is a funny dichotomy.

Megasoum

Banned
Finished Uncharted.

I agree about the slower chapter being more interesting than the action stuff... Didn't like much of the combat.

Really liked the ending.

Now I wish I had bought it physical instead of digital so I could resell it...

That's a model kit. It's a series of 1/100 scale kits Bandai has been doing for the new show. It builds like a MG, but simpler. Because of the gimmick of the show, they can reuse the inner frame in all the other 1/100 gundams in the line, which is cool. Most 1/100's don't have frames if they aren't MGs.

As for the design, the RX-78 you posted is the simplest gundam ever was. It's gotten more and more Super Robot since then. Just taking the progress of main designs we go from that to this:

to this by the 3rd show

I would say they got full Super Robot by the 3rd show, so pretty early. Even the original has some sillier deigns like this, though.

I like the designs in the new show like the kit your getting. They are definitely on the more stylized side, but the show itself is surprisingly slow and grounded compared to where we were. Getting over the top designs for a grounded show is a funny dichotomy.

Alright cool, simpler is probably good.

I guess I just never noticed Gundam after I stopped watching whatever the series was that Toonami aired in the late 90's/early 2000's or whatever. The new one I just bought looks rad and I remember Austin talking about Iron Blooded Orphans, is it worth checking out?

Scizzy

I would be fascinated to learn what percentage of GB content the average subscriber actually consumes. I'd guess somewhere around 10% if you don't count the Bomb/Beastcast.

Ok.

That anime song with the sick bass line is actually just a old song from YES the Jojo people licenced.

Thank god. Thought I was catching the anime for a secont. Nothing wrong with liking YES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom