• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Did they mention it would be out this week/weekend? would be perfect timing

Don't think so, only that it would be recorded. But seeing that it was in the "what we're doing this week" segment at the end I assumed it would be up this weekend or early next week and I still do.

ArjanN

Jeff and Jason's different thresholds for giving games the benefit of the doubt is kind of cringey sometimes when they're in stark contrast. Dude could not sound more bored during that TMNT quick look lol.

Honestly I noticed this a lot in west vs beast coast quick looks, in that beast side are far more likely to actually give something a chance or dig into the mechanics of a game.

Turns out the audience sucks and will always suck at choosing games.

Nah, the picks were mostly fine. GB are never really that consistent with any of these features
because they don't like working all that hard

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Honestly I noticed this a lot in west vs beast coast quick looks, in that beast side are far more likely to actually give something a chance or dig into the mechanics of a game.

He already gave it a chance, played it and didn't like it though? It's not like he jumped in for the first time

Myggen

That TMNT game looks fucking terrible so it's not really a good example if you want to make that point, Jason and Jeff seemed equally down on it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That TMNT game looks fucking terrible so it's not really a good example if you want to make that point, Jason and Jeff seemed equally down on it.

Yeah that game just looks boring to play. Mash buttons to win and repeat this x5 for each mission is not exciting gameplay.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I bought Samurai Warriors 4: Empires and now I've got a chest infection that's transitioning into a throat infection. I'm blaming Austin and that quicklook for my illness.

I also now own Nobunaga's Ambition, I've fallen down a weird hole here.

Mr. F

Banned

Oh, yeah it looks like trash. Guess more in that it felt like Jeff didn't care about the idea of a TMNT game regardless of quality while Jason was pretty earnest as a fan on wanting to like it more. Some QL combos work better than others to me, I guess.

Well

To be fair to Jeff and jason, TMNT looks like a cash-in. Alot of Platinums output that isn't an original IP seems to be that way. Korra, Transformers, they take ideas from different things while keeping an action combat style like Bayonetta, and it never becomes its own thing.

Well

To be fair to Jeff and jason, TMNT looks like a cash-in. Alot of Platinums output that isn't an original IP seems to be that way. Korra, Transformers, they take ideas from different things while keeping an action combat style like Bayonetta, and it never becomes its own thing.

I haven't played TMNT, but Transformers is great. It seems to me that it was just a victim of Platinum's C team that also did Korra.

Myggen

Anyways, wouldn't be against Game Tapes going up on Saturday. Going away tomorrow to Sunday, and having Game Tapes, Demo Derby, UPF and whatever else when I come home would be awesome.

I bought Samurai Warriors 4: Empires and now I've got a chest infection that's transitioning into a throat infection. I'm blaming Austin and that quicklook for my illness.

Should have bought a gunpla instead.

Well

Korra and TMNT do not play like Bayonetta. Transformers is like a mix between Rising and Bayonetta, but it has the same low-budget filler design as their other Activision games. It just doesn't play like crap.

Salarians

I still can't believe they use practically every stereotypical Korean trope, a bunch of 1337 gamer lingo, and a little sprinkling of anime, and somehow ended up with a likable character.

it's your own fault

you should know very well that the human immune system doesn't take kindly to consuming raw sewage

kvk1

dva is god awful, pure trash

mercy is the one true queen

YNrfRbG.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I still can't believe they use practically every stereotypical Korean trope, a bunch of 1337 gamer lingo, and a little sprinkling of anime, and somehow ended up with a likable character.

Wait, what korean stereotypes?

Maybe I'm blind to it but I can't think of any.

Fantastapotamus

Not having played Overwatch beyond the Beta: How is she a "likeable" character? Not saying she isn't or anything but I just don't get it. Is she a "character" more so than "Terrorist #3" in CS is a character? There is no story in this game, right?

Salarians

Wait, what korean stereotypes?

Maybe I'm blind to it but I can't think of any.
Stereotype is probably the wrong word. I mean the whole pro-gamer + Korean pop/movie star angle, which are probably the two most obvious things a lot of westerners think of in regards to Korea.

Not having played Overwatch beyond the Beta: How is she a "likeable" character? Not saying she isn't or anything but I just don't get it. Is she a "character" more so than "Terrorist #3" in CS is a character? There is no story in this game, right?
She's charming and endearing in the same way the whole cast is (except Bastion, who is literal junk). There's no story (outside of world/character backgrounds and the shorts/comics), but they're all overflowing with personality. Their designs, banter and combat lines, animations, etc.

KingKong

Shes a cute girl so theres a million posts on this forum about her being a waifu

Stereotype is probably the wrong word. I mean the whole pro-gamer + Korean pop/movie star angle, which are probably the two most obvious things a lot of westerners think of in regards to Korea.

She's charming and endearing in the same way the whole cast is (except Bastion, who is literal junk). There's no story (outside of world/character backgrounds and the shorts/comics), but they're all overflowing with personality. Their designs, banter and combat lines, animations, etc.

Beep Boop DWEEEEEP

You should have done what I did with SW4: Empires: enter John Cena and other WWE wrestlers as characters and bury any Japanese warrior foolish enough to stand in the way of Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Maybe because I'm too familiar with it but all I could think of when I listen to mei is "man they just picked someone with the thickest accent they could find huh."

Fantastapotamus

Oh, alright. I guess I'm not susceptible (?) to this stuff. I need a story to like a character.

valeo

I do like the fact that the two 'Australian characters are both horrible looking.

At least there isn't a Crocodile Dundee stereotype I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom