• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

90mins? Well then

1pFeat8.gif

Spaghetti

Shenmue 3 is totally going to be the next Mighty No 9, isn't it? There's no chance that game has a smooth dev cycle and delivers the product the fans want with the budget it has. I'm going to be so sad for the fans that have waited for so many years when the final game disappoints.
I'm biased but- will it?

Mighty No. 9 always seemed like Inafune/Comcept trying to launch a brand to milk, given how prematurely they started touting things like an animated series, merchandising, etc. That shows in the game, so I'm not surprised it looks so soulless. Not to mention the Kickstarter's stretch goals had unnecessary shit like cross-platform online play. That mess came from the top down, and backers and Inti Creates got shafted by a hollow desire to follow up on the Mega Man legacy.

People like to shit on Shenmue, but you can't deny the significant amount of heart behind how Shenmue III came about. A French businessman (who happened to be a fan) got together with Yu Suzuki, got SEGA to licence the IP, launched a triple world-record breaking Kickstarter on one of the biggest stages in gaming (again, with the help from a fan), and went on to hire fans to work on the project too. There's so much personal investment from the developers to make Shenmue III good (not least from Yu Suzuki himself, the man cried with happiness backstage at E3 and again on the end of KS live-stream), that I don't think that effort will go unnoticed.

Not that Mighty No. 9 wasn't made with some degree of love, but it's clear Inafune saw it just as a business opportunity. I think that is a key difference between both projects (I also think S3's KS stretch goals were more smartly structured too, but it's not worth going into that), that will help Shenmue III, as another poster said, "pull a DOOM".

As for the dev cycle of Shenmue III, I can't really say anything beyond what they've told backers. They're keeping their cards close to their chest, but they released a simple workflow graphic last year, and seem to just be getting on with the meat and potatoes of test-driven development. When asked what the biggest challenges of the project were so far, Yu Suzuki seemed confident that they'd only struggled with lack of up to date UE4 documentation in Japanese, and trouble finding experienced UE4 developers in the country.

I know he could hiding something else, but I'll take him for his word considering how open he's been about the project before, which caused a few overblown headlines.

Isn't sony still claiming that they've only put money in for marketing and have no budgetary commitment or hand in the actual making of it? That was the claim and it makes the project sound more worrying than less.
As for this, Sony are publishing and marketing the PS4 version, which offsets costs that would otherwise be diverted from the development budget. SIE's Third Party Production Team does seem to have some kind of oversight over the project though, seeing how YSnet is on the list of stops Gio Corsi and Boyes make when they're in Japan on business. Shibuya Productions are the main investor. No idea how much or how little money that is, but they're at least headed by someone who loves the series unconditionally and has a real monetary and personal stake in making the game succeed.

Don't get me wrong, Shenmue III is an uphill battle. I just don't see the point on shitting on the underdog. The idea of a former superstar developer coming together with fans to work on the ultimate passion project sounds exciting, to be honest.

Sorry for the long ass post. I usually just lurk in this thread, but I felt I needed to say something given that this thread usually turns into an echo chamber with certain games. Which is fine, people gravitate to this thread given that their tastes are mostly in-sync with GB staff, and only Dan has ever admitted to liking Shenmue, but y'know, I felt like sticking up for the game because nobody else seemed to.

Back onto something GB related:

My relationship with Vinnyvania is so bittersweet. I love the series, but I know they'll run out of Castlevania games eventually, because Konami will probably never make another ever again. Can't wait for a Vinnyvania stream in 2022 when they smuggle a Castlevania pachinko machine through Emperor Trump's steel wall using a magnet levitation system.

Shenmue 3 is totally going to be the next Mighty No 9, isn't it? There's no chance that game has a smooth dev cycle and delivers the product the fans want with the budget it has. I'm going to be so sad for the fans that have waited for so many years when the final game disappoints.

I have faith in Yu Suzuki

Myggen

15 min so far and this is EXACTLY what I hoped it would be! <3

I've hoped for years that they would get Cowboy to do some sort of solo feature. He's clearly incredible at what he does but is not the kind of guy to talk a lot on the E3 streams when there's 3 other guests. This format is perfect. Really looking forward to watching it when I get home later tonight.

Strax

People like to shit on Shenmue, but you can't deny the significant amount of heart behind how Shenmue III came about. A French businessman (who happened to be a fan) got together with Yu Suzuki, got SEGA to licence the IP, launched a triple world-record breaking Kickstarter on one of the biggest stages in gaming (again, with the help from a fan), and went on to hire fans to work on the project too. There's so much personal investment from the developers to make Shenmue III good (not least from Yu Suzuki himself, the man cried with happiness backstage at E3 and again on the end of KS live-stream), that I don't think that effort will go unnoticed

This can also be a huge double edge sword. Every change to characters or systems could be met by resentment by the team working on the game or it ending up as a budget remake of the last game.

jaina

snip
you can't deny the significant amount of heart behind how Shenmue III came about. snip
Always nice when someone familiar with the matter comes out of the woodwork and chimes in.

I'm curious how they'll update all the IMHO outdated systems (or won't they?) of shenmue and still capture the same atmosphere.

daydream

Banned
heart has sadly never translated into quality

that is not to say shenmue 3 will turn out one way or the other, though i think it will largely depend on how one evaluates the previous two installments and how much reconsideration and reconceptualisation one deems necessary as a result of that
correct answer: a lot

I knew Spaghetti would show up, duder's been in every one of those Shenmue threads since the game was announced. If anyone's going to know the going-ons of the project, it'll be them.

Sorry for the long ass post. I usually just lurk in this thread, but I felt I needed to say something given that this thread usually turns into an echo chamber with certain games. Which is fine, people gravitate to this thread given that their tastes are mostly in-sync with GB staff, and only Dan has ever admitted to liking Shenmue, but y'know, I felt like sticking up for the game because nobody else seemed to.

I wouldn't exactly say that people aren't sticking up for the game in any kind of malicious way, just that a lot of people had the same reaction to the announcement that Jeff did--tepid, or "what just happened?" Shenmue was the last game anyone expected to be announced (other than if you were following Yu's twitter) precisely because it's such a fan game. As has been discussed by them, it will be interesting to see if Shenmu3 continues with the gameplay that fans want, or if they'll make concessions for a wider audience.

I think right now it's impossible to say how the game will do.

google keywords alert?

Nah, just a big fan!

Jintor

Is there anyone in here well versed enough in stock proceedings/acquisitions that can help me understand some details regarding one company purchasing a major stake in another? I'll take it to PMs but I just want to get a sense of what these things actually mean.

Do you want to know more beyond the basics of "If company A owns a large amount of stock in company B, they have more bargaining power regarding the operation of company B because they can form a voting block with other stockholders"?

also i played some overwatch and yo that game is rad.

really interesting how almost all classes have, like, 1 weapon and that's it. really simplifies things. But the complex ability game is sick

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do you want to know more beyond the basics of "If company A owns a large amount of stock in company B, they have more bargaining power regarding the operation of company B because they can form a voting block with other stockholders"?

also i played some overwatch and yo that game is rad.

really interesting how almost all classes have, like, 1 weapon and that's it. really simplifies things. But the complex ability game is sick

To be fair tf2 started that way.

Just wait for overwatch. It'll come.

mintyice

Someone needs to make a collage with Danny doing that face from all his twitter pics, I think that's the only way he knows how to take a picture.

I'd do it myself but that's work.

Have you see Dave Lang's pics? He perfected the teenager girl stare into the camera look.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Ugh I really hope not. I think Overwatch, whilst still very good, is already too complex compared to original TF2. TF2 was great for having clear and easily identifiable roles for the classes. Overwatch has a lot of overlap between character abilities and roles which in a first-person, high pace games is too confusing.

Jintor

It definitely needs a class tutorial. I kinda understand a lot of the roles intuitively but I don't really want to experiment too much because, live game and all. Also, it lacks the really simple ID of tf2's classes, at least to a new player. But that'll come with time

yami4ct

Overwatch has alternate heroes to fill the same role as the alternate load outs of TF2. I think Blizzard will just add new heroes that they can just sell more skins for rather than implement new things for the current set. I could see the hero load out eventually getting DOTA bad if the game does hold steady.

demidar

Ugh I really hope not. I think Overwatch, whilst still very good, is already too complex compared to original TF2. TF2 was great for having clear and easily identifiable roles for the classes. Overwatch has a lot of overlap between character abilities and roles which in a first-person, high pace games is too confusing.

There's a lot of nuance that isn't explained (or relegated to tips). Like how Winston and Symmetra's beam guns go through Reinhardt's shield, or that Genji can deflect McCree's Deadshot back at him for an instant kill.

Overwatch has alternate heroes to fill the same role as the alternate load outs of TF2. I think Blizzard will just add new heroes that they can just sell more skins for rather than implement new things for the current set. I could see the hero load out eventually getting DOTA bad if the game does hold steady.

Orrrr they could give Junkrat a shield and a sword.

It definitely needs a class tutorial. I kinda understand a lot of the roles intuitively but I don't really want to experiment too much because, live game and all. Also, it lacks the really simple ID of tf2's classes, at least to a new player. But that'll come with time
I suppose that's true, but I also feel like Overwatch's characters have a lower barrier to entry compared to TF2. I've played a couple dozen hours of TF2 and even after all that I'm still afraid to play Spy, because I know I would only be a burden to my team. Whereas with Overwatch I was never afraid to jump into a character, because after 10 minutes or so I always had a good enough grip to at least feel like I was contributing something, even if I was missing a lot of the higher level strategies.

Edit: TF2 also had recommended class builds that required you to unlock a lot of items before you could try them, which really discouraged me from trying out new classes

Guess Who

Banned
I suppose that's true, but I also feel like Overwatch's characters have a lower barrier to entry compared to TF2. I've played a couple dozen hours of TF2 and even after all that I'm still afraid to play Spy, because I know I would only be a burden to my team.

This is less because Spy has a high barrier of entry and more because Spy is an extremely situational class that relies as much on the other team fucking up as your own skill.

This is less because Spy has a high barrier of entry and more because Spy is an extremely situational class that relies as much on the other team fucking up as your own skill.

Well there's also a lot of juking/hitbox abusing that you have to get good at if you want to be a real top tier spy.

This Uncharted video is TOO GOOD, even though I cannot grasp everything Cowboy is saying.

Thanks, Brad and Jason.

Yeah I can understand maybe 50% of the lingo he's using but it's still interesting as hell. Always cool when GB leverages their dev connections for cool stuff like this and the Witness video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom