• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

As soon as I started shooting from cover in Uncharted 4 I related exactly to how Jeff feels about it. The reticle gets placed several inches higher on screen than I usually expect when popping out of cover in third person shooters. Not a huge deal though.

Really enjoying the story and characters. The gamey parts, much less so.

I'm am almost the opposite. I love the combat arenas. If you play it stop and pop style, which I expect Jeff to do, it's not that much fun. But mixing in stealthy swinging into better positions, or even jumping off things to punch guys in the face never got old. I actually wanted more of that in the first act of the game. The game basically doesn't get going until chapter 5.

hamchan

Is it a definitive sendoff though? As in they can't possibly make another uncharted game?

Having finished it today, yes it seems to be the end. I mean, they could still make another one if they really wanted but who cares at this point considering the ending is so perfect and a great closer to the whole series.

Xater

Having finished it today, yes it seems to be the end. I mean, they could still make another one if they really wanted but who cares at this point considering the ending is so perfect and a great closer to the whole series.

And for me it was a super emotional end. I got wet eyes during it. I feel satisfied.

derFeef

Darn those Hitman videos. I am sooo tempted to get it but time is tight as always, having DS3 still unfinished and playing multiplayer at the moment mostly.

yami4ct

And for me it was a super emotional end. I got wet eyes during it. I feel satisfied.

I'm glad to hear it. Uncharted 4 felt like such a bad and unearned way to send off Nathan. I really loved UC2 and so far UC4 is the UC3 I really wanted.

Xater

Darn those Hitman videos. I am sooo tempted to get it but time is tight as always, having DS3 still unfinished and playing multiplayer at the moment mostly.

I finally caved and bought it. This game is great. Nothing like that Absolution shit show. I was skeptical of the episodic model, but it does in the end work in its favor, and they do smart things to make the missions almost infinitely replayable.

I'm glad to hear it. Uncharted 4 felt like such a bad and unearned way to send of Nathan. I really loved UC2 and so far UC4 is the UC3 I really wanted.

It really is. UC3 was really disappointing to me. It progressed in all the wrong ways from UC2 and they basically corrected everything here.

Suddenly, Johnny V getting stage time at the Sony conference makes a lot more sense. They must have seen the writing on the wall even then.

derFeef

I finally caved and bought it. This game is great. Nothing like that Absolution shit show. I was skeptical of the episodic model, but it does in the end work in its favor, and they do smart things to make the missions almost infinitely replayable.

Do you think the intro pack is a good representation? That Episode 2 mission seems so good though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Does it perhaps involve Elena chopping Drake's legs down to the stumps thus forcing him to settle down.

Because that is what I would consider perfect.

Xater

Do you think the intro pack is a good representation? That Episode 2 mission seems so good though.

I mostly only played the Paris level so far. Trying to do all the different assassinations. There is more to that map than it seems at first, but yes the second one is even better.

yami4ct

Suddenly, Johnny V getting stage time at the Sony conference makes a lot more sense. They must have seen the writing on the wall even then.

Them not diving into a 4.0 box release also seems a lot more telling in hindsight.

I guess Disney was really betting on the Star Wars line really lighting it up and it fell short. I can't say I'm too surprised. The Infinity line always seemed to be on a steady march back in terms of shelf space at the stores I've been at and I never even saw popular SW guys in short supply at launch.

hamchan

Does it perhaps involve Elena chopping Drake's legs down to the stumps thus forcing him to settle down.

Because that is what I would consider perfect.

The Ending:

Nate realises that he has explored every location on Earth and decides to go into space, the final frontier.

Elena can't handle Nate leaving her for good so she decides to erase her memories of him using that memory erasing service from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Xater

Brad asking what I have been thinking ever since I saw that game. Pocket Card Jockey always looked like a game that should be on a phone. That is exactly the kind of thing Nintendo should release on mobile and not this Miitomo trash.

yami4ct

Brad asking what I have been thinking ever since I saw that game. Pocket Card Jockey always looked like a game that should be on a phone. That is exactly the kind of thing Nintendo should release on mobile and not this Miitomo trash.

They've already said future mobile products will be more traditional game experience. Miitomo was just a way to drive MyNintendo registration and get used to developing mobile apps.

Jamie OD

There is a phone version available in Japan but it was a 3DS first and foremost..

Started looking at the various BF1 discussions after the bombcast and it's definitely odd seeing the large gaps in knowledge about WW1. For some reason I'd never considered that it wasn't a subject that was pretty widely taught.

Can't tell if this post is about Uncharted or Life on Mars UK.
Both, think about it.

Xater

How do you know, though?

I just know.

Seriously, it's great to see something just end these days in gaming. Personally I think trilogies are most of the time more than enough of one game idea, but franchises will be franchises. Having something just end in a satisfying way is great.

They've already said future mobile products will be more traditional game experience. Miitomo was just a way to drive MyNintendo registration and get used to developing mobile apps.

I know, I still think Miitomo is incredibly dumb. I was skeptical of it pre-release and when I tried it I deleted it on the same day.

There is a phone version available in Japan but it was a 3DS first and foremost..

Maybe they will bring that out here as well, because that's how I would like to play it.

Jothel

Just started AssCreed Syndicate and boy, just the small change of making the buttons for jumping up and down different is already making such a big difference.

popo

I have zero interest in a video bombcast but a vocal section of the audience have been asking for years, so good that they are trying it. It will be interesting to see the numbers it gets.

VOD on youtube gets around them having to put out ad and ad-free archives too. I wonder if they will continue to record adverts live or record off air and add them later-

I have zero interest in a video bombcast but a vocal section of the audience have been asking for years, so good that they are trying it. It will be interesting to see the numbers it gets.

VOD on youtube gets around them having to put out ad and ad-free archives too. I wonder if they will continue to record adverts live or record off air and add them later-

They should start doing skits.

Myggen

Started looking at the various BF1 discussions after the bombcast and it's definitely odd seeing the large gaps in knowledge about WW1. For some reason I'd never considered that it wasn't a subject that was pretty widely taught.

It's not widely taught here in Norway at least. I barely know anything about it other than the impact it had on Germany and its politics.

It's not widely taught here in Norway at least. I barely know anything about it other than the impact it had on Germany and its politics.

Living in England is definitely a factor as to why it struck me as odd at first. We ended up being taught about WW1 & WW2 multiple times so the idea of basic information about those wars not really being common knowledge caught me off guard.

Antiwhippy

I should get this, but I don't

unless you're talking about how the dude puts musical interludes in a lot of his shit, because I wouldn't really call those "skits"

Mmm... Food is probably the only album where I go "urgh just fucking cut the fucking skits jesus christ."

I get it, you like the X-men. Can we please move on.

His collaborative works are at least better in that respect
and also way better in every other way.

repeater

Seriously, it's great to see something just end these days in gaming. Personally I think trilogies are most of the time more than enough of one game idea, but franchises will be franchises. Having something just end in a satisfying way is great.
Absolutely agree. Hope Sony has the sense to let it rest now, having (by all accounts) ended on the highest possible note for that series.

I think Jeff wins MPP. He's got the best mic skills.
qigbJHe.gif

Mmm... Food is probably the only album where I go "urgh just fucking cut the fucking skits jesus christ."

I get it, you like the X-men. Can we please move on.

I think the skits on Mm... Food are the ones I like most, though. The 6-minute stretch in the middle of the album is a bit much, but the rest of the stuff is good.

Xater

I think I have not mentioned how happy I am there is a new Mario Party Party today. So there it is.

It has been way too long since the last one.

I learned much more about WW1 at school than WW2 in the Scottish school system.

A great deal of unspoken respect is given to WW1 here, more than other wars I would say. Whenever it is depicted in media or dramas, it's always with a mournful and respectful tone.

Apart from Blackadder, but even that in the end.

There's still a minute's silence every year at 11am on the 11th November.

Antiwhippy

I think the skits on Mm... Food are the ones I like most, though. The 6-minute stretch in the middle of the album is a bit much, but the rest of the stuff is good.

I mean don't get me wrong, I really like Mm... Food, but the problem is that I listen to it so much that the skits eventually wore out their welcome. And they're so fucking long.

Hearing the Uncharted discussion is frustrating. It's a game I want to play, but god damn do I hate those games. Even when they're talking about it I keep thinking "Oh, I like that, that'd probably be cool" and then it immediately fallows up with "Oh yeah, I really hate that though."

Peru

The problem is not that you don't know where to jump in UC4 but that all the jumping and climbing is not really gameplay at all. It feels like clicking on 'next' repeatedly.

The combat is improved quite a bit though. More fun and dynamic encounters.

--

Re: video podcast. I like videotaped talking. Back in the day those casual conversations about gaming was my favorite part of the 1up show. The problem is I use the podcasts on my way to work, and if I start watching the videos I'll have to find something else.

Xater

I have a vague fear that they'll start playing to the camera to the detriment of the audio, but the video will probably be a niche thing so they'll be mindful of that.

I hope so, because the podcast will probably most of the time be an audio thing for me. Mostly because I hear it on the go, often even in the car.

Myggen

I have a vague fear that they'll start playing to the camera to the detriment of the audio, but the video will probably be a niche thing so they'll be mindful of that.

Jeff has always been very aware of that and said that that's one of the reasons he hasn't liked the idea in the past, so I doubt they'll be doing that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom