• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one kinda confused about Jeff's hostility towards Street Fighter V? Like...What the fuck does he care about a proper tutorial or story mode? He only plays these games online and he admits it's a fantastic fighting game.

it's because the game didn't release under the Early Access program and should've launched with that shit if it intended to ever have them

Am I the only one kinda confused about Jeff's hostility towards Street Fighter V? Like...What the fuck does he care about a proper tutorial or story mode? He only plays these games online and he admits it's a fantastic fighting game.

Because those are things a fighting game should have at launch and not just the barebones shit at full price?

jgminto

Alex mentioned it on the Bombcast but Remember Me's world is so much more interesting and fleshed out than Mirror's Edge. You actually experience the realities of its dystopia instead of "idk flat colours and highrises".

pizzacat

Banned
Honest question because I haven't played either game, what's the difference between Overwatch and SF V?
People don't like fighting games and don't want to admit it.

Also SFV launched with a season pass that has been useless, too early and had problems that were highlighted since the betas. Beta characters were turning into boring husks of their previous versions. Like vanilla SFV ryu is good but beta 1 ryu was doing stuff that is fucking insane, linking moves after his overhead, instant stun projectiles with v trigger

Overwatch had mei really bad and they buffed her and they continued to fix their games, they're promising new content which is free but they're not setting up an impossible roadmap. Also they're in contact with their players way better, we've heard more balance changes and future changes coming from blizzard in 2 weeks than what we've heard of capcom in 3 months

I don't really play ranked anymore but BL works great against friends, use lan cables when you're playing fg guys pls

Man... I let my premium sub lapse for a day and suddenly they spring a Total Warhammer video on me.

wtf Giant Bomb.
Alex mentioned it on the Bombcast but Remember Me's world is so much more interesting and fleshed out than Mirror's Edge. You actually experience the realities of its dystopia instead of "idk flat colours and highrises".

Remember Me has legit amazing world/environment design. It's one of the only games I wandered around looking at the scenery, really trying to take it in. It's clear they put a lot of effort into making a believable world, with a history and everything.

I ended up liking RM way more than I ever would've guessed. Only got it from a bundle... would've written it off Just Another Mediocre Title from what I saw of the QL.

Honest question because I haven't played either game, what's the difference between Overwatch and SF V?
One is the second coming of the Hero Shooter, and the other is the 20th-ish rendition of a hit fighting game.

Also, lootboxes. Just imagine if SFV had them--there would be hell to pay.

Salarians

Remember Me has its issues, sure, but the world, the art direction, and the visual quality (especially on consoles) are all fantastic. The lighting, the reflections, Nilin's natural looking hair animations (compete with actual wet looking hair that sticks to her forehead), the physicality based rendering* (on PS3 and 360!)... barring some crummy textures, it's an incredible looking game.

Anyone with even a passing interest in game graphical tech should read these articles. DONTNOD staff are wizards.

* I actually don't know if this is "true" PBR or if they're using a PBR-like system (I'm a layman), but it's still very impressive, especially for the studio's first game

One's a shooter and the other is a fighting game.

Is SF still a broken mess?

A poorly communicated mess, but not a broken one.

It's the fact that it gets it so right at being a fighting game, but lacks the proper modes that modern fighters should be pushing for which pisses Jeff off. As much as I love the genre, the devs that make them continue to keep fucking up in some department that really holds the genre back.

"I was watching horse racing drunk one night, as you do, and we saw a horse named Slim Shady fuckin’ rear up and fuckin’ just kick somebody fuckin’ so hard! And I was like, ‘Perfect! This is the best time I’ve ever had!’"

I mean everything he said is kinda true. It's a fantastic game that is mired in a lot of bullshit that is pretty much going to kill any chance it has at mainstream acceptance.

He's been very balanced about it and talking real negative facts not wierd excuses bullshit that overshadows those.

People don't like fighting games and don't want to admit it.

Also SFV launched with a season pass that has been useless, too early and had problems that were highlighted since the betas. Beta characters were turning into boring husks of their previous versions. Like vanilla SFV ryu is good but beta 1 ryu was doing stuff that is fucking insane, linking moves after his overhead, instant stun projectiles with v trigger

Overwatch had mei really bad and they buffed her and they continued to fix their games, they're promising new content which is free but they're not setting up an impossible roadmap. Also they're in contact with their players way better, we've heard more balance changes and future changes coming from blizzard in 2 weeks than what we've heard of capcom in 3 months

I don't really play ranked anymore but BL works great against friends, use lan cables when you're playing fg guys pls

After a month. SF V has delivered far more INTENSITY for those people than KI3 or any other more fully-featured game ever could! :p

FStop7

Banned
LOL, I instantly recognized the place in this week's Bombcast thumbail. I think everyone stops there when making the Socal/Norcal run on the 5.

I tried Doom 3 for the first time in earnest before playing the new Doom and I still don't understand how an entire team of game developers interpreted Doom as a horror franchise for some reason.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Another thing in TF2's favor, and maybe it's the shitty twitch streamer mentality around it, but holy shit Overwatch's community is 10x more toxic than TF2's ever was

Weetrick

Another thing in TF2's favor, and maybe it's the shitty twitch streamer mentality around it, but holy shit Overwatch's community is 10x more toxic than TF2's ever was

In game or on forums? I haven't seen much toxic stuff in game chat, but maybe I'm just not paying attention.

In what way? In my 15-20 hours of Overwatch I've seen people be shitty in chat maybe twice.

Outside the game it's just a case of being released in 2007 vs. being released in 2016, the internet just keeps getting worse every day. Not an excuse, but an explanation.

Doop

In game or on forums? I haven't seen much toxic stuff in game chat, but maybe I'm just not paying attention.

I think the community outside of the game is pretty good, but the rare times I see someone chat other than "gg" or "wp", it's someone being a dickhead. Maybe I just get matched with shitty people.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In what way? In my 15-20 hours of Overwatch I've seen people be shitty in chat maybe twice.

Outside the game it's just a case of being released in 2007 vs. being released in 2016, the internet just keeps getting worse every day. Not an excuse, but an explanation.

Oh man, like every POTG. 'McCree/Bastion/Hanzo/Widowmaker/Sentry scrub' or snipers on offense saying they were why the team won.

POTG is like a salt mine factory. It's a terrible implementation ,and I don't know what blizzard was thinking adding it if they want to encourage teamwork.

Oh man, like every POTG. 'McCree/Bastion/Hanzo/Widowmaker/Sentry scrub' or snipers on offense saying they were why the team won.

POTG is like a salt mine factory. It's a terrible implementation ,and I don't know what blizzard was thinking adding it if they want to encourage teamwork.

It's just a cool little thing. It's a highlight. And everyone loves being salty at highlights. 'You call that a catch? What a terrible quarterback!' etc.

Yeah, I never see anything like that. Mainly just confusion when it's someone killing one enemy (ult interrupts seem to be considered big) or something dumb like that.

(This is on EU/PC if it matters)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Australian servers are pretty chill. Had a game where everyone decided to go full zenyatta or full reinhardt on both sides which were a riot.

Australian servers have been 95% okay, 5% dimwit blaming his team/getting mad salt.

This has been roughly my experience on PC, Americas server. A lot of people are quiet or cordial, some are very friendly, and there's maybe a person or two every few matches that's vividly salty and/or abusive. I don't play for long strentches though, so maybe I'm avoiding the bad folk somehow.

I've actually had a lot of fun with the pug community overall. Losses are pretty demoralising though, I know this from experience.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Australian servers have been 95% okay, 5% dimwit blaming his team/getting mad salt.

I always tend to have better experience with Australian players on games like WoW too. Obviously there's a shit or two, but it's not as prevalent. From my experience playing on Oceanic servers

unfortunately, internet ping is still at such a point that it's not very desirable to play a quick paced game like that.
people used to get whiny about TF2 servers as well but they were mostly americans. Internode TF2 servers and the like were almost always chill.

I feel like 99% of anyone complaining about TF2 servers were CTF servers, tbh. All the scum was secluded to 2fort.

demidar

I always tend to have better experience with Australian players on games like WoW too. Obviously there's a shit or two, but it's not as prevalent. From my experience playing on Oceanic servers

unfortunately, internet ping is still at such a point that it's not very desirable to play a quick paced game like that.

Yeah I'd like to play with my American peeps but the lag would be damn bad.

I guess I could just pick a character who doesn't have to aim like Winston or Symmetra.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Why is australia even grouped in the americas anyway?

It's like we get roped into both eurovision and the asia cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom