• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Catching up on content I`ve missed and holy shit does Soft Body look like it gets intense. Being bad at controlling two objects at the same time means that I probably would literally not be able to finish that game. What a fantastic look that game has though, and some really creative concepts. Glad they take time to QL weird stuff like that even though I imagine it doesn`t bring in that many views for them.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Company & Brand All-Stars Genre With Guest Brand

jRiKlOm.jpg

justjim89

I wonder if we'll get a Quick Look for Far Harbor. Between that, Survival Mode being out, and mods on consoles coming out, it'd be prime time to revisit Fallout 4. I've probably put in another 20 hours in the past few weeks, especially today rolling fresh with a survival mode character.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh man... Wacky Races... The Wii game was the first game I worked on when I started in the industry...

So much WiiMote waggling ughhh

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'This game's alright'

ok thank god Brad justified me liking Obi Wan as a kid. Because I felt like everyone talked shit about that game and I remembered liking it.
Oh man... Wacky Races... The Wii game was the first game I worked on when I started in the industry...

So much WiiMote waggling ughhh

Did you work on Cartoon Network Racing for the DS? I played that game a lot. A really solid Mario Kart clone with full Cartoon Cartoon episodes you could unlock.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Watching Game Tapes makes me kinda miss the time when publishers just threw out games left and right and there were like 800 semi-big publishers. Look at all this weird crap. Look at it. I don't know why this makes me nostalgic.

Episode 1 is absolutely the worst. Brad is crazy. I take back my remark

No man, Episode 2 is so much worse. So much worse.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
noooooo AotC somehow pulled off the impossible and out-sucked TPM

Ep 1 has kid Annakin and Jar Jar and boring ass Qui Gonn and bland Obi Wan.

I'll take Annakin/Padme bullshit over any of those any day. At least Episdoe 2 had that dope City segment at the start. And I remember liking Jango vs Obi Wan where as I hated Maul vs the Jedis even as a kid. Episode 1 is so fucking boring. It's as dry as the setting.

Myggen

There`s a decent argument to be made of both episode 1 and 2 being the worst, I wouldn`t say that either would be a wrong answer. I went back and watched episode 1 again recently when drunk and it`s fucking astounding how badly the visuals have aged in that movie.

Watching Game Tapes makes me kinda miss the time when publishers just threw out games left and right and there were like 800 semi-big publishers. Look at all this weird crap. Look at it. I don't know why this makes me nostalgic.

Yeah, it`s pretty crazy. Doesn`t make me nostalgic though, most of that stuff was bad.

it shouldn't. hell, I think a bunch of those games only got to exist because that was when they could still trick people into buying garbage on that level

consumers got better informed along the same time as game production costs rose so you couldn't just spend 6 weeks on a licensed kart racer and hope enough people bought yours instead of the good one

I always felt TPM was worse because I was not expecting it to be bad going in. I was expecting AOTC to be horrible follow up and it lived up to my expectation.

Fantastapotamus

Ep 1 has kid Annakin and Jar Jar and boring ass Qui Gonn and bland Obi Wan.

I'll take Annakin/Padme bullshit over any of those any day. At least Episdoe 2 had that dope City segment at the start. And I remember liking Jango vs Obi Wan where as I hated Maul vs the Jedis even as a kid. Episode 1 is so fucking boring. It's as dry as the setting.

Man, Episode 1 at least looked great when it came out. Episode 2 was sooo much worse.

Yeah, it`s pretty crazy. Doesn`t make me nostalgic though, most of that stuff was bad.

Totally, that's why I like it. I'm weirdly fascinated with this shit. You can just see the "Let's just throw as much shit as possible at the wall" approach there.

I always felt TPM was worse because I was not expecting it to be bad going in. I was expecting AOTC to be horrible follow up and it lived up to my expectation.

That's a good point.

danm999

Episode 2 is easily the worst of the bunch. It's longer, has more false starts, has a terrible love plot, ruins Yoda, my God at least the Phantom Menace moves despite not taking you anywhere you want to go.

Fantastapotamus

Ep 2 was good if the took out all th Padme/Anakin crap and stuck with the Obi Wan plot only.

That's more or less true for the entire prequel trilogy.
Episode 1 wasn't great already but when they introduced young Anakin.....nope.
Let's go back to negotiating the taxation of space trade routes, that was more interesting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I might even say Ep 2 is the best of the prequels. There is nothing worse in that trilogy than Anakin's 'corruption' and that is all over Episode 3.

LiK

That's more or less true for the entire prequel trilogy.
Episode 1 wasn't great already but when they introduced young Anakin.....nope.
Let's go back to negotiating the taxation of space trade routes, that was more interesting.

The fan edits are pretty great. I recommend them.

There`s a decent argument to be made of both episode 1 and 2 being the worst, I wouldn`t say that either would be a wrong answer. I went back and watched episode 1 again recently when drunk and it`s fucking astounding how badly the visuals have aged in that movie.

I often go back and forth, but I'm fairy consistent recently in preferring Episode I over II, because I feel Episode I seemingly has more of a plot and moves better than Episode II. It also has more "rewatchable moments" such as the podrace scene (awesome with a great sound system) and Darth Maul's entrance in the final battle. The Clone Wars stuff in Episode II was awesome at the time, but the fact that some scenes are literally 100% CG and that CG just does not hold up at all, really makes those sequences terrible*. While not part of my criticism of the movies, I think the score to Episode II is also the weakest. It just is not as interesting a listen. The only stand out composition is Across The Stars.

*Just compare The Clone Wars to the Battle of Helm's Deep from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (both came out in 2002). One scene still looks great and its not The Clone Wars.

One fix I would've done that I think would've helped make the prequels (a little better) was to have Darth Maul survive. He would then pop up in Episode II as the main villain, replacing Dooku, and would've been much more menacing and dangerous than Dooku in Episode II. In Episode III, Anakin would've beheaded Maul instead of Dooku. Also, maybe have Anakin already be Obi-Wan's padawan at the start of Episode I with Anakin being a teenager already. That would mean no Qui-Gon unless he could be worked in.

Episode 2 is paced worse and is some of the longest 2.5 hours you could possibly spend in front of a screen

the romance stuff is universally understood as terrible

that awful space diner bullshit

EVERYTHING that takes place on Geonosis

that big jedi fight is a giant clusterfuck

Anakin's stupid grimdark turn and Padummy's immediate forgiveness of it

"deathsticks"

THAT AWFUL YODA FIGHT

fuck episode two and everybody involved with it

at least the Phantom Menace moves despite not taking you anywhere you want to go.

lol

New Hitman episode out tomorrow, really looking forward to the QL!

No, but that doesn`t surprise me.

Yup. Remember hearing about that rumored cameo. Also, Leonardo DiCaprio was offered the role of Anakin, but didn't want to do a big-budget blockbuster so soon after Titanic, which came out 5 years prior to AOTC. Also, I remember hearing rumors that James Van Der Beek was also up for the role.

Fantastapotamus

The weirdest shit in the entire prequel trilogy is still that fucking prophecy thing to me.
Yoda is like "Prophesied it is that balance to the force this kid will bring" or whatever and the all the Jedi are super thrilled by this. Like, don't you assholes not understand what "balance" means? You sit in an ivory tower, being respected by everybody and up til now you thought all the Sith are dead. Why are you super exicted about this?

This drove me insane. It still does. How somebody could write this is impossible to understand for me.
But anyway, are they making a 5th Indiana Jones movie? Is this really happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom