• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney seem to have one of these big panic attacks every few years... to be honnestI was much more annoyed then when they shuttered Blackrock as I loved Spilt/Second and Pure.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty surprised. With Disney, Marvel and Star Wars in the same thing, you'd think it prints money. I'm guessing kids just don't play console/PC games anymore, at least not enough. All the money's going to mobile :( And why not? They cost a fraction of the cost to develop, and the profit margins are way higher than on physical goods.

Sucks.

TraBuch

Banned
Is there any doubt that he joins Drake and Boyes and Kessler and we get some fucking amazing stories this time next year on the Bombcast?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've mentioned it before but Disney Infinity always looks like the only toys to life product that doesn't gross me out by its very existence. Everything about it looks like it's a well made product. Too bad it didn't work out for the people that seemed to put way more effort than should be necessary to make that idea work with Disney IP.

I'm not surprised Disney is getting out of the games business. The return for the amount of money they put into it wasn't worth it. Which, these days, is far too common for AAA budget games.

Hopefully Disney start allowing people to license the Marvel IP now for console releases if they are not going to focus on doing anything themselves

I want a big budget console Marvel game to arrive at some point

Captain America in the style of Uncharted is guaranteed fun time!

Xater

Hopefully Disney start allowing people to license the Marvel IP now for console releases if they are not going to focus on doing anything themselves

I want a big budget console Marvel game to arrive at some point

Captain America in the style of Uncharted is guaranteed fun time!

That's what I am hoping as well. Let's get Marvel out of the mobile ghetto.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Amiibos actually sell super well, because most people don't buy them to use them in video games.
Nintendo only has so many characters to exploit. There's probably about 10 million Nintendo fanboys that will buy anything released by them. It's gotta come to an end sooner or later.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Does this make a big-budget Avengers-related game more or less likely? It's crazy there hasn't already been a dozen, let alone any.

I mean, Disney shuttered their games division. Probably less likely, if anything. They shitcanned that first-person Avengers game a few years ago too. I'd like it, but it's so much riskier than shitting out a bunch of F2P games because one or two of them will inevitably stick.

Johnny V does tens if not hundreds of thousands of air miles slinging that product then it just gets snuffed out. That sucks. Def sorry to hear. It seemed like it was doing well.

I mean, Disney shuttered their games division. Probably less likely, if anything. They shitcanned that first-person Avengers game a few years ago too. I'd like it, but it's so much riskier than shitting out a bunch of F2P games because one or two of them will inevitably stick.

You're probably right, but it might still be worth their while to license out to EA or whoever to shit out some Battlefront-tier third person action game. Wait I don't want that.

Lunar FC

I've never really understood patriotism. American or otherwise. Like, good for Dan that he gets pride out of the fact that he was born in a place he likes, something he had no control or influence over. But what's the point of draping yourself in flags and cheering for America and going all crazy about it? Don't get me wrong, I don't want America to go away seeing as how I live here, but it's just a landmass governed by people who don't give a shit about you and take money from you to spend on shit you mostly wouldn't approve of. What's there to be proud of?

I'm at a loss for words. Accusing people of being irrational or morally deficient simply because they are proud of their home is something that seems beyond belief.

popo

Another case of Tuesday evening news. I guess we'll hear about it from the Beastcast first.

You already heard about it. Don't need to get your news from GB. Isn't like they are going to call up JV and ask him how he feels getting shit canned.

Zaph

Disney took a look at Infinity, and then the Star Wars/EA deal, and realised why are they fucking around making their own shit when the managed risk with a eager partner is basically how they do all their other business anyway.

I've mentioned it before but Disney Infinity always looks like the only toys to life product that doesn't gross me out by its very existence. Everything about it looks like it's a well made product. Too bad it didn't work out for the people that seemed to put way more effort than should be necessary to make that idea work with Disney IP.

And there's the issue - Infinity was well made by several really good studios. The toys too.

But when it comes to merch, Disney is used to lucrative and low-risk licensing deals with toys and apparel manufacturers, and strong-arming retailers for prime placement. The game business doesn't work the same and that $147 write-off is massive in comparison to what they spend to (co-)produce their other merch.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at a loss for words. Accusing people of being irrational or morally deficient simply because they are proud of their home is something that seems beyond belief.

I don't think he's saying that, more that there is very little reason to be proud of America or being born in America.

Disney took a look at Infinity, and then the Star Wars/EA deal, and realised why are they fucking around making their own shit when the managed risk with a eager partner is basically how they do all their other business anyway.

basically they came to the same conclusion LucasArts did before they got bought out.

I don't think he's saying that, more that there is very little reason to be proud of America or being born in America.

there's more to a country than their government and what makes the news. if there was "very little reason" to be proud, nobody would fucking live here.

I don't consider myself terribly patriotic and certainly not to the level of wearing flags on pants or buying terrible beer because it says America on it. But I have felt waves of patriotism in a couple instances. Once, working outside of DC on 9/11 and having people who were at the Pentagon come back to the office the next day to tell us about what happened and the camaraderie that occurred over the next long while as a result. And then working overseas in London in 2002 and "representing" the USA then and other times when I'm abroad. Dunno if that's patriotism in either instance, but, both probably close...

Lunar FC

My love for the country has nothing to do with government actions and our involvement in world affairs.

there's more to a country than their government and what makes the news. if there was "very little reason" to be proud, nobody would fucking live here.
And this.

If JV gets another gig within Disney, at least we won't have to keep hearing him shill for Disney Infinity...always hated the game, and was tired of hearing about it.

Myggen

Exactly.

All the Persona 5 designs are great, male and female. It's probably the first cast that looks super on point for every character. Even the designs I don't love as much, Necronomicon girl, still shows a ton of personality.

Judging characters without knowing who they are is dumb, though. Obviously. There's no way to know which characters I love until I play the game. Like I mentioned in the PV04 thread, most of the characters I really dig aren't the ones I thought I would going in. I had no clue I'd come to like Rise, Naoto and Kanji as much as I did as an example.

It puts this toxic fixation on favorites. The worst uses that ickiness to squelch criticism of their ickiness.

Well he does love corporations.

"Brands are MY friends!"

Well, guess that means unleashed Johnny V at E3 (if he goes)

That's a scary visual given Goddamn Nightmare People last year.

I've never really understood patriotism. American or otherwise. Like, good for Dan that he gets pride out of the fact that he was born in a place he likes, something he had no control or influence over. But what's the point of draping yourself in flags and cheering for America and going all crazy about it? Don't get me wrong, I don't want America to go away seeing as how I live here, but it's just a landmass governed by people who don't give a shit about you and take money from you to spend on shit you mostly wouldn't approve of. What's there to be proud of?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!

I don't consider myself terribly patriotic and certainly not to the level of wearing flags on pants or buying terrible beer because it says America on it. But I have felt waves of patriotism in a couple instances. Once, working outside of DC on 9/11 and having people who were at the Pentagon come back to the office the next day to tell us about what happened and the camaraderie that occurred over the next long while as a result. And then working overseas in London in 2002 and "representing" the USA then and other times when I'm abroad. Dunno if that's patriotism in either instance, but, both probably close...

there's a lot of bad shit and a lot of things we should be doing better and a lot of things that will probably never get fixed, but what makes a country is it's people and we certainly have our fair share of good ones. you won't see me waving a flag while firing a gun into the air, but dismissing a giant landmass and 320 million people is kind of pathetic.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
if there was "very little reason" to be proud, nobody would fucking live here.

you really believe that? ok.

My love for the country has nothing to do with government actions and our involvement in world affairs.

That's convenient. "I'm proud of my country but not the bad parts".

And let me be clear, just as I think it's ludicrous to be proud of where you were fucking born, especially a very bad country like America, neither am I blaming anyone for living there. People don't have the luxury to pick up and move and even if they did it's not an easy thing to uproot yourself, especially if you're living comfortably. Anyway that's probably enough politics for today.

Xater

Beastcast could have some interesting talking points. Some interesting information out of that EA thing.

Like Battlefront sold 14+ million but only 43k play that thing. They also only have 10% of people buying Premium. Considering the bonus stuff EA as announced for BF1 so far, I am willing to bet Premium is done. Microtransactions everywhere instead.

Like Battlefront sold 14+ million but only 43k play that thing.

Pretty staggering numbers but also not surprising, at least based on my anecdotal experience. When that game came out, a TON of people on Facebook were talking about playing it -- people who I never see talking about games, ever. It was perfectly timed with the new movie, combined with the gap between marquee Star Wars game releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom