• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I still crack up at this video existing

not that I don't think people can have these kinds of opinions, but it's like

giphy.gif

...especially when it's your video game outlet's only coverage of a game

Oh god.

Kill meeeeeeeeeeeeee.

yami4ct

That fandom article seems fine in broad strokes, but it's hard to take anything Devin Faraci writes about internet discourse seriously. That man is very much part of the problem.

The whole 'git gud' thing is debatable - but he's spot on about this industry's incessant woe-is-me navel gazing.

The whole complaining about the dumb 'git gud' meme recently has been weird to me. Is it shitty and reductive, sure. It absolutely is. Is it a universally invalid response to criticism? No. There are absolutely mechanics and balance things around a game that can frustrate at low levels, but make sense at high. That doesn't absolve those ideas from criticism, but it's also why you need a variety of voices in the industry putting opinions out there.

It's a shitty way to deliver that message that lacks nuance, but it's the internet. Trying to paint that specific criticism as some sort of bane on gaming discussion feels like a bunch of people who are very self-conscious about how capable they are at their jobs.

Listening to the 2014 GOTY podcasts... What exactly is Velvet Sundown? I've been trying to figure it out based solely on the discussions, and I'm completely lost.

kvk1

if you're gonna watch the Velvet Sundown QLs, and you SHOULD, do not read the video comments

here or on the site

there are some nifty twists in it

JonCha

Listening to Jeff on the Kinda Funny video he retweeted and I find it really interesting to listen to his views on E3 given his long history with the show. As someone who grew up wanting to go to the show a LOT - though I couldn't really care now - it's interesting to see how it used to be presented.

yami4ct

Witcher fans are going to Undertale the new DLC so hard that Vinny is the only one who plays it.

I'll probably be part of the problem.

Peru

This dude is really up his own ass. Talk about the game. What the fuck.

Hmm. I don't think the video is any good but I say yes, please, give us more videogame journalism that doesn't just "talk about the game". ANY critical attempt, good or bad, at disrupting the same old stale conversations is a good one.

That fandom article seems fine in broad strokes, but it's hard to take anything Devin Faraci writes about internet discourse seriously. That man is very much part of the problem.

The whole complaining about the dumb 'git gud' meme recently has been weird to me. Is it shitty and reductive, sure. It absolutely is. Is it a universally invalid response to criticism? No. There are absolutely mechanics and balance things around a game that can frustrate at low levels, but make sense at high. That doesn't absolve those ideas from criticism, but it's also why you need a variety of voices in the industry putting opinions out there.

It's a shitty way to deliver that message that lacks nuance, but it's the internet. Trying to paint that specific criticism as some sort of bane on gaming discussion feels like a bunch of people who are very self-conscious about how capable they are at their jobs.

Git gud is wobderful advice but a shitty insult.

Its also both a get-out-of-responsibility card by those whove stuck their scrubby feet in their mouths and got called out on it and eerily like "pc master race" in that wonderful artificial indignation way.

Witcher fans are going to Undertale the new DLC so hard that Vinny is the only one who plays it.

To be fair that was always going to be the case. Alex and Austin are the only ones who've expressed any interest in going back since GOTY and even then they've said that it probably won't happen.

But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they get told they need to go back and play this dlc as I'm pretty sure that happens with Hearts of Stone.

What other games have made it to that Undertale level that makes the GB crew not want to play them? I feel like The Last of Us was one of those

I finished Uncharted 4 this weekend it was wonderful. I think it surpassed Uncharted 3 as my series favorite. I don't want to get into spoilers, but I'm going to play it again and attempt to get all of the journal entries and notes.

In the end, I was really satisfied with how the game ended, but I'm also pretty sad that there aren't going to be any other games that tackle the subject of archaeology and history in an Indiana Jones sorta way. The first Tomb Raider game didn't really scratch that itch, but I'm hoping that Rise of the Tomb Raider does it a bit better.

So random question.

What the heck is Brad putting in his hair these days? Looks good. Doesn't look like hair with a lot of stuff in it.

Gimme them style secrets

yami4ct

i think your campaigning has little to do with the fact most of them don't wanna play more witcher 3

I actually probably won't be telling the rest of the crew to play it, as that's already never going to happen.

I probably will talk about it too much in this thread, though.

Zaph

Listening to Jeff on the Kinda Funny video he retweeted and I find it really interesting to listen to his views on E3 given his long history with the show. As someone who grew up wanting to go to the show a LOT - though I couldn't really care now - it's interesting to see how it used to be presented.

I always kinda wanted to see the all the bullshit in Kentia Hall, but since that's gone, so did all desire to ever attend E3 (or any game expo thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom