• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 64 is weird because in terms of games its library's peak is insanely good (Goldeneye, SM64, OOT, a few others)...but there's not much else there. It's an extremely top-heavy selection.

justjim89

It's likely because it was the first console I owned, but I can't think of a single Nintendo franchise on both N64 and SNES that was better on the SNES.

-Ocarina of Time is much better than Link to the Past
-Mario 64 is miles ahead of Mario World
-Star Fox 64 is better than Star Fox
-Mario Kart 64 is better than Super Mario Kart
-F-Zero X is better than F-Zero

Just my thoughts, but I'll admit it's almost assuredly because I grew up with my aunt's NES and my own N64, and SNES I only played later on Virtual Console. So for me SNES is kinda the most middling, underwhelming Nintendo console.

Strax

Wave Race, Star Fox 64 and Pilot Wings are all games I rented as 10-11 year old and did not see any appeal in those games. Still don't.

justjim89

Like I said, it's mostly just because of how I grew up and what I was playing. I loved the NES when I was little, and then when I got my own consoles I loved the shit out N64, Gamecube, and Wii. But the SNES is just kinda one big shrug. I'd take any of those other 4 over it to this day.

Wave Race, Star Fox 64 and Pilot Wings are all games I rented as 10-11 year old and did not see any appeal in those games. Still don't.

one thing that Wave Race did really well was balancing difficulty. like a lot of good racing games, it was about trying to shave off fractions of a second off your top time. My dad and I used to try to top each other. I went back and played it a little while ago and it's still pretty decent.

PW64 was never that great, just something to play. SF64 got old super fast.

oti

Banned
Kind of like Giant Bomb and Super Mario Bros 2.

Because it's a terrible game but the crestfallen geezers won't admit it.

What is up with Brad and that game? Whenever he criticizes Mario games, which is totally fair it's his opinion even if it's a bad opinion because it's not my opinion, he then continues to talk highly about this game as if it was any good (it's ok but come on).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The WoW stream was probably the most I've enjoyed Rorie. Probably because he's not reading chat all the time and googling random trivia.

What is up with Brad and that game? Whenever he criticizes Mario games, which is totally fair it's his opinion even if it's a bad opinion because it's not my opinion, he then continues to talk highly about this game as if it was any good (it's ok but come on).

Jeff does it too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mario World and 3 are more cohesive and a better jump in and play game

but I think Mario 64 is the most fun to just straight up control. It just has much more depth to the platforming than the other two especially in the 3 dimensional environment.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The 64 is weird because in terms of games its library's peak is insanely good (Goldeneye, SM64, OOT, a few others)...but there's not much else there. It's an extremely top-heavy selection.

I think one of these days we, as a society, are going to have to have the "Goldeneye actually isn't good" talk. It's impossible to play now with those controls, the awful framerate, everything. And I say this as someone who played and loved the shit out of it on the N64. It had some good level design and cool ideas like the objectives on various difficulties, but man it sucks to play. Whereas OoT and SM64 you can play perfectly well today and enjoy them without having to put on some heavy 1997 filters.

It's likely because it was the first console I owned, but I can't think of a single Nintendo franchise on both N64 and SNES that was better on the SNES.

-Ocarina of Time is much better than Link to the Past
-Mario 64 is miles ahead of Mario World
-Star Fox 64 is better than Star Fox
-Mario Kart 64 is better than Super Mario Kart
-F-Zero X is better than F-Zero

Just my thoughts, but I'll admit it's almost assuredly because I grew up with my aunt's NES and my own N64, and SNES I only played later on Virtual Console. So for me SNES is kinda the most middling, underwhelming Nintendo console.

This is all true and the real reason Nintendo never made Metroid 64 is because they knew Super Metroid is like, scientifically perfect. You can't improve on it.

oh goldeneye totally sucks to play. it's a shame because I still think the level/mission design is really neat and not many people ran with those concepts afterwards. I'd love a remake like Perfect Dark got but of course we'll never get one.

I think one of these days we, as a society, are going to have to have the "Goldeneye actually isn't good" talk. It's impossible to play now with those controls, the awful framerate, everything. And I say this as someone who played and loved the shit out of it on the N64. It had some good level design and cool ideas like the objectives on various difficulties, but man it sucks to play. Whereas OoT and SM64 you can play perfectly well today and enjoy them without having to put on some heavy 1997 filters.

Golden Eye was a era of time that has long since past. I tried playing it this week and it didn't age well.

Mother of balls, my life is awesome.

That's an actual line in a video game.

Crash Bandicoot was a decent platformer but so was Pandemonium and you don't see people making fools of themselves over that.

Man, Crash is more charming though and it certainly looked way better than Pandemonium ever did.

It's aged like absolute shit, that's true, though I think "aging well" is only one measure of a game -- a ton of great games have aged poorly in certain respects (Deus Ex comes to mind, visually and its combat).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My favorite console is probably the PS2 or 360, honestly. We had pretty much everything, and the PS1 barely ever clicked with me beyond like Tony Hawk. I didn't like JRPGs, so that never worked for me. SNES had some fun stuff, but ultimately, I've always preferred 3 dimensional games to 2d just because exploration is so important to me and I felt that 2d games never captured that for me. Which would make sense as I got older that the GTA series would capture me so well, going back to the first 1 and then the 3rd one making it my favorite series ever.

PS2 and 360 for me are no doubt my favorite two consoles. SNES and NES aren't even in the top 5 I'd guess. PS1 definitely not. I played a lot of Saturn as a kid though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Legend of the Mystical Ninja 64 is a dope fucking game

GANBARE SO GANBARE. Man I loved that game.

It's aged like absolute shit, that's true, though I think "aging well" is only one measure of a game -- a ton of great games have aged poorly in certain respects (Deus Ex comes to mind, visually and its combat).

Deus Ex combat was always kind of awful, to be fair. I don't feel like that was ever good, it was (and is) considered good because of the amazing possibility space and atmosphere. I think it holds up in that respect, dated visuals and all. I mean, Human Revolution is a great game and all, but it's not even half as open-ended as the original in its approach to map and mission design.

Zaph

Fully approve of this N64 shitting.

Eventually the world will come around to my theory that Nintendo's console success began and ended with the NES. Their handhelds are legit though

PajbN8X.gif

This whole conversation inspired me to crack open my old PS1 game collection to see what I had kept (this was a time when I was selling most of my games to afford new ones).

I kept a lot of the biggies it turns out:

Gran Turismo 2
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX
Tomb Raider
Driver
Castlevania SOTN
Street Fighter Collection
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Resident Evil 2
Metal Gear Solid
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver
Vagrant Story

I don't know why people want Crash Bandicoot to come back. That game had a place and a time, and well...it had a place and a time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It took me a while to come around to the PS2 initially because my brother had the PS2 and I had the Xbox. And I played a shit ton of Riddick, Fable 1, and Halo CE. Those are still some of my favorite games of that generation. But I remember when my brother got San Andreas and I had played his PS2 before to play 3 and Vice City, but he had moved out of our parents house at that point nad he'd bring it over to play after work sometimes and I watched that and that was the most I've ever been like 'I have to have this fucking game right now'

That's also where I played a lot of the original Deus Ex.

yami4ct

DS is still probably my favorite game device ever. I've always been a huge handheld guy and the DS had pretty much everything you could possibly want (aside from a good Fire Emblem). By the end of its life, though, it looks like the 3DS might finally top it.

I don't know why people want Crash Bandicoot to come back. That game had a place and a time, and well...it had a place and a time.

It's pretty much the same kind of people who funded Yooka-Laylee I would say. There's a huge nostalgia boom around old style 3D platformers, even though that genre disappeared for a reason. Pretty soon you'll see people begging for a new Gex and Spyro.

It's pretty much the same kind of people who funded Yooka-Laylee I would say. There's a huge nostalgia boom around old style 3D platformers, even though that genre disappeared for a reason. Pretty soon you'll see people begging for a new Gex and Spyro.

Worse still, the people who funded Mighty No. 9

Yikes..

justjim89

This'll probably a less crazy opinion, but the Painted World in Dark Souls has absolutely nothing on the Painted World in the Witcher 3 DLC. Holy shit.

The boss before that area sucks, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom