• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
it doesn't I can agree with you on that, but it's nothing to get worked up about unless you really want to get mad at something IMO

It's just kind of a bummer when the rest of the game is so nice about representation. Like, there's an autistic Indian woman in a AAA video game? Goddamn.

But then you have these glaringly shitty skins bringing it down.

I think that emailer was too sensitive. It's def nothing to get worked up about.

I haven't listened to it, but that seems a bit silly. I think they actually do a pretty cool job of representing a bunch of cultures and varied body types, especially in their silly cartoon world. Anecdotal, but I have a (woman) friend who's got a kind of sturdy/muscular build and thinks it's great that Zarya's in it, especially since people aren't usually super chill about ladies with bodies like that.

Are the people being worried about these skins on the outside looking in? Should we be more worried about appropriation (please) than inclusion? Is a representation inherently bad because it's exaggerated like everything else in its universe?

I haven't listened to it, but that seems a bit silly. I think they actually do a pretty cool job of representing a bunch of cultures and varied body types, especially in their silly cartoon world. Anecdotal, but I have a (woman) friend who's got a kind of sturdy/muscular build and thinks it's great that Zarya's in it, especially since people aren't usually super chill about ladies with bodies like that.

Are the people being worried about these skins on the outside looking in? Should we be more worried about appropriation (please) than inclusion? Is a representation inherently bad because it's exaggerated like everything else in its universe?

A lot of the places that I've seen cries of cultural appropriation coming from have also been overjoyed about the (contextualised, well-threaded) inclusiveness. So, you know, it's nuanced. Overall the game is mightily progressive but it's open to critique. Its flaws are too minor to negate its successes, but they're still there.

imBask

Banned
A lot of the places that I've seen cries of cultural appropriation coming from have also been overjoyed about the (contextualised, well-threaded) inclusiveness. So, you know, it's nuanced. Overall the game is mightily progressive but it's open to critique. Its flaws are too minor to negate its successes, but they're still there.

I guess. I'll listen to it during the weekend, it really depends on what the email was about, I have a hard time with people who take every single piece of traditional clothing in a negative way, as if all of tradition was insulting

LiK

The emailer was reasonable and explained his position very thoughtfully. It's not that bad but I think being offended or looking into the intent of the costume is a bit much. They're just alt looks for your characters. No different than cosplay for me.

imBask

Banned
The emailer was reasonable and explained his position very thoughtfully. It's not that bad but I think being offended or looking into the intent of the costume is a bit much. They're just alt looks for your characters. No different than cosplay for me.

people get offended at cosplay all the time

Zaph

Mr "Oh, this is my jam!" grates me each time I hear it, but they've put so much work into their character variety that it's earned them a pass.

Tracer's VO actor should never work in the industry again though.

demidar

Mr "Oh, this is my jam!" grates me each time I hear it, but they've put so much work into their character variety that it's earned them a pass.

I've got "You eva' get that feeling of deja vu?" as her taunt.

OH MY GOD I HATE TRACER SO MUCH. Like, can we get away from those British stereotypes. Please. PLEASE.

sucks that she's so fun to play

Has there been any mention of which coast is doing the Mirror's Edge stream today? It seems like both coasts don't remember the original game very well.

My own opinion is that the game seems to suffer from Ubisoftification and misses everything that made the original fun.

Beast are doing the ME stream.

Does it hit close to home? I forget if you're British.

Now, it's not offensive because like, come on, I'm British, no-one would take it seriously even if I was (also I'm not Cockney)

but

it's sort of just annoying. Like I think I could forgive it without the CHEERIOs and that cavalry line. Like, yeah, cool, great. She's British. She's Cockney. Sweet. Pat yourself on the back!

daydream

Banned
can you guys enumerate the british stereotypes for me? obviously the accent is exaggerated but i didn't notice anything else

edit: ah i haven't heard the 'cheerio' line, yet

OH MY GOD I HATE TRACER SO MUCH. Like, can we get away from those British stereotypes. Please. PLEASE.

sucks that she's so fun to play

It's a known fact that we all talk like Oliver Twist cast members or the queen Hot Coldman. To be honest I think a lot of the Overwatch cast use the same level of cultural tact as the WWE does with their foreign wrestler gimmicks.

can you guys enumerate the british stereotypes for me? obviously the accent is exaggerated but i didn't notice anything else

edit: ah i haven't heard the 'cheerio' line, yet

I might have made that one up. I don't think I did? Either way, "exaggerated" is putting her accent lightly

daydream

Banned
I kind of like Tracer's voice acting and dialogue, am I a bad person?

i kinda like it, too

she's fucking annoying to play against so her lines are appropriately infuriating

I might have made that one up. I don't think I did? Either way, "exaggerated" is putting her accent lightly

i feel like there's a difference between exaggerating it and drawing attention to it in a way that would turn it into parody

mercy's german accent, for example, is also pretty 'idealised', so-to-speak, but she does have a good amount of german lines, as well, that more than balance it out. i guess tracer and whoever the (us) american character is don't have that split

LiK

I usually love British accents but I agree that Tracer's VO is pretty annoying in the game. Something about the way she reads the lines.

Zaph

I'm from east London. Nobody, not even a dyed-in-the-wool cockney at a Sunday market, is that exaggerated.

How was Danny's stream this morning? He talk about anything interesting? Or just more Overwatch?

Some Overwatch at the beginning. Then E3 plans (they're driving down next Saturday). Some thoughts about more in-depth game coverage he'd like to do (and criticism of others who've tried, but asked too much from the audience or taken too long).

Also, fun CBSi-gonna-CBSi fact - a few years back when Danny and another GS guy talked over the Sony conference (I watched it, was pretty good) they were told not to do it again by 'higher ups' because they didn't like the chat's reaction. Danny explained the audience hasn't had a chance to get they were going for a Eurovision-style vibe, but it didn't matter. A couple years later and everyone is doing sarcastic E3 talk-overs.

If Tracer is the stereotype equivalent of McCree, then I can kind of see the issue, but McCree to my ears is such a cartoon character that the exaggeration is expected. Maybe if I was a Texan, he'd annoy me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom