• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Couldn't you argue that enjoying the souls community antagonise each other is also joining in on the antagonisation yourself, thus making you part of said community?

I was worried that LastFight wouldn't have power stones in them, but they totally do.

And boy, Jason is bad at those fighting games. Good thing we have Dan to show him how it's done.

EDIT: oh no online play and no 4-player free-for-all pretty much instantly un-sold me

Curufinwe

This never ending Polygon-Doom thing made me think I would like to see Vinny and Austin both play thru a level of Doom on PS4, but Vinny has to use normal aiming and Austin has to use inverted aiming.

TraBuch

Banned
Remember that balloon boy hoax where everyone thought that kid was in a giant balloon but he was hiding in his attic? That was fun. Someone should do it again.

Remember that balloon boy hoax where everyone thought that kid was in a giant balloon but he was hiding in his attic? That was fun. Someone should do it again.

I wonder how much money was lost by companies across the country while that was happening. NOBODY was working in my office

Myggen

This never ending Polygon-Doom thing made me think I would like to see Vinny and Austin both play thru a level of Doom on PS4, but Vinny has to use normal aiming and Austin has to use inverted aiming.

This whole thing has been one of the more baffling controversies for me. Some people just get SO angry over it.

Or the one where everyone thought that little boy was stuck in a well but he was actually hiding in the barn?

or was that 12 Monkeys?

Jintor

that we still have fucking 8.8 in this year of our lords of cinder 2016 is fucking beyond me

let's not even get into the ongoing clusterfuck that is gg. at least that hasn't flared up recently.

apropos of nothing, i've been thinking about game design again. Anyone have anything with combat kinda similar to hyper light drifter? there was that souls-alike from a while back I think. titan something?

specifically i'm interested in the perspective

kvk1

This whole thing has been one of the more baffling controversies for me.

it's not really a controversy

it's your typical gaming side garbage

a majority of the poster base outside of the community OTs sustain themselves on making mountains out of molehills on a daily basis

kiguel182

I decided to listen to the Beastcast while I'm working on the college library and I'm already regretting it. This start was something.

Myggen

it's not really a controversy

it's your typical gaming side garbage

a majority of the poster base outside of the community OTs sustain themselves on making mountains out of molehills on a daily basis

But it's spread so far and wide. I laughed when I saw that TotalBiscuit had given his valuable opinion on the subject because of course he had.

If this is all you have to do to get some clicks I think I'll start uploading gameplay clips of me playing any FPS. It's not a pretty sight. Maybe I'll try out CliffyB's new game or Overwatch.

Zaph

Yeah this isn't bad. Interesting to hear him talk about the polygon video/john walker article situation.

Yeah, was surprised he didn't really agree with Walker, but then Danny isn't really one to circle the wagons when his profession is attacked.

He makes a fair point - if the creator's 'skill' level isn't in line with your target audience, why make the content? And if the priority is just to rush it out the door however possible, then expect criticism.

This whole thing has been one of the more baffling controversies for me. Some people just get SO angry over it.
Didn't you know that there should be a minimum baseline of video game skill required to get paid for doing something video game related? It's super unprofessional and you should never trust them again and their scores should be expunged from metacritic.

Also don't forget that like 60%of GAF wants to get paid for playing video games on the internet so it really chaps their asses when they think they're better than someone who currently is.

KingKong

Didn't you know that there should be a minimum baseline of video game skill required to get paid for doing something video game related? It's super unprofessional and you should never trust them again and their scores should be expunged from metacritic.

So you're saying we shouldn't expect people to be good at their job?

imBask

Banned
Danny O'Dwyer has a couple of podcast of his own, a nice branding and a nice Youtube. I'm wondering if he's considering leaving Gamespot and doing his own thing like the Kinda Funny guys did

disclaimer : this is 100% speculation i'm just wondering

Myggen

Yeah, was surprised he didn't really agree with Walker, but then Danny isn't really one to circle the wagons when his profession is attacked.

He makes a fair point - if the creator's 'skill' level isn't in line with your target audience, why make the content? And if the priority is just to rush it out the door however possible, then expect criticism.

I completely agree that the video deserves to be laughed at, and that it's pretty obvious that it was a rush job by Polygon.

The way the video has blown up probably has a lot to do with people already hating Polygon and not needing much to declare the site's integrity dead.

Danny O'Dwyer has a couple of podcast of his own, a nice branding and a nice Youtube. I'm wondering if he's considering leaving Gamespot and doing his own thing like the Kinda Funny guys did

FWIW I seem to remember him dismissing this on Tumblr. It's probably more that Gamespot doesn't let you experiment much, so he's doing some stuff he wants to do on the side.

apropos of nothing, i've been thinking about game design again. Anyone have anything with combat kinda similar to hyper light drifter? there was that souls-alike from a while back I think. titan something?

specifically i'm interested in the perspective

Titan Souls and Gungeon are the two that pop into mind. If you want souls-like Salt and Sanctuary is out but that's not the same perspective. Bastion and Transistor, maybe?

Hyperlight is super unique in it's particular gameplay though. I really can't think of anything else like it.

#hireO'Dwyer

I completely agree that the video deserves to be laughed at, and that it's pretty obvious that it was a rush job by Polygon.

The way the video has blown up probably has a lot to do with people already hating Polygon and not needing much to declare the site's integrity dead.

Yeah, the fact that it came from Polygon is 100% why this thing has lasted as long as it has. The video was bad, sure, but there's nothing to actually discuss there -- but since it's from them, it's suddenly an issue worth thousands of posts.

So you're saying we shouldn't expect people to be good at their job?

the people who were bad at their jobs in this situation were the ones who decided that video was worth publication. Presumably that person isn't bad at their primary job or they wouldn't be employed?

e: also Homefront makes me look like I'm playing like that guy. game runs at like 20 fps and the input feels so laggy that dude is shooting like a solid half second after I pull the trigger and miss

imBask

Banned
the people who were bad at their jobs in this situation were the ones who decided that video was worth publication. Presumably that person isn't bad at their primary job or they wouldn't be employed?

e: also Homefront makes me look like I'm playing like that guy. game runs at like 20 fps and the input feels so laggy that dude is shooting like a solid half second after I pull the trigger and miss

you're an optimist, there are plenty of incompetent people with jobs they shouldn't have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom