• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaina

I very much prefer the audio version of podcasts, but the Bombcast live stream will be great for me in the way that I can count on something to lull me to sleep every Tuesday night.

mintyice

Did they mention when they are starting that?

Just watched my bro play the intro to UC4, these finals can't be over fast enough.

Next couple weeks. Premium members can watch it live as it's being recorded so that's kind of cool. I wonder if they'll have a set start point every week.

yami4ct

Dan downplaying how messed up WWI was is kinda hilarious given he's taken a class on it.

I'm an american, so I'll admit I was not taught WWI in the detail I probably should've been in regular school. I have taken a class on British history that heavily covered it and I listened to Hardcore History's huge series on it (in addition to the other WWI learning through osmosis).

I'm confident in saying that WWI is perhaps the most fucked up thing I've learned about in the modern era. I'm not shocked those affected by it are extremely hesitant to see it depicted in an over the top shooter.

Jintor

I'm confident in saying that WWI is perhaps the most fucked up thing I've learned about in the modern era. I'm not shocked those affected by it are extremely hesitant to see it depicted in an over the top shooter.

I wonder where the line is and where we should draw it in terms of 'turning horrific bloody massacres into (interactive?) entertainment'. It's such a strange thing...

Houndi101

This Infinity thing is killing my belief in Mickey Mouse money, and hell these days Marvel and Star Wars.
If that isn't enough then what is?

I wonder where the line is and where we should draw it in terms of 'turning horrific bloody massacres into (interactive?) entertainment'. It's such a strange thing...

Hundred more years and WW1 will just be a statistic like the fucked up shit the Huns did way back when

yami4ct

It's a tough one. I'm not personally opposed to a WWI Battlefield, but on the same token I wasn't culturally affected by it. I can totally see why people would think turning that war into a fairly empty entertainment property is fucked up.

Like, on the one hand, maybe we shouldn't be doing this at all. Maybe things as totally horrific as WWI should remain in the realm of games that try to use that setting to tell a greater narrative and have an interesting artistic value. On the other, if you're going to do it, then totally be prepared to take that as valid criticism.

Jintor

even in conflicts we explore (especially in games) there are definitely areas that are only really touched on in 'serious' ways. Nazis are commonplace but it's pretty rare to find any game that actually deals with concentration camps.

Though there was a while there were like three games came out in the same year or two that used White Phosphor as its 'this is the ulllltimate eeeevil' or something

WW1 was a mess. In the sense that, it was the birth of chemical warfare. Not only that, but it was a slaughterfield. Soldiers stuck in Trenches, not alot of space to move out, disease running rampant because of their environment, the No Man's Land, the early death traps that were tanks, early scouting using aeroplanes were awkward until they were able to mount machine guns to them, so pilots would have to use pistols to shoot each other.

WW1 is a mess. WWII is the more well known war ofc, and just as inhumane, but there was a brutality unique to WWI.

Not to mention I imagine many Europeans feel that it's the fault of WWI to leading into WWII, and as such it's a touchy subject.

yami4ct

WW1 was a mess. In the sense that, it was the birth of chemical warfare. Not only that, but it was a slaughterfield. Soldiers stuck in Trenches, not alot of space to move out, disease running rampant because of their environment, the No Man's Land, the early death traps that were tanks, early scouting using aeroplanes were awkward until they were able to mount machine guns to them, so pilots would have to use pistols to shoot each other.

WW1 is a mess. WWII is the more well known war ofc, and just as inhumane, but there was a brutality unique to WWI.

Not to mention I imagine many Europeans feel that it's the fault of WWI to leading into WWII, and as such it's a touchy subject.

There's a unique concoction of horror that luckily probably can never exist outside of WWI. We as a species had just created weapons that could mow down lives at an unprecedented scale, but we didn't really realize the ramifications of using them nor did we appreciate how to deal with those weapons being on the other side. The tactics were still based on freaking musket fire. This meant leaders had to really learn how to fight these wars on the battlefield and the on the fly tactics created a killing field scenario whose vastness is really hard to appreciate. Because the war was an ongoing thing, and no one wanted to give, everyone just settled on throwing more bodies at the problem.

repeater

WW1 would make for a pretty cool MOBA.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
WW2 is easily way more fucked up just from the holcaust, the rape of nanking and the birth of the nuclear arms race.

Hell, it's also the world war where Asia is heavily impacted too. Singapore certainly doesn't forget japan's occupation on how brutal the japanese were.

People thinking that WW1 was more brutal forgot the pacific side of things.

As long as they record the Bombcast assuming people are listening and not watching I'm fine with it. I don't want to be driving and listen to a 5 minute segment which is based on visual content.

Master of Orion looks like a friendlier version of Stellaris

Master of Orion 2 is really weird to look at. There's so many things that remind of Master of Orion 2, but not enough to get me with a nostalgia factor. The changes they're making I also dislike, primarily the removal of turn-based combat. I can't help but feel its at this weird crossroads of wanting to be a remaster while also wanting to be its own thing.

Hopefully it comes together closer to release.

Vinnys face when they tell him that Stan Hansen popped out Vaders eye

Master of Orion 2 is really weird to look at. There's so many things that remind of Master of Orion 2, but not enough to get me with a nostalgia factor. The changes they're making I also dislike, primarily the removal of turn-based combat. I can't help but feel its at this weird crossroads of wanting to be a remaster while also wanting to be its own thing.

Hopefully it comes together closer to release.

Honestly I'd probably go back and play some more Civilization 5 since it's so much fun

yami4ct

Uncharted 4 is a very good game. So much more interesting and exciting than 3. I'm really glad now that ND seems to be giving Nathan a proper sendoff instead of leaving him lie after the kind of mess that was UC3.

Xater

Jeff's Uncharted complain about not really knowing where to jump is super weird to me. That probably happened to me twice in the entire game. They made the climbing less super obvious, but I stil thought they were still way too obvious. I was pretty much on auto pilot during those segments.

yami4ct

Is it a definitive sendoff though? As in they can't possibly make another uncharted game?

I'm only around 1/3-1/2 way through, but from what I've heard, the ending seems to make people think ND is definitely done this time. I guess they could always pull what they did with UC4 and undo that ending (Maybe. Like I said, I'm not finished), but everything about this game already feels like them closing off Nathan's story.

chrixter

As soon as I started shooting from cover in Uncharted 4 I related exactly to how Jeff feels about it. The reticle gets placed several inches higher on screen than I usually expect when popping out of cover in third person shooters. Not a huge deal though.

Really enjoying the story and characters. The gamey parts, much less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom