• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

I really, truly wish I gave enough mind to portables to give a shit about new FE games and Bravely Default and whatnot.

I just don't have the time.

I will take the 3DS' lineup over 90% of home consoles out there. I play that more than any of my consoles honestly. Portables are also great for multitasking.

I don't use my portables as much for their intended experience, but I love them for around the house and actual library trumps all in my book.

game's shitty writing has killed my motivation despite it objectively being the best-designed fire emblem i've ever played

and i'm playing birthright widely considered the better of the three stories!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggh why nintendo why

FE has always been pretty bad, honestly. I found both the bad writing of Birthright and Conquest to be at least more coherent than Awakening. You don't go to those games for the writing. You go for the fun character moments and gameplay.

Joeku

I will take the 3DS' lineup over 90% of home consoles out there. I play that more than any of my consoles honestly. Portables are also great for multitasking.

I don't use my portables as much for their intended experience, but I love them for around the house and actual library trumps all in my book.

Like, I want to say "that's awesome!" but I got my JRPG fill out of the Bravely Default demo and despite buying the full game, haven't put a second into it. I think the pacing of these games just does me in now.

Maybe I need to get more into audiobooks.

yami4ct

Like, I want to say "that's awesome!" but I got my JRPG fill out of the Bravely Default demo and despite buying the full game, haven't put a second into it. I think the pacing of these games just does me in now.

Maybe I need to get more into audiobooks.

I'm a huge JRPG lover and I admit the pacing of the games in the genre are mostly mediocre to bad. I also don't think there's much to really love about BD besides the art direction and cool battle system. It's a totally skippable experience.

Fire Emblem is different, to me anyway. The pacing of the narrative is rough, but that's not what you're there for. After you get out of the tutorial chapters (a couple hours at the very, very most), those games are amazing all the way through.

Even the best examples I can come up with in the JRPG genre aren't going to be for everyone, and that's totally OK. I fucking adore the Trails games, but they are absolutely slow as molasses and if you don't get something out of reading every newspaper or talking to random townsfolk, they aren't for you. A similar thing for Persona 4. That's my all time favorite game, but if you don't want to just spend time with those characters than it won't stick for you.

On the sort of opposite end, I love the Tales games. The problem there is if you don't enjoy fun, but very tropey, anime characters and plot, the amazing battle systems probably won't justify the game to you.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What the hell happened to Stardew Valley?

That OT went to Community and hasn't been touched in weeks.
That is the community curse in effect. That and it's past its expiration date for the game world. It's basically an elder in game time.

Joeku

I'm a huge JRPG lover and I admit the pacing of the games in the genre are mostly mediocre to bad. I also don't think there's much to really love about BD besides the art direction and cool battle system. It's a totally skippable experience.

Fire Emblem is different, to me anyway. The pacing of the narrative is rough, but that's not what you're there for. After you get out of the tutorial chapters (a couple hours at the very, very most), those games are amazing all the way through.

Even with FE Awakening, I got like three or four missions in and just...stopped, despite me remembering enjoying it.. I think CoD and the half-dozen hour games of the last decade ruined me to slower games.

That is the community curse in effect. That and it's past its expiration date for the game world. It's basically an elder in game time.

Fair, just seemed to burn really bright for a month or so. Wonder if it makes it at all to end of year discussions.

FWIW, steamcharts says it peaked at like 64k, currently hovers around 6k. Chart is a side view of a mogul course.

yami4ct

Even with FE Awakening, I got like three or four missions in and just...stopped, despite me remembering enjoying it.. I think CoD and the half-dozen hour games of the last decade ruined me to slower games.

I'm the opposite. I've moved away from the shorter and action packed experiences like Gears, CoD, DOOM, etc. I just want to spend time and to escape into the same game for a few weeks at a time. There's an amazing joy from really learning the mechanics of a dense game or just really digging into the world of a larger RPG. I don't get that from chewing through a dozen shorter games. They all become disposable experiences.

All my time has gone into SFV and FE for stuff released this year. Nothing so far otherwise has really grabbed me in the first half of the year, though im definitely looking forward to revelator tomorrow after playing a bunch of the demo!

Tried to give W3 a go to see if I could make it to the DLCs, but made it through most of the Bloody Baron quest before I just got super bored and quit.

Fair, just seemed to burn really bright for a month or so. Wonder if it makes it at all to end of year discussions.

FWIW, steamcharts says it peaked at like 64k, currently hovers around 6k. Chart is a side view of a mogul course.

Dan adores it, not sure anyone on staff has played much of it or cares as much about it as Dan does.

FWIW, steamcharts says it peaked at like 64k, currently hovers around 6k.
The hype has died down a bit, but when it goes on sale the passion will reignite.

SV is the kind of game that will reach fever pitch every time it goes on sale. You can only play so much of it, but that fun never fades.

Speaking of, I'm really excited to see how Stardew Valley does for end-of-year stuff. I imagine it will get a lot of nods. It's been a great adventure in Indie Games That Could™.

Tried to give W3 a go to see if I could make it to the DLCs, but made it through most of the Bloody Baron quest before I just got super bored and quit.

The Giant Bomb effect.

I could see Dan championing it, I don't think anyone else has touched it. a

Oh my god

so the 'tick on your cock' talk from teh beastcast this week

I'm rewatching MGSCanlon 3, and in part 3, 26:25 minutes, Dan mentions he had a tick on his balls once

Dan>GiantBomb>Dan

Jintor

I'm just sad I'll never have my mind blown again like when I first played FE7 and thought the prologue was actually the entire game... and then after beating the prologue, WOAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Salarians

made it through most of the Bloody Baron quest before I just got super bored and quit
I put 60 hours into Destiny and enjoyed it
tumblr_nlbwqiY6Pi1u5eu8ao1_250.gif

Reading that other thread, I forgot to mention how glad I am that GB doesn't bend to hype machine the way some idiots criticize them for. I really can't imagine just wanting journalists to be point blank excited for everything at all times. Bleh.

I think Mighty No 9 is a perfect example of unfounded hype that only creates greater disappointment.
Shenmue 3 is undoubtedly going to go a similar route.

Yes, it's my favorite thing about the crew even way back in the GS days they were always genuine with their emotions. Nothing is ever played up and not that I find anything wrong with that, I just enjoy when people be themselves.

I'm sure that fan youtube site will upload them once saga is complete.

As always.

i know this is only tangentially giant bomb related but im still surprised and amazed by these sherlock holmes games, look at this baller ass boxart

holmes dont give a FUUUUUUUUUCK

I got the game before this one on Xbox One for free but haven't played it. It's weird that I'm hearing alright things about it but I'll try it ater in the summer. Probably when I'm done with Mirror's Edge.

Yo, just finished DOOM.

Holy fuck.

DOOM-GIF-09.gif

I hope a sequel is announced as soon as possible.

goty so far
Superhot
Doom
Quantum Break

or list of games released this year that I've played

I'd add Enter The Gungeon, The Witness, UC4, Stardew Valley and we'll how the rest of the year pans out.

What the hell happened to Stardew Valley?

That OT went to Community and hasn't been touched in weeks.

Well, once you hit community you're pretty much gone except for the people who are really into the game. However, I feel SV is a game that people will revisit alot in the future, especially in the summer when things are quiet when it comes to gaming. I myself am going back to it and to other games I haven't completed.

Joeku

DOOM-GIF-09.gif

I hope a sequel is announced as soon as possible.

I'd add Enter The Gungeon, The Witness, UC4, Stardew Valley and we'll how the rest of the year pans out.

You are a good man.

Through the latter half of DOOM, I had the Stagger=glory kill, faster glory kill, and long distance glory kill runes equipped. Rip and tear has never felt more truthful.

Mick Gordon is fucking awesome. Killer Instinct, Wolfenstein, DOOM...homie is the metal Jesper Kyd.

Joeku

Really need to play Enter The Gungeon one day. The Nuclear Throne comparisons initially turned me off it.

It's a little more deliberate than Nuclear Throne. It works well.

Edit: Now that I've looked it up, I'm so glad "Rip and Tear" was from a 1996 comic. Twenty years later, DOOM has come home.

Eight years later, still mind boggling the direction they went with Days of Ruin.

Wait, has it really been eight years since the last Advance Wars...

Draxyle

Neo Member
Reading that other thread, I forgot to mention how glad I am that GB doesn't bend to hype machine the way some idiots criticize them for. I really can't imagine just wanting journalists to be point blank excited for everything at all times. Bleh.

I think Mighty No 9 is a perfect example of unfounded hype that only creates greater disappointment.
Shenmue 3 is undoubtedly going to go a similar route.

I've been binge watching the first few years of the bombcast for the first time, and it's been a constantly re-occurring lesson that "hype is dangerous". I love GB for the fact that they treat everything with a healthy amount of skepticism (though they were fairly optimistic for Gameroom, that was amusing).

Wunder

I never played the game but I always loved the character designs. If they ever revive the series, I will be very disappointed when they inevitably use a different artist.

which advance wars was this, the first one? I don't remember half of these characters

Jintor

that's advance wars 2 (you fools!)

man i was so hype in advance wars 3 when you can buy costumes from the shop. they don't do anything. they literally just change the portrait when you use supers or whatever. but those alt costumes were SO COOL

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What's the corrections email for the beastcast?

Just want to let them know that there are indeed maoris in australia.

Though whether if roadhog is actually maori, that I still can't really judge.

Joeku

What's the corrections email for the beastcast?

Just want to let them know that there are indeed maoris in australia.

Though whether if roadhog is actually maori, that I still can't really judge.

His backstory seems to indicate he probably is, though I honestly don't know if his skin tone is accurate to any maori people, cuz I'm literally from across the world from Australia.

Also, I'd love if an expansion hero is genuinely First Nations/Native American, given what they're going for with those Pharah skins. Give me someone someone Squamish or Cree or Metis and I'd be a happy Canadian camper.

And despite all the deserved crap they get, Ubisoft is the only publisher to put a Native American as a main character in a AAA blockbuster game. So good on them for AC3.

And I guess Prey counts there too...?

Would play another Advance Wars in a heartbeat.

It's felt like Intelligent Systems haven't been given much freedom outside FE for a while.

Xbox One Mirror's Edge looks like ABSOLUTE shit. What resolution is that running at?

- Xbox One runs at 720p, PS4 at 900p. But the PS4 version (wich i'm playing) doesn't look good either. It does feel like an early gen game, with muddy textures everywhere and buildings looking like just white boxes with almost no detail. It's a blurry game. I was really expecting more from DICE with the Frostbite.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look good on consoles, period.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The only games I really enjoyed so far were Superhot, XCom 2, Doom and Hitman.
Haven't played B&W yet cause I'm waiting for my new CPU and while I did enjoy a lot of the Witness the last few puzzles really soured me on the game as a whole.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Superhot, Stardew Valley, American Truck Simulator, Doom, Overwatch, Hitman, Ratchet& Clank

lots of good stuff this year. I even liked The Division

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom