• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubobutts

This and the "don't know my own pants size" thing are just trolling.
No they aren't. Dan is a dummy. For example on this week's bombcast when Dan didn't know what to call Hawaiin was him being a dummy. When he said he doesn't want to eat spam because he only eats real meat from McDonald's it was trolling.

He would have said Taco Bell if he meant it.

daydream

Banned
CjAaEn7UoAIGrxU.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/734115406231670784

TraBuch

Banned
I eat an unhealthy amount of fried spam with rice and kimchi. Well, I guess any amount of fried spam is unhealthy, but yeah. Spam is big in Korea.

VR Shill is the scariest VR thing yet.

Imagine being in one of those VR hells and suddenly a Scientologist dude pops in and tells you all about it.

I don't want to be personally talked at when I descend into a dark VR hole.

Edit: Oh man the bowling. First tears from laughing since Roller Coaster Rampage QL achieved.

kvk1

remember when they did the playstation home stream

and that arcade machine stood up and it turned out to be some dude and jeff freaked the fuck out

i want moments like that in VR

yami4ct

I'm going to go with 5/5 as well.

This game seems practically made for him. I don't think the fact that multiplayer is tacked on and snap map is a bit of a disappointment will take from his enjoyment of the campaign.

Something like mediocre multiplayer is where I think review scores run into problems. If one aspect of the game -- like the single player -- is really good, should you ignore the mediocre mode when scoring? Imagining Doom without multiplayer getting a 5/5, and Doom with multiplayer getting a 4/5 feels wrong to me, but at the same time you have to score all parts of the game. But it's also completely optional, you don't have to play that part. I'm glad i'm not a game reviewer.

If Overwatch gets reviewed, I expect a 4/5 with a lack of modes being the largest complaint.

If Dan reviews it he usually mentions value. Overwatch is a weird one for that since it's only $40 on PC, but $60 on console. A lack of modes for a $40 game is less of a problem, but at $60 is becomes a bigger consideration imo.

Not even halfway into the year and probably five 5-star reviews. GOTY will be fun.

Surprised to see Superhot only got 4-stars after all the podcast talk.

yami4ct

Something like mediocre multiplayer is where I think review scores run into problems. If one aspect of the game -- like the single player -- is really good, should you ignore the mediocre mode when scoring? Imagining Doom without multiplayer getting a 5/5, and Doom with multiplayer getting a 4/5 feels wrong to me, but at the same time you have to score all parts of the game. But it's also completely optional, you don't have to play that part. I'm glad i'm not a game reviewer.

I think both ways of viewing it are fine. As long as you're logically consistent and explain your reasoning well in text, than you're good.

I think both ways of viewing it are fine. As long as you're logically consistent and explain your reasoning well in text, than you're good.

Yeah, there are plenty of games I'm fine having either view point on (Last of Us, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, etc) with given context. It's gonna depend on what the reviewer feels like was the key component to their experience and how much it mattered over any/everything else.

A big appeal to Overwatch is knowing that it's Blizzard backing it up. Like Valve you know it will be supported incredibly well. It's initial review won't mean much a year from now.

it also depends entirely on the overall focus of the game. if you look at a game like a CoD or BF where the multiplayer is probably 70+% of the point of the package, it's going to matter more. looking at DOOM, it's clear that the focus was its (excellent) campaign and the MP and Snapmap are basically well fleshed out bonus modes.

there's not even anything wrong with the multiplayer, except that it's not really what people want right now.

oti

Banned
1.) Place Doom higher than Uncharted 4 on your GOTY list
2.) Record and post a video of the deliberations on YouTube
3.) See the world burn to its inner core right in front of your eyes
4.) Surreal VR real world now

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Put Doom over Uncharted and Dark Souls. If you can maybe get Zelda out this year and have Doom over it, we'd have the trifecta

Meguro

Banned
Speaking of DOOM, I just finished it.
Pretty cool game.
It'll get a 5/5 from Bradley.
I'd give it a 4/5, don't hurt me

Chuck

Still without luck
I need to get Doom on PC at some point, when I get a new PC.

PS4 controller just wasn't feeling exactly right.

SomberOwl

I had no interest in DOOM and it's not really my type of game but I just might give it a go with all the massive amount of praise it's getting. I also just kind of want to be in the loop if it's going to be a big talking point for the rest of the year.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Uncharted is going to end up at like 7. Its going to be amazing

yami4ct

I know Doom won't beat Uncharted for me because it's not my type of game. It's also why I'm waiting on a sale.

It seems very, very good at hitting what it's trying to hit, though. I have zero complaints if people rate it higher than Uncharted. They are both incredibly successful games.

oti

Banned
I don't care about Doom at all but seeing how happy it makes the crew it might as well be higher than Uncharted 4.

Who are we kidding, since both super powers USSR Brad and USA Jeff like it that much it'll manage to beat almost anything. Who's going to intervene? Switzerland Alex? Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom