• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what he's saying but asking for nuanced opinions on the internet, whether in discussion or op ed piece, is a fool's game. if somebody presents an argument that lies somewhere between the extremes, it's either ignored or torn apart for not picking a "side."

taking an absolute stand on an issue just prompts other people to do the same and then you get the worst parts of internet discussion...

the problem with democracy of opinion is that the majority of people have bad ones (whether wrong or poorly thought out/not able to be supported), but they overwhelm something that might resemble a "scholarly" argument.

so maybe you write it off as a partial victory in that at least people are having these discussions, even if they're fighting with sticks and rocks when more refined tools would be preferred. or you just get sad and tune everything out because it's exhausting.

Eh, I wouldn't say that it's just the internet, because the internet is basically just... humans.

but non-internet has barriers towards voicing opinions. which is also a double-edged sword, I know. but generally if you're the one who gets published in a paper or magazine or whatever, you probably had to do things to prove that you deserve being listened to. if you're giving a speech at a school, you were probably hand-picked to do so. but somewhere where everybody is on basically a level playing field, there's no real differentiators to the layperson which writer has put thought and reason into their arguments vs who hasn't. every reader has to be their own gatekeeper.

yes, it would be great if people would do research and maybe have some level of authority about the things they write about; it's not going to happen though, and if it did, it wouldn't be the one that gets the most eyes on it.

Did you know you can just skip the basketball games?

1f091205-s.jpg

daydream

Banned
I get what he's saying but asking for nuanced opinions on the internet, whether in discussion or op ed piece, is a fool's game. if somebody presents an argument that lies somewhere between the extremes, it's either ignored or torn apart for not picking a "side."

taking an absolute stand on an issue just prompts other people to do the same and then you get the worst parts of internet discussion...

the problem with democracy of opinion is that the majority of people have bad ones (whether wrong or poorly thought out/not able to be supported), but they overwhelm something that might resemble a "scholarly" argument.

so maybe you write it off as a partial victory in that at least people are having these discussions, even if they're fighting with sticks and rocks when more refined tools would be preferred. or you just get sad and tune everything out because it's exhausting.

not to mention the fact that the same could be said about every "critical piece" (as austin would call it) that he's published online or, more recently, curated. i totally agree that the article is completely insufficient but so are most articles people including austin pay attention to on the internet on a day-to-day basis

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Social media has changed that stuff so much, though. I'm constantly surprised by how many millions of followers certain celebrities have that can sell their brand well. That must be such a weird life. Or about the mechanics of dogpiling we've seen recently, especially around video games. You hear BS that was corrected two years ago come up, because the same old images are still floating around. Some of that is actually new, atleast in dimension and speed.

The internet is really good for someone to build his/her own echochamber without realising it and social media has made that even easier.

Brinbe

Career mode is legit awful, but 2K16 is an amazing game and is probably the best PS Plus title they've released since Rocket League.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
also that article is by Devil Faraci who is really good at that, and generally being a hateful douche.
I don't know him, but there's also the opposite, which is being against whatever is currently happening, too. The GB guys do that from time to time. Which really is its own problem and bubble, but at a certain point you can't dive deep into everything, time is limited. Maybe I should read some of that "fan studies" stuff...

derFeef

Watching DD. Ghostbusters was a good game I thought, I remember enjoying it but never finished it. Opinions I guess, but all three are down on it in the video with me thinking "this looks neat".

Watching DD. Ghostbusters was a good game I thought, I remember enjoying it but never finished it. Opinions I guess, but all three are down on it in the video with me thinking "this looks neat".

That game had some good mechanics that it buried in terrible level design and a poorly executed story. The basic shooting of proton packs is still cool.

LiK

Ben Kuchera seems like a nice guy but I cannot stand anything he writes so I usually avoid his editiorials. The same way I like Justin McElroy but I cannot stand him on Twitter so I unfollowed him years ago.

The Witcher 3 (with it's DLC's and improvements) has 2015's 2016 Game of the Year written all over it, can't wait to hear the opinions about it from the 2-3 duders that put 45 minutes into and then stop!

Teddified

The Witcher 3 (with it's DLC's and improvements) has 2015's 2016 Game of the Year written all over it, can't wait to hear the opinions about it from the 2-3 duders that put 45 minutes into and then stop!

I'll honestly be surprised if any of them(excluding Vinny) ever touch the game again.

LiK

Vinny finished the first DLC and i think he's going all in with the second so we have one duder who will know what he's talking about.

Patryn

Really? I don't see that at all.

From what I've been listening to, it sounds like only Vinny has continued to the end with it.

People just need to accept that Giant Bomb doesn't really do RPGs.

Chill fams, I was just making a joke, I hope to see at least a Vinny helmed playdate of Blood and Wine.

EDIT: I'd rather them not play it than to pull a Gerstmann and read the first paragraph on the games wiki page and make assumptions based on that. :)

Lunar FC

Chill fams, I was just making a joke, I hope to see at least a Vinny helmed playdate of Blood and Wine.

EDIT: I'd rather them not play it than to pull a Gerstmann and read the first paragraph on the games wiki page and make assumptions based on that. :)

Lets get some beef going. Been a few weeks since the last gb gaf civil war.

I thought it was incredibly tedious and the patches of amusing writing didn't make up for my general irritation with the whole thing. I'm so used to people telling me I'm wrong about it that I was surprised that GB agreed with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom