• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

Speaking of The Witcher - if May wasn't already crazy enough, it looks like the last expansion pack is getting great reviews.

That is the argument I was expecting.

"These DLC tell amazing stories, you should totally play it even if you didn't click with the main game. You only tried it for 100 hours? You are right at the bit where it gets good!"

vs

"Witcher is garbage. Combat is trash, movement is trash, horse is trash, Geralt is trash. I don't understand the inventory. Gwent is awful. Bloody Baron is the only decent quest line".

graboids

made this for fun while listening to the Bombcast this week...

yeehaw....

2856175-vrodeo.jpg

"Witcher is garbage. Combat is trash, movement is trash, horse is trash, Geralt is trash. I don't understand the inventory. Gwent is awful. Bloody Baron is the only decent quest line".

I mean, this is kinda how I feel and I didn't even manage to finish the Bloody Baron quest because it's not actually that great.

jgminto

I mean, this is kinda how I feel and I didn't even manage to finish the Bloody Baron quest because it's not actually that great.

The majority of that quest is overrated, the area after Bloody Baron is actually way better. Exploring Novigrad and working for the city's underground crime syndicate as religious zealots burn their way through the magic and non-human population is so much more interesting than an alcoholic Baron.

LiK

Bloody Baron quest is great but there's a ton of sidequests from random NPCs that I loved. They're shorter but very memorable. You need to find them cuz they're not part of the critical path. I think most people who only follow the main story will miss out on them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Said it before, but Bloody Baron is far from the best part of that game. It's just the first big quest line so everyone played it.

But it's one that stands out. I really loved the turns that quest took.
I can't wait for Blood&Wine, Witcher 3 might be among my favourite games of all time, seriously.

Bloody Baron quest is great but there's a ton of sidequests from random NPCs that I loved. They're shorter but very memorable. You need to find them cuz they're not part of the critical path. I think most people who only follow the main story will miss out on them.

I loved the little one-off quests too. Giving backstory and significance to the otherwise random ruins and little locations across the map really breathes life into that world.

LiK

I loved the little one-off quests too. Giving backstory and significance to the otherwise random ruins and little locations across the map really breathes life into that world.

Yea, whenever I got tired of the main quest, I go look for the sidequests and they kept the game fresh cuz some of them are pretty hilarious or very creepy and dark. Really cool lil stories.

jgminto

The scenes involving the Crones are the only memorable thing out of the Bloody Baron questline for me, now those are some interesting characters.

I can't think of a questline as good as Bloody Baron (in the Witcher 3 sans DLC).

While I can think of an irreverent sidequest at Kaer Morhen that's a solid 2-3x better.

Spoilers:
The witchers get drunk together and mayhem ensues.
I haven't actually finished the Witcher 3 yet... but that whole scenario is pretty much the best thing I've ever seen in the Witcherverse.

LiK

While I can think of an irreverent sidequest at Kaer Morhen that's a solid 2-3x better.

Spoilers:
I haven't actually finished the Witcher 3 yet... but that whole scenario is pretty much the best thing I've ever seen in the Witcherverse.

The
crossdressing
was fucking hilarious. Came outta nowhere.

Spoilers:
That's a great one. Triss's side quest chain also stands out for me.

demidar

Spoilers:

I didn't get that, but it's pretty likely it wouldn't beat Bloody Baron for me, and I love irreverent shit.

Good characterization and writing is so much more rarer than good irreverence.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I can't think of a questline as good as Bloody Baron (in the Witcher 3 sans DLC).

The Skellige succession quest line. The assassination of Radovid and persecution of witches/non-humans. Anything involving trolls. The Kaer Morhain bits.

Lots of stuff. Bloody Baron is a tired old story about an abuser that's asking us to feel sympathy for the abuser while his victims are marginalized in the story itself. The parts involving the witches and the baby were pretty great, but other than that, I'm not hot on Bloody Baron.

I would play a Paradox-developed Witcher game. Grand strategy on a fantastic scale.
I didn't get that, but it's pretty likely it wouldn't beat Bloody Baron for me, and I love irreverent shit.

Good characterization and writing is so much more rarer than good irreverence.

Part of what makes the Witcher 3 so mindblowing is that so much of it is missable. It's not afraid to give players a truly unique experience.

popo

Your opinion is as valid as the next guy, so long as everyone is civil about it.

It is the side who has to tell everyone who doesn't like the game they are wrong - and vice versa - that gets irritating.

For the record, I love Witcher - if you don't, that is cool too.

This Overwatch is a new low in Michael Transactions is really hurting my brain.

Is it just cosmetics? If so, who gives a fuck. If you like the game so much you want to buy a skin for your main, get your wallet out.

Just to let you all know, I've been quietly categorized each of you based on your Witcher 3 opinions and, even if I appear civil most of the time, the category headers are good people and bad people.

demidar

The Skellige succession quest line. The assassination of Radovid and persecution of witches/non-humans. Anything involving trolls. The Kaer Morhain bits.

Lots of stuff. Bloody Baron is a tired old story about an abuser that's asking us to feel sympathy for the abuser while his victims are marginalized in the story itself. The parts involving the witches and the baby were pretty great, but other than that, I'm not hot on Bloody Baron.

But all that other stuff is tired, well trodden ground too :V

I actually sighed when I got to the Skellige questline, called it from a light year away.

Your opinion is as valid as the next guy, so long as everyone is civil about it.

It is the side who has to tell everyone who doesn't like the game they are wrong - and vice versa - that gets irritating.

For the record, I love Witcher - if you don't, that is cool too.

Is it just cosmetics? If so, who gives a fuck. If you like the game so much you want to buy a skin for your main, get your wallet out.

It is all cosmetic, like Dota 2 except it has an upfront cost of buying the game.

OP was complaining about missing out on "voiced lines" (which are just quippy taunts), claiming he's not getting the full "experience" of the character's personality (which you can get in much denser doses in unique pre-game dialogue between certain pairs of characters before a match starts) and that this experience was more important than the gameplay itself.

And here's the kicker, he hasn't even played the game.

Voiced lines are also 25 in-game bux, which is fucking nothing.

Salarians

Overwatch's loot boxes are literally just cosmetics. It's not too different from the system used in ME3's multiplayer, except ME3 locked actual gameplay relevant things (characters, guns, expendable items) behind their random slot machine boxes.

So yes, much like TF2's crates before they dumped a shitload of weapons into the game, it doesn't matter at all.

It will be interesting to see if Overwatch ends up going the same route as TF2. I genuinely hope not since the weapons/crate/f2p system really burned the game for me. Focus shifted from getting some decent maps or game modes into official rotation and on to events that would push key sales.

popo

If I played Dota, I would be one of those insufferable people who had all stock skins, etc and constantly reminded everyone how I had not put one dollar in to the game :D

Jintor

man i can't wait to go home and maybe upgrade my pc so my hitman shadows aren't absolute shit and the game doesn't stutter for twenty seconds when I first walk outside. At least it's okay after that.

I don't particularly care about NMS but the reddit reactions are pretty gold. At least people are getting mad about something that doesn't (directly) involve gatoring

The randomize crates just turn off my desire to pay anything extra but they are undoubtedly super effective for generating more money. But completely cosmetic microtransactions simply do not bother me and if I can buy what I want I'm willing to buy. I've bought several ship skins in Elite Dangerous and that game is played completely in first person, only a debug camera, the outfitting screens and planetary landings let me see the exterior.

KingKong

If I played Dota, I would be one of those insufferable people who had all stock skins, etc and constantly reminded everyone how I had not put one dollar in to the game :D

no one cares about dota skins

but when you see the worst player on your CSGO team flash his 200 dollar knife, you feel something for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom