• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
MPP!

M5PQAhO.png

kkKv95p.gif

---

pIPafxF.png

Going to catch VRodeo later today, been busy playing UC4 since yesterday. A damn good game.

daydream

Banned
mp6 actually has a bunch of purely luck-dependent minigames (as in, you just pick one option out of three and randomly win or lose) so that should be fun

also, yeah, the mic games are something

I'm coming in against Gungeon now. It's a fine game with solid mechanics but there are just so many little things bothering me about it that make me want to throw my television out the window when I play it.

mp6 actually has a bunch of purely luck-dependent minigames (as in, you just pick one option out of three and randomly win or lose) so that should be fun

also, yeah, the mic games are something

6 is such a shitshow. it almost tricks you because from outward appearances it looks like it might have been made well but actually playing it reveals the ugly truth

Having just caught up on the CRPG revolution over the last few years everybody should play Pillars of Eternity and Dragonfall. Both games are utterly amazing and will no doubt go up for sale on steam for pennies.

Reading some of that old Usenet stuff and this is still the best.

Gerstmann is so pro-N64 that it isn't even remotely funny. His
agenda is almost as inflated as his ego. I consider anything written by
him to be immediately discountable.

Are you Waymore into the N64 than he is?
Now I remembered that my sister took my N64 when she went to college and I don't think she even has it anymore.

That reminds me of when we let a cousin borrow some NES games. Never saw them again. If I recall, they were Super Mario Bros. III, Excitebike, Top Gun, Marble Madness, among others. Just glad we didn't lend our whole NES library.

yami4ct

That's a wrap on my Fire Emblem Conquest Classic/Hard No Deaths run. That's a game that really showed me how bad I've gotten at FE in the years Sacred Stone and how bad Awakening let me play. Took me a whopping 131 hours to finish, but that's with slow reading and a significant amount of support grinding.

Conquest is easily my favorite Fire Emblem game of all time and, by extension, the best strategy game I've ever played. I think I can say that now. It's a masterclass in game design. The way that game is balanced on both a micro and macro level is so fantastically well done. Everything just feels tightly designed from the individual classes, to the maps to the way the maps flow from one to another to really test your army. There's such a fantastic attention to detail. It's an incredibly unforgiving, but also very fair game. Yes, there are times the RNG can screw you, but 90% of the time, the fact you're relying on the RNG means you screwed up elsewhere. It's a game that actively forced me to be a better player to continue and it's honestly one of the few modern strategy games to really do that. There's definitely a fantastic article to be written about the intricacies of how well this game is balanced and I hope I see it written someday. I'm certain there's a million little touches I'm missing.

I guess Intelligent Systems have proved they really still have it after the slight disappointment of Awakening and the mess that was Codename STEAM. Conquest has been one of my favorite gaming experiences in the modern era and I really, really hope we can get more FE campaigns like it. Since the split release strategy has been really successful for them, here's hoping they adopt it for Fire Emblem 15 as well.

hamchan

I think Jeff will hate Uncharted 4 based on how slow of a burn the game seems to be in the first few hours with most of it being platforming and talking.

yami4ct

with fates being such a big success, they can finally get back to what matters now

advance wars

Advanced Wars is great and I wouldn't necessarily be against another one, but it was already sort of FE-lite. The lack of permanent death and the fact individual units don't matter made all those games brute force-able in a sense. I don't think IS could make an AW game as tactically satisfying as Conquest simply because the base ruleset is pretty forgiving. That difference has its charms as well, and you can certainly make a fun game there as they have, but they kind of have the majority of the market for that game covered with their easier FEs.

daydream

Banned
Advanced Wars is great and I wouldn't necessarily be against another one, but it was already sort of FE-lite. The lack of permanent death and the fact individual units don't matter made all those games brute force-able in a sense. I don't think IS could make an AW game as tactically satisfying as Conquest simply because the base ruleset is pretty forgiving. That difference has its charms as well, and you can certainly make a fun game there as they have, but they kind of have the majority of the market for that game covered with their easier FEs.

it's a puzzle game with strategy elements, barely any relation to fe, let alone fe-lite. it's completely different on every front

also, you can straight up grind in fe, that's the definition of brute-forcing it

yami4ct

it's a puzzle game with strategy elements, barely any relation to fe, let alone fe-lite. it's completely different on every front

also, you can straight up grind in fe, that's the definition of brute-forcing it

Not in Conquest you can't. No grinding maps unless you buy the DLC. Traditional FE doesn't have grinding. That was added when IS started going a bit soft with Sacred Stones and they really leaned into it with Awakening.

The routes meant for more casual play still have it, but Conquest is back to EXP being a limited resource and really mattering.

daydream

Banned
Not in Conquest you can't. No grinding maps unless you buy the DLC. Traditional FE doesn't have grinding. That was added when IS started going a bit soft with Sacred Stones and they really leaned into it with Awakening.

The routes meant for more casual play still have it, but Conquest is back to EXP being a limited resource and really mattering.

yeah, i was referring to the dlc

and calling it brute force is also accurate and inaccurate for aw. it implies inadmissability when it's a legitimate way to handle some missions, striving for military dominance, overpowering your opponent. and like everything else it's comprised of strategical considerations every step of the way.

the way they evoke a battle on a macro-level by way of constant puzzle-solving on a micro-level has always been fantastic, not to mention the unique style, ranging from character design to the music. 'wars' is simply a great, great series

completely different from fe, though. that comparison has always been nonsensical. fe is also damn good, of course, and i'm looking forward to conquest myself

If a game people enjoyed released DLC without anyone noticing, did it really release DLC at all?

I didn't know SteamWorld Heist released DLC in April until Kat Bailey mentioned it on Axe of the Blood God on Friday.

yami4ct

yeah, i was referring to the dlc

and calling it brute force is also accurate and inaccurate for aw. it implies inadmissability when it's a legitimate way to handle some missions, striving for military dominance, overpowering your opponent. and like everything else it's comprised of strategical considerations every step of the way.

the way they evoke a battle on a macro-level by way of constant puzzle-solving on a micro-level has always been fantastic, not to mention the unique style, ranging from character design to the music. 'wars' is simply a great, great series

completely different from fe, though. that comparison has always been nonsensical. fe is also damn good, of course, and i'm looking forward to conquest myself

I'm not saying it as a bad thing. Just expressing my preference. I prefer the on the ground tactics of FE where every moment matters and I don't think AW will ever be as satisfying to me because of those basic ruleset changes.

Anyone who'd buy the grind DLC for Conquest might as well not be playing Conquest. The whole point of that game is how delicately balanced everything is and how the difficulty spins off from that. Paying extra to destroy that balance allows you to do what? See the story? It's not like Conquest's narrative is something all that compelling. If you're going to do that, just buy Birthright and Revelation and skip Conquest. It's not a game made for you.

daydream

Banned
I'm not saying it as a bad thing. Just expressing my preference. I prefer the on the ground tactics of FE where every moment matters and I don't think AW will ever be as satisfying to me because of those basic ruleset changes.

Anyone who'd buy the grind DLC for Conquest might as well not be playing Conquest. The whole point of that game is how delicately balanced everything is and how the difficulty spins off from that. Paying extra to destroy that balance allows you to do what? See the story? It's not like Conquest's narrative is something all that compelling. If you're going to do that, just buy Birthright and Revelation and skip Conquest. It's not a game made for you.

i'm saying it's an option. just like you can play through aw casually or try and ace every mission. honestly, getting the best rank on aw missions is more harrowing than anything in fe or at least on par. aw1 especially is a motherfucker to perfect, partly due to flawed design. it's the weakest aw game, for sure

I have no money... should I get Overwatch or Uncharted? I guess Overwatch will last longer but... hmm

My question is how much does the story of Uncharted mean to you? If you want to avoid spoilers, it will become harder and harder. I mean, Deadspin today (a SPORTS WEBSITE, though one from Gawker, so.....) spoiled Captain America: Civil War IN THE HEADLINE (a writer of the site was ripping into people complaining). So, with the way the internet is with everyone feeling their particular opinion of a story/plot must be heard, I think you might want to go Uncharted, unless you don't care about spoilers

yami4ct

i'm saying it's an option. just like you can play through aw casually or try and ace every mission. honestly, getting the best rank on aw missions is more harrowing than anything in fe or at least on par. aw1 especially is a motherfucker to perfect, partly due to flawed design. it's the weakest aw game, for sure

I think there's a different kind of harrowing to AW's mission design compared to the 'one death will screw up my entire chapter' of FE. Again, it's not necessarily a bad thing. I just prefer what FE does in that case.

I get the DLC chapter is an option, but I just don't personally know who that option's for. Only reason I could see using it would be just to fuck around with a bunch of different dudes in a secondary play through.

The point I was more trying to make in my original post wasn't that AW wasn't cool or that IS shouldn't give the series another go. I was more pointing out that that series always seemed more aimed at more causal strategy fans and IS has that market covered right now with their split FE release structure. I'd love for them to release a new AW, but I'm not sure if there's a place for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom