• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

I go away to sleep and both Vinny and Brad post here. Damn you time zones.

Also, I don't want to dig this back up, but I feel the need to say that when I asked what their day to day work life was it wasn't because I thought they didn't do anything. I am just curious about that stuff. I'm sure they all work plenty so I didn't mean it as an offense.

Did not catch up but was it embarrassing like always when they show up? I mean, for us, since we complain a lot.

Myggen

No, someone made a sarcastic comment and Brad took it completely seriously.

Oh come on. When some people keep baiting Brad with passive aggressive snark in what's supposed to be a fan thread people can't then turn around and say LOL Jokes.

And he was responding to the whole conversation in this thread and not just popo's comment, where at least one person literally called them lazy.

Chuck

Still without luck
Oh come on. When some people keep baiting Brad with passive aggressive snark in what's supposed to be a fan thread people can't then turn around and say LOL Jokes.
Brad exclusive posts angry responses in this thread. He doesn't really need baiting.

Myggen

Brad exclusive posts angry responses in this thread. He doesn't really need baiting.

And still people do it. Why? To "troll" a staff member of the site which this is supposed to be a fan thread of?

Also, your comment is just wrong btw. From the last year he's commented in these GB OTs and Bombcast threads (I think I got them all):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=184941545&highlight=#post184941545

I didn't want to mention it in the video, but both of the early game saves I had were right before major plot points (one of them a huge spoiler) so I couldn't do any story missions in the QL at all, and I just didn't have the 3-4 spare hours to replay up to a better spot before we recorded. Having already completed all the side stuff in that second hub didn't help.

One of those situations where the simplified save management on the Xbone bites us in the ass. On the PS4 you can copy a save off to USB whenever you want, so keeping early game saves for QL is trivial. You're kinda at the mercy of Xbox games that autosave constantly and don't give you many options for manual saves though. I wasn't thrilled with it but tried to make the most of it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=186741686&highlight=#post186741686

We did the whole thing in one take... but you're not wrong.

I'm glad I didn't read the end of it out loud then.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=187691607&highlight=#post187691607

I forgot to mention in that video that the Steam version doesn't have the music, which is a crime (although the GOG version supposedly does?).

Google for Ultimate Quake II patch and you'll get a package that has .ogg versions of the music that works with the Steam version, although it also forces you to use a sourceport with different UI and more modern graphical effects, so you aren't getting a totally pure experience.

I actually fished my original Q2 CD out of my fuckoff huge CaseLogic CD binder in the closet and threw it in the drive, and was pretty impressed that the Steam version just picked it up and played all the music like it should with no tweaking required. The Carmack difference.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=188132020&highlight=#post188132020

I just haven't had time to get back to it with everything else going on, so I haven't even seen those guys yet. Got into the fishing village before I stopped and I think lit the first lantern in there?

Yeah, exactly. I'd never ever begrudge someone summoning or tell them they're PLAYING IT WRONG or whatever, but for me the vast majority of Souls bosses become pretty trivial when they have a second target who's tanking their attacks while you slice them up from the sidelines. Just not personally satisfying for me to fight them that way.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193253508&highlight=#post193253508

I did beat it, after one last 14-hour stretch yesterday. By the end of the last area my coffee table was a mess of notes and some cut-up construction paper my gf made to help visualize some of the late-game stuff.

I love the game to death, but the time pressure and lack of hints made for an experience in that last stretch I don't ever want to have with a review again. (To be fair, I really underestimated how long and difficult the last area was going to be, or I would have stopped messing with optional stuff and gone straight there on Saturday.) After that marathon I've got a good thousand-yard stare going on today. What an incredible game though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193257378&highlight=#post193257378

I really wish it had a playtime clock (there should be an in-world sundial for this or something) but I'd bet I put 40 hours into it easy. Finished quite a bit more than you have to in order to open up the endgame, but even after all that there are still entire areas and types of puzzles I don't have access to/understand.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193259142&highlight=#post193259142

...the first thing I did after seeing the ending was go back to one of the earlier areas I hadn't finished and kept working on it.

Word to the wise, keep a late-game save before you go finish it if you want to go back and do other stuff. The game doesn't dump you back out into the world after the ending, and it also kind of aggressively auto-saves over your progress. I'm not actually sure if you could get screwed over by that, but watch out for it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193607561&highlight=#post193607561

Better make that wheatgrass or cilantro, then.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=196367801&highlight=#post196367801

Yes, how dare I get something wrong about the later parts of a game that nobody in the entire world has seen yet. I'll just tender my resignation now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=198046073&highlight=#post198046073

I argued so hard for that you don't even know. It's so elegant!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=199217424&highlight=#post199217424

This... is exactly what pay to win means? The more you spend money, the faster you gain cards, the faster you level up, the more you win. Once you hit the people who are at your current level you're incentivized to spend yet more cash to get a leg up on them, repeat ad nauseam.

I didn't say it's not a treadmill, but the A-to-B of more money = more powerful units is what the entire game is built around. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201499678&highlight=#post201499678

I didn't get stuck in that area, I've never really played any of it. I was trucking through Anor Londo at like 3am during my last Extra Life stream and walked up and "examined" that painting without knowing what it did, ended up in there, chat flipped out that I was too low level to be there and you couldn't just turn around and go back, so I turned it off and haven't played it since.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201570678&highlight=#post201570678

That was a CMS glitch, but yeah, gonna push it back. It would probably be a shitty stream if I did it right now.

That's one "angry response" since March 2015, before yesterday. One. So that has become a myth people use to try to bait reactions with snarky bullshit because of whatever reason.

yami4ct

And still people do it. Why? To "troll" as staff member of the site which this is supposed to be a fan thread of?

Also, your comment is just wrong btw. From the last year he's commented in these GB OTs and Bombcast threads (I think I got them all):

There's a lot of mostly good nature ribbing on the site members in this forum, and I think it's mostly fine. For some reason, though, people dig in on Brad in a way that gets kind of mean spirited. I don't get it.

kiguel182

There's a lot of mostly good nature ribbing on the site members in this forum, and I think it's mostly fine. For some reason, though, people dig in on Brad in a way that gets kind of mean spirited. I don't get it.

Yeah, some people take it too far but I assume most is just joking around. At least that's how I read it.

But even joking has limits. Being mean spirited towards the staff is not okay.

I'm surprised people are still talking about some of the small mess of yesterday, man E3 is like 22 - 23 days away. We're lucky we are getting anything at this point but that's just my opinion. Anyways, I still love this thread and all of GB of course, as I'm sure the people who complain do as well.

Zaph

As someone who just pops into this thread now and then mostly to lurk I have to say that to people outside of this community it seems like a place of constant complaining. For the GB dudes it would probably feel a little absurd to read. I don't think most of these complaints would have even entered my mind if I hadn't checked this thread - and one should perhaps reflect and think about how 'healthy' it is for your enjoyment of something to always be looking for faults. I consume GB content every day and feel like it's packed with stuff to watch compared to other video game sites. Of course it's not flawless, and you should voice your honest opinions, but when 80% of your fan thread consists of pointing out flaws..

Oh come on. First people used to complain this thread would shout down any GB criticism, now there's too much criticism?

On any given day the majority of the comments are idle chitchat about whatever games/subjects were brought up in recent content and compliments. If the GB staff do only see and cherry pick complaints (which I don't actually think is true - like someone else said, it's weird responding to positive stuff), that's just not our problem.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I wouldn't characterise this thread as mostly complaining. Compared to some other places we still come off like insane fanboys.

Unless when it come to anime. There's too much complaining about anime. Let anime be free.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
In much more interesting Bradnews....did that Quake stream happen yet?
Watching Brad play Quake or Doom is always great.

Unless when it come to anime. There's too much complaining about anime. Let anime be free.

There is no such thing as "too much complaining about anime"

Strax

As someone who just pops into this thread now and then mostly to lurk I have to say that to people outside of this community it seems like a place of constant complaining. For the GB dudes it would probably feel a little absurd to read. I don't think most of these complaints would have even entered my mind if I hadn't checked this thread - and one should perhaps reflect and think about how 'healthy' it is for your enjoyment of something to always be looking for faults. I consume GB content every day and feel like it's packed with stuff to watch compared to other video game sites. Of course it's not flawless, and you should voice your honest opinions, but when 80% of your fan thread consists of pointing out flaws..

Eh I feel like this is hyperbole. In the, I think, two years I've been part of this community posters have mostly been critical about two things

1. Content drought at spots for premium members
2. Lack of a schedule beside the podcasts and UPF - and that has gotten much better since the last year/starf of this year imo.

But what happens, every single time, when somebody is critical about anything GB is that some posters don't seem to be able to handle GB getting anything but praise. Jeff has said that he's going to meetings now that he never went to before Ryan passed and that he hates it so I don't think its big no no to discuss. Regarding Brad's reponse I feel its a bit unfair because its a two way street. Its true we don't know everything thing about how they work but we know more about their office and home life then I've ever seen before in any entertainment and thats a door they can close anytime they want if they don't like us discussing it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Breaking Brad - Doom Ultra Nightmare.
Not gonna happen but it sounds so right.

I doubt that would be much fun though. He would have to play through the entire game without dying. It might be fun just for like 2-3 streams though to see how far he could make it. (For the record, I had one hell of a time just finishing the first level. You die in 2 hits, it's insane)

repeater

In much more interesting Bradnews....did that Quake stream happen yet?
Watching Brad play Quake or Doom is always great.
Brad's solo Bombasticas from home some time ago (last year?) where he played Act Raiser in one stream and Dark Forces in another were incredibly good. I really liked watching him play games he felt very warmly for, in a context where he could take his time without having to worry about chat or anyone else.

Brad's great. GB's great.

derFeef

I doubt that would be much fun though. He would have to play through the entire game without dying. It might be fun just for like 2-3 streams though to see how far he could make it. (For the record, I had one hell of a time just finishing the first level. You die in 2 hits, it's insane)

Yup, it's nuts. Still, love me some Brad videos, the content I enjoy the most honestly. The Doom 2 videos are still my most watched GB content.
Also because I love Doom.

I'd love to see some more Brad premium content. Maybe moving away from Breaking Brad for a while and having him play some of the games he's talked about in the past that he missed out on.

Yes, also a great idea.

I'd love to see some more Brad premium content. Maybe moving away from Breaking Brad for a while and having him play some of the games he's talked about in the past that he missed out on.

Xater

I love how you guys always attract the GB crew by being super negative. They never show up when everyone is super happy. :p

Myggen

I love how you guys always attract the GB crew by being super negative. They never show up when everyone is super happy. :p

I mean, as I showed in my post further up, the last year up until yesterday there was one such post by Brad, the others have been pretty normal stuff responding to questions etc. That goes for Austin and Dan too, who are the other two who respond here from time to time. The meme of "they only come here when we're negative" isn't really based on reality but is rather a result of confirmation bias.

derFeef

I like Brad more when he has someone with him like the HitDan series.

HitDan is fantastic. Demons Souls with Vinny was also fantastic. More Brad content!
But didn't I read he does not want to do original content anymore? Maybe I am misremembering.

edit: Also did Brad ever play Quantum Break? I would like to hear is opinion on it.

edit2:
You are definitely misremembering that one, not even sure what that means.

Good! Me neither. Bad english.

kiguel182

HitDan is fantastic. Demons Souls with Vinny was also fantastic. More Brad content!
But didn't I read he does not want to do original content anymore? Maybe I am misremembering.

edit: Also did Brad ever play Quantum Break? I would like to hear is opinion on it.

edit2:

Good! Me neither. Bad english.

There's a series of Brad playing Demon Souls with Vinny? Man, I need to watch that.

And I still haven't finished watching Scanlon 4.

Regarding long ass series: They need playlists on the website that save the place you are in.

repeater

There's a series of Brad playing Demon Souls with Vinny? Man, I need to watch that.
It's so good! That was the first premium series I watched as a member and it remains some of my favorite content on the site or anywhere.

Crystal lizard rage Brad is best Brad. :D

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
It's so good! That was the first premium series I watched as a member and it remains some of my favorite content on the site or anywhere.

Crystal lizard rage Brad is best Brad. :D

Yep, top premium series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom