• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvk1

that video is something else, but everyone has their own audience man, live and let live

imagine if two people talked about nothing but Kid Rock during a Forza Horizon 2 QL

yami4ct

I refuse to believe that someone who has been playing games for decades is so inept that they can't figure out Star Fox Zero's controls.

Playing games on video is hard. I don't want to be too critical of people having a hard time playing and talking on a mic about it.

On the other hand, that DOOM video.

mintyice

So random question.

What the heck is Brad putting in his hair these days? Looks good. Doesn't look like hair with a lot of stuff in it.

Gimme them style secrets

Some sort of pomade. I'm guessing American Crew since it's so ubiquitous. I'd go for a Baxter of Calfornia Clay pomade since it holds better.

JonCha

watching Jeff talk about Overwatch on Kinda Funny Gamescast. Overwatch will def be in the top ten. :D

It's increasingly feeling like one of those games that needs to be played this year. It seems to have shaken up the FPS genre completely.

It's increasingly feeling like one of those games that needs to be played this year. It seems to have shaken up the FPS genre completely.

It's less that it's shaken up the genre and more that it applies Blizzard's design principles to it. Stuff like not surfacing a direct k/d ratio and only highlighting good play is a really interesting approach to take.

Yup, that`s the answer he`s given before.

I think that was what he was using during the early days of Brad Stylemaker when he looked he fell out of a 90's Val Kilmer movie.

Maybe he is still doing that or something else.

Oh... I know how to get a answer!

Hey Brad! Nice hair. What you using to style it these days?

It's less that it's shaken up the genre and more that it applies Blizzard's design principles to it. Stuff like not surfacing a direct k/d ratio and only highlighting good play is a really interesting approach to take.

Sometimes it's the little things. Rather than having kills and assists, all who contributed get the kill point. Healers can be players of the game without killing another player.

Teddified

I'll have to catch the stream later as I'm playing the DLC currently and don't wanna stop. Also I want to be at least halfway or done with the DLC before I watch someone play it.

yami4ct

Overwatch isn't really shaking things up, it's just taking a lot of the ideas going around right now in terms of making competitive shooters friendlier and doing a really good job handling those features. Combine that with good character designs and Blizzard's innate popularity and it's not a surprise it took off.

A lot of what Overwatch is doing is a lot like what Splatoon did for Third-Person shooters. It's obviously not directly inspired by it, becasue it's been in development for a lot longer, but it's definitely where the genre is headed in general.

Curufinwe

So random question.

What the heck is Brad putting in his hair these days? Looks good. Doesn't look like hair with a lot of stuff in it.

Gimme them style secrets

Same thing as this guy.

uc4-29-rafe.jpg

Guess Who

Banned

As a giant TF2 fan back in its heyday it's honestly kind of frustrating to me that people see this kind of stuff in Overwatch as revelatory when it takes a lot of it from TF2. Like, Austin and some other folks on my Twitter feed were talking earlier about how Overwatch de-emphasizes hitscan weapons, and the good hitscan weapons have drawbacks, and there's damage falloff, and spacing between opponents is important, and I'm just sitting here thinking "TF2 did literally all of this years ago!"

Don't mind me, old man yelling at cloud.

so uh, what's happening? the usual BEAST technical difficulties?

shiny llama's point still stands though. TF2 still had a scoreboard. the obscuring of all points and whatnot in favor of a more holistic "here's what you guys did well" is kind of a fresh take in a genre without many fresh takes.

yami4ct

don't mistake disinterest or bewilderment for anger. I find them puzzling and sometimes bad, but they don't make me angry.

It's fun to poke at them, but I don't really care that they publish stuff I consider dumb. The only thing that even makes me slightly perturbed about them is that I think they're wasting some real talent they have on staff.

don't mistake disinterest or bewilderment for anger. I find them puzzling and sometimes bad, but they don't make me angry.

I don't follow Polygon but I'm totally cool with their output. I would rather the odd outlandish Polygon video than the million people lining up to call them pretentious because it's not "about the gameplay" or ready to make bad jokes about english lit students.

mintyice

As a giant TF2 fan back in its heyday it's honestly kind of frustrating to me that people see this kind of stuff in Overwatch as a revelatory when it takes a lot of it from TF2. Like, Austin and some other folks on my Twitter feed were talking earlier about how Overwatch de-emphasizes hitscan weapons, and the good hitscan weapons have drawbacks, and there's damage falloff, and spacing between opponents is important, and I'm just sitting here thinking "TF2 did literally all of this years ago!"

Nah I totally agree. I was saying the same thing a few weeks ago. Overwatch just does it so well though.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
As a giant TF2 fan back in its heyday it's honestly kind of frustrating to me that people see this kind of stuff in Overwatch as a revelatory when it takes a lot of it from TF2. Like, Austin and some other folks on my Twitter feed were talking earlier about how Overwatch de-emphasizes hitscan weapons, and the good hitscan weapons have drawbacks, and there's damage falloff, and spacing between opponents is important, and I'm just sitting here thinking "TF2 did literally all of this years ago!"

Same, but it's kinda Valve's fault for really not having a team invested in updating TF2. Horizontal management strikes again.

Guess Who

Banned
shiny llama's point still stands though. TF2 still had a scoreboard. the obscuring of all points and whatnot in favor of a more holistic "here's what you guys did well" is kind of a fresh take in a genre without many fresh takes.

The TF2 scoreboard didn't show kills or KDR, though. (Well, it shows your own kills, but not others'.) You get points for teleporting teammates, or extinguishing fire on teammates, or healing, etc. etc., so it awards you for all kinds of positive teamwork and de-emphasizes kills.

I just messed with the update over lunch and the UI stuff is much better organized. The one thing I would do though is move bombs and potions to the first or second tab.

yami4ct

Same, but it's kinda Valve's fault for really not having a team invested in updating TF2. Horizontal management strikes again.

I don't think Valve could've made TF2 into Overwatch without alienating their current player base. They make so much money on that thing, there's no real point in making massive changes to attract new people.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I don't think Valve could've made TF2 into Overwatch without alienating their current player base. They make so much money on that thing, there's no real point in making massive changes to attract new people.

At that point it would be TF3. The game and Source is just so old, but there are many tweaks and issues they could have fixed to keep it fresh for the userbase.

I have the smallest nit pick about the new 1.21 update for The Witcher 3, I wish the new non-auto centering camera had a option to turn on auto center when on Roach, trying to control the camera and hold A is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom