• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian Gyrling, who is a lead programmer at ND, gave a talk last year at GDC (that I just randomly came across) about porting their game engine to PS4 for the Last of Us Remaster and what it took to make the game run at 60 FPS. Sounds like it was not easy. It's a very technical talk, but if you're familiar with threading and memory allocation, it's actually fairly easy to follow.
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022186/Parallelizing-the-Naughty-Dog-Engine

While I'm not a big fan of Shane Satterfield, I'm sad to see some jerk stole literally everything from his video game site SIFTD. They had just announced last week they were offering a free option, while also bumping up their $30/year subscription to $50/year.

The train sequence of the Uncharted video, holy shit.

Still really impressive. The number of games attempting anything like "character climbing and animating on high-speed moving object which also has NPCs moving and pathfinding on object" can be counted on two hands, I think.

While I'm not a big fan of Shane Satterfield, I'm sad to see some jerk stole literally everything from his video game site SIFTD. They had just announced last week they were offering a free option, while also bumping up their $30/year subscription to $50/year.

Yeah, it's fucking terrible but it doesn't surprise me. If shitty people stole GB's equipment then they'll steal anything from anyone.

Yeah, it's fucking terrible but it doesn't surprise me. If shitty people stole GB's equipment then they'll steal anything from anyone.

Fortunately, GB has the backing of CBSi. SIFTD is reportedly struggling mightily, which led to the need for new pricing structures. And in the thread I posted, some people are saying they might not have insurance, which would make things even worse.

Encouraging Dan's wrestling habit at PROGRESS today
6bMNwe5.jpg
#TeamRyckert

Megasoum

Banned
I imagine that it's because of Youtube Compression but I am not seeing that debug thing in the Uncharted 1 menu.

Also lol at ND slipping through some debug under the radar in a Sony game submission.

Myggen

Man it's just incredible how good Uncharted 2 still looks on PS3. That game has to be one of the greatest technical achievements in gaming even if it had some framerate issues.

Man..............

Shane Satterfield said:
Hey everyone. Today might be the worst day of my life. I've worked so hard for this and someone just came in and took it away. We're not sure if we have insurance. We got insurance when we got the location and it was set to auto withdrawal from our account. We've went back and looked and the insurance company stopped withdrawing payment for some unknown reason. They never contacted us about it.

I hate to say it, but this might be the end of SIFTD. We simply can't afford to replace everything that was stolen. We're working with the authorities and reached out to our insurance company, but it's a holiday weekend here in the US so I probably won't hear anything until Tuesday at the earliest. Needless to say, there won't be a GameFace this week. We have no cameras, mics, or anything else required to produce a show. I cried for an hour straight. I just can't believe this happened. The world isn't fair, but I already knew this.

Salarians

Man it's just incredible how good Uncharted 2 still looks on PS3. That game has to be one of the greatest technical achievements in gaming even if it had some framerate issues.
I played UC2 for the first time in 2013 and the train sequence is still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a game.

Megasoum

Banned
The uncharted video was great but I wish they would have spent a bit more time on UC4.

Also I'm really curious about the (uc4 spoiler)
Crash Bandicoot emulation

yami4ct

The uncharted video was great but I wish they would have spent a bit more time on UC4.

Also I'm really curious about the (uc4 spoiler)
Crash Bandicoot emulation

I have to imagine Naughty Dog wants to keep some of their better tricks close to their chest. They're still working on PS4, why let everyone know your secret sauce?

Salarians

I remember, many years ago, seeing a video tour of Naughty Dog's office filmed with a camera attached to a dog. I wonder if that exists anywhere.

Man..............

:/. This just bums me out and I'm speaking as a guy who isn't a fan but I'd be glad to donate if he sets up anything, hopefully the insurance company will send some good news his way. I do hope those that stole get caught more than anything, nothing worse than someone jumping in and taking away whatever you worked hard for.

Myggen

:/. This just bums me out and I'm speaking as a guy who isn't a fan but I'd be glad to donate if he sets up anything, hopefully the insurance company will send some good news his way. I do hope those that stole get caught more than anything, nothing worse than someone jumping in and taking away whatever you worked hard for.

For sure, that really sucks to hear.

Some people over in the thread I posted are now accusing them of insurance fraud, considering the timing of everything: happened right after they talked about struggling, happened a week after they changed their pricing structure, happened on Memorial Day weekend when agencies have Monday off, and finally, them not realizing their insurance might've lapsed. With all that, I don't buy it. It's just a bad deal for them and nothing insidious on their part.

yami4ct

Some people over in the thread I posted are now accusing them of insurance fraud, considering the timing of everything: Happening right after they talked about struggling, happening a week after they changed their pricing structure, happening on Memorial Day weekend when agencies have Monday off, and finally, them not realizing their insurance might've lapsed. With all that, I don't buy it. It's just a bad deal for them and nothing insidious on their part.

Bad luck happens. Just because it's suspicious doesn't make it fraud. There's no reason to make those silly accusations on no evidence. If you aren't a fraud investigator, it's not your responsibility to determine if it's suspicious. That kind of talk just hurts people when they're down.

I have to imagine Naughty Dog wants to keep some of their better tricks close to their chest. They're still working on PS4, why let everyone know your secret sauce?

I'd love for them to go back and do something similar for UC4 at some point in the future. I'd really love to know the behind the scenes stuff of the market jeep chase and the tower collapse near the end.

Bad luck happens. Just because it's suspicious doesn't make it fraud. There's no reason to make those silly accusations on no evidence. If you aren't a fraud investigator, it's not your responsibility to determine if it's suspicious. That kind of talk just hurts people when they're down.

Yeah, people are too quick to blame the victim. It's a real shame, because that was Shane's baby. There's no way he'd do something that risky. It was just a series of bad fortune that all hit at once. I do hope other similar sites will make sure their insurance is all in order after this.

Edit- Perhaps a stroke of luck (or stupidity of thieves). Apparently the robbers drank beer from the fridge and left the empty bottles behind. Finger prints!

Edit- Perhaps a stroke of luck (or stupidity of thieves). Apparently the robbers drank beer from the fridge and left the empty bottles behind. Finger prints!

Unfortunately fingerprints (or as one poster was hoping, DNA--which would be a long shot) won't help if they don't have a suspect and the thieves aren't in the system. Or if they wore gloves.

Unfortunately fingerprints (or as one poster was hoping, DNA--which would be a long shot) won't help if they don't have a suspect and the thieves aren't in the system. Or if they wore gloves.

Good point.

Edit- Man. To make matters worse, they were not the only office in their building hit. The building's security typically has cameras watching the premises, but apparently they were not working. So the robbers might not be captured on camera.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Thank you. I don't care for SIFTD, but I hate these kind of unfounded accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom