• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Worse still, the people who funded Mighty No. 9

Yikes..

The people who funded Mighty No. 9 seem to be getting exactly the product they deserve. A kind of mess of a megaman clone with tacked on multiplayer online that no one wants and yet keeps delaying the product. I'm kinda sad that Inafune seems to be such a bad project manger, because Red Ash looks like something I'd be interested in conceptually.

God I hope this Mighty No. 9 stank doesn't bleed onto Bloodstained, though. That game actually looks cool.

Dark Souls should have had a boss that was a tiny person with a sword and shield that would just run and roll around hacking at your ankles. Turn the tables to let you realize how frustrated the giant bosses always were when fighting the player.

daydream

Banned
It's certainly one of the stand out games I've played so far this year.

i really am enjoying it a whole lot. combat is especially satisfying, turning around in the last second to block an incoming shot is a ton of fun

the only thing i would maybe criticise is the puzzle design which overall is a bit by-the-book but otherwise, it's refreshingly devoid of bloat

yami4ct

Eh, that's being pretty harsh.

Only game I've crowdfunded so far is indivisible.
Maybe deserve is the wrong word, but they absolutely should've expected this result going in.

That game looks exactly as bad now as it did in concept. Anyone who through money at it should've known what they were getting from the get go. Only hilarious surprise has been the tacked on co-op delaying it to hell. The seemingly kinda poor quality to the actual game has always been a feature.

I've personally funded DFA, Amplitude and Republique and only Amplitude really turned out as I hoped. That's the risk with Kickstarter, though, and I always knew there was a decent chance DFA and Republique weren't going to be as good as I'd hoped.

pizzacat

Banned
Because lab zero learned from before. I would have helped if it was another fighting game but that other game looks boo boo

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Maybe deserve is the wrong word, but they absolutely should've expected this result going in.

That game looks exactly as bad now as it did in concept. Anyone who through money at it should've known what they were getting from the get go. Only hilarious surprise has been the tacked on co-op delaying it to hell. The seemingly kinda poor quality to the actual game has always been a feature.

I've personally funded DFA, Amplitude and Republique and only Amplitude really turned out as I hoped. That's the risk with Kickstarter, though, and I always knew there was a decent chance DFA and Republique weren't going to be as good as I'd hoped.

Graphics always looked eh but I'm not sure if people expected the massive delays and tacked on multiplayer stuff.

You get a pretty dope documentary out of DFA though which I felt was like what the whole thing would be about if it didn't explode the way it did.

I've tried to get into the Witcher series like 4 times now. Theoretically it should be a game I like. Just something about it hasn't clicked for me.

yami4ct

Graphics always looked eh but I'm not sure if people expected the massive delays and tacked on multiplayer stuff.

You get a pretty dope documentary out of DFA though which I felt was like what the whole thing would be about if it didn't explode the way it did.

The delays and multiplayer stuff are garbage for sure, but the fact the game itself looks bad can't be taken as a surprise. It's looked bad from the concept art phase. Nothing about that game has screamed quality to me. The whole kickstarter felt slapdash and poorly run as well, so I guess the fact the project became a mess can't be a huge surprise either. They couldn't even run a funding campaign well.

Sure, Red Ash came later and showed us what an actual high profile garbage fire kickstarter looks like, but that doesn't cover up that MNo9 has always seemed like a mess.

KingKong

Dark Souls should have had a boss that was a tiny person with a sword and shield that would just run and roll around hacking at your ankles. Turn the tables to let you realize how frustrated the giant bosses always were when fighting the player.

Thats the point of those little guys in the cathedral and other places

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Big props to the Half Life 1 port as well.

Yeah, not sure why they deserve it.

And holy shit, if you want to talk about doing a crowdfunding pitch correctly then Indivisible is the best example.

I also funded indivisible is because it's dope to see some representation of my birthplace.

South-east asian mythology is pretty ripe for adapting. As long as you like a lot of ghosts based around abortions and stillbirth.

yami4ct

I also funded indivisible is because it's dope to see some representation of my birthplace.

South-east asian mythology is pretty ripe for adapting. As long as you like a lot of ghosts based around abortions and stillbirth.

Mythology in general is pretty underrepresented in games outside of Japanese Gacha stuff. There's more you could do in Greek mythology than God of War. There's certainly more awesome stuff that can come out of Hindu and Shinto mythology. You also have stuff like Meso-american mythology and south-east asian like you mentioned that get zero representation at all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i'm actually surprised there's as little journey to the west games as there are (at least in english)

Chinese(and Asian to a greater extent) literature isn't really pushed onto people in their youth as much as stuff like Shakespeare.

yami4ct

Chinese(and Asian to a greater extent) literature isn't really pushed onto people in their youth as much as stuff like Shakespeare.

I'm kinda shocked how hard it is to find a non-annotated translation of some of that stuff. Trying to read Journey to the West, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, etc. is actually pretty tricky if you can't read Chinese.

Obviously it doesn't help that a lot of these great works are huge and would be massive undertakings to really translate.

i'm actually surprised there's as little journey to the west games as there are (at least in english)

I'm kinda shocked no one's tried to do a straight up Journey to the West adaptation in game form. That's exactly the kind of thing I would expect to see a weird JRPG or something attempt.

Slightly-related, but I'd also love to see more serious historical games. I'd love to see an RPG or adventure game set in Three Kingdoms era China or Sengoku Japan. It's kinda sad that those amazing settings are purely the domain of over the top Dynasty Warriors style games.

Mythology in general is pretty underrepresented in games outside of Japanese Gacha stuff. There's more you could do in Greek mythology than God of War. There's certainly more awesome stuff that can come out of Hindu and Shinto mythology. You also have stuff like Meso-american mythology and south-east asian like you mentioned that get zero representation at all.

But it's represented in gac-

Oh you mentioned Gacha games.

Anjin M

I'm kinda shocked no one's tried to do a straight up Journey to the West adaptation in game form. That's exactly the kind of thing I would expect to see a weird JRPG or something attempt.
While not exactly what you are thinking of, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West seemed to scratch an itch for some people.

I've always wanted to read The Water Margin, for some reason.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Brian Brushwood was on some show my dad was just watching
jeff_twit_dance25bjgr.gif

I don't know why people want Crash Bandicoot to come back. That game had a place and a time, and well...it had a place and a time.

Crazy thing is Crash in the Late 90's/Early 00's had a Q Score that was actually higher than Mario's. It's decline seems to coincide with Naughty Dog and PlayStation ending their work with the franchise. I wonder if Sony bought the rights from Universal Interactive Studios, if Crash would have stayed that popular. Instead, Universal Interactive Studios moved on from their Sony deal. They eventually became Vivendi Universal Games (following Vivendi's purchase of Universal). Vivendi eventually sold off Universal and Vivendi Universal Games became Vivendi Games. Vivendi Games then merged with Activision (with Vivendi renaming itself to Blizzard Entertainment, one of their subsidiaries), to become Activision Blizzard. This is how Activision now owns both Crash and Spyro.

yami4ct

While not exactly what you are thinking of, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West seemed to scratch an itch for some people.

I've always wanted to read The Water Margin, for some reason.

Enslaved is awesome and that's exactly why I want to see more games do that kind of thing.

hamchan

Crash 2 and 3 are two of my favourite platformers of all time. If I could get another game in the series as good as those Naughty Dog games I'm all for it.

Just means they're more well known @_@ And Q-score is a US based scoring system, so it doesn't take into account Marios popularity in Japan.

Yeah, I know. I just find that staggering. Though, I suppose part of that was not really knowing many PlayStation owners around then. Everyone I knew had N64, so PlayStation games were somewhat unknown. Plus, we got the internet later than most (2002). PS2 (got it in 2001) was my first real experience with PlayStation.

Loved Crash as a kid and I think those PS1 games still hold up ok today gameplay wise. They designed around their limitations well.

The PS1 wasnt ready for full 3D platformers and the ones it had are so awkward to play these days. The corridor levels + 2.5 levels make those games kind of timeless.

Plus CTR is a simply amazing racer.

I just dont know how a new, good crash game gets made in thise day and age. Activision would just take a Skylanders B team to do it. And I just dont buy any of the "sony is getting the rights" talk. Thats been going around for 3 years!

Jak & Daxter 1 > Crash.

And this is also probably true.

Jak 1 is just behind the Mario Galaxy's for me in the list of GOAT 3D platformers.

TraBuch

Banned
There's some weird incestuous sexual tension going on between Stephanie and Shane McMahon tonight. This is what wrestling needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom