• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doop

I wonder if that kind of scam has ever worked with a dev. It probably has since they`re still doing it, but with that broken English...

Those scammers also do it with youtubers, so I can see that one working more if the dev doesn't have knowledge of who that person is, or what their contact info is. That being combined with spending all day sending out keys would probably bring your guard down.

I wonder if that kind of scam has ever worked with a dev. It probably has since they`re still doing it, but with that broken English...

This would be expensive, but I would love it if they made a special version of the game that is all types of broken, with very specific problems. Then, if someone complains about the issues. Boom! They found the person that asked for the code. It'd be similar to anti-pirate features (like in Game Dev Tycoon, where pirates would lose in the game because their games made in the game keep getting pirated).

Also, not related, but this whole "fake person" thing reminded me, did we ever hear more about that supposed Saudi prince or whatever that was into Giant Bomb?

the "celebrity phone number" thing on the bombcast was fun but less juicy than I hoped. for a while there I had a small collection of c-tier actors and indie musicians contact info for various reasons, and it was always funny because I don't give a crap about celebrity status. and working at various places that tend to hold charity events gives you a lot of random encounters with recognizable faces.

in hindsight I probably could have spun some of those "you met X? tell me about it!" conversations into more than "I dunno, they seemed nice enough." I'm either the best or worst person to introduce to famous people, I guess.

Tubobutts

This would be expensive, but I would love it if they made a special version of the game that is all types of broken, with very specific problems. Then, if someone complains about the issues. Boom! They found the person that asked for the code.
Didn't they do that with Arkham Asylum? Like the cape didn't work in the pirated version or something so they knew a guy complaining on the forums had pirated it.

Didn't they do that with Arkham Asylum? Like the cape didn't work in the pirated version or something so they knew a guy complaining on the forums had pirated it.

Yeah, but in the case of this fake Giant Bomb employee, it would be a unique game for them and only them. They could do some funny stuff, if they had the time and money.

Megasoum

Banned
Not really a scam per se but I've had a couple of times in the past people from Eastern European countries blind mailing me on my work email asking for Hitman or Tomb Raider keys cause they were too poor to buy the game.

TraBuch

Banned
Anyone seen The Salvation? It's a western starring Mads Mikkelsen and Eva Green. It's about to come on and while I'm not a huge western guy, I am a huge Eva Green guy. Hmm.

Lunar FC

Watching Tottenham totally meltdown has completely made my day. I was almost in tears from laughter. Incredible.

Grats Leicester!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
just saw the Alienation quick look

that game is basically just Alien Swarm, right?

Strax

I've never understood why film companies don't do this. Release a rip with the audio out of sync, most people don't know how to fix it without looking it up.

They do that with a lot of games. Earthbound had a thing where the game will do a final check right before the final boss, crashing and deleting your save file. Pokemon Black/White had a thing where you wouldn't gain any experience at all in battles (this lead to a hilarious incident where a big fansite previewed "an import copy" and stated that this was some unannounced new feature for the tutorial). Deus Ex also did this to catch pirates; the boat wouldn't let you leave Liberty Island after the first mission. Serious Sam 3 had a giant unkillable boss that would chase you throughout the level.

neshcom

Banned
I've never understood why film companies don't do this. Release a rip with the audio out of sync, most people don't know how to fix it without looking it up.

Audio sync is generally a really easy fix unless it's been rendered completely unwatchable (but then who would download that release?). Film companies will often watermark screeners to find sources of leaks, but I don't know where printing or rendering a sub-standard version of a film would be advantageous in combatting piracy specifically in the movie/TV industry.

Dangerous Golf video was hard to watch. I feel like Jeff constantly tried to help them showcase thier came better, but they bullishly ran through the game showing none of its personality. I feel like that game is better than that, but I Was left with a really dull feeling watching the developers monotonously push though the content.

Lunar FC

Dangerous Golf video was hard to watch. I feel like Jeff constantly tried to help them showcase thier came better, but they bullishly ran through the game showing none of its personality. I feel like that game is better than that, but I Was left with a really dull feeling watching the developers monotonously push though the content.

I guess demonstrating games wasn't in either of these guys 'three fields'.

I'm pretty sure Remedy has always worked in an eyepatch that appears on your character if you pirate their games (or at least for Alan Wake and Quantum Break).

Why is the crew so against a traditional Endurance Run? From the PAX panel Jeff didn't like the idea because it's an every day thing. I mean.... isn't that what GameGrumps does? Compare the views on the average GameGrumps video to a Giant Bomb video. The numbers don't lie, works fine for them. Arin is a fucking millionaire. They even do tons of side projects. I don't get it, do they have a monumental amount of tasks throughout the day? Is there a lot of business type bullshit going on EVERY day of the week? Thinking more about it, I believe GG do multiple hours of videos a day and just disperse that over weeks. Why doesn't GB do that? I guess they do with Metal Gear Scanlon but even that stuff was never daily, it was weekly for an hour or so of content? Why not split it up into 15-30 minute chunks so we get more content through the week? I've never seen a business so actively averse to providing content people want.

Why is the crew so against a traditional Endurance Run? From the PAX panel Jeff didn't like the idea because it's an every day thing. I mean.... isn't that what GameGrumps does? Compare the views on the average GameGrumps video to a Giant Bomb video. The numbers don't lie, works fine for them. Arin is a fucking millionaire. They even do tons of side projects. I don't get it, do they have a monumental amount of tasks throughout the day? Is there a lot of business type bullshit going on EVERY day of the week? Thinking more about it, I believe GG do multiple hours of videos a day and just disperse that over weeks. Why doesn't GB do that? I guess they do with Metal Gear Scanlon but even that stuff was never daily, it was weekly for an hour or so of content? Why not split it up into 15-30 minute chunks so we get more content through the week? I've never seen a business so actively averse to providing content people want.

Maybe they don't want to.

Maybe Giant Bomb doesn't believe quantity, money and profit is greater than believing in the quality of, and taking personal pride in, your output.

Mechanized, you realize that GG makes their money through partnerships yeah? I think millionaire is stretching it, too.

Besides GB has always just kinda done what they wanted to, because they can support themselves through the subscriber base. It'd be weird for them to do daily LPs.

Mechanized, you realize that GG makes their money through partnerships yeah? I think millionaire is stretching it, too.

Besides GB has always just kinda done what they wanted to, because they can support themselves through the subscriber base. It'd be weird for them to do daily LPs.

They also work for a company too.

Myggen

I wouldn't be surprised if Arin is a millionare, I would be surprised if he wasn't tbh. But yeah, YTers like GG make a lot of, probably most of, their money through various partnerships.

pizzacat

Banned
You will never get another Hot Shots!

I hope there`s another Hot Shots.
Like its crazy to me that we live in a world where crash might be getting something but no news on hot shots

Hot Shots is timeless, crash is out of time as we can see by him traveling back in time in Crash 3

One of the Dragon Quest remakes on DS has a neverending boat ride if you're playing a pirate copy.
The berserk game we all needed

Strax

Audio sync is generally a really easy fix unless it's been rendered completely unwatchable (but then who would download that release?). Film companies will often watermark screeners to find sources of leaks, but I don't know where printing or rendering a sub-standard version of a film would be advantageous in combatting piracy specifically in the movie/TV industry.

Because the avg. person downloading a torrent just knows how to download a torrent. They are not looking at comments to see the stats of the rip or know how to fix video being out sync. Or just remove sound from random scenes, whatever. That kind of stuff will drive people away from torrent. Flood the torrents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom