• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

PZzIabP.png

LWIPb7P.png

lLikgtn.png

bQ2eIAf.png

Squirt+Turtle.

Wartortle doesn't even have anything to do with squirrel in its name. I could have sworn the design was based on some JP mythology (not the kappa) but I can't find reference to that now.

I'm reading those tweets in an increasing Austin's "VINNY!!!" voice.

I'd heard of down comforters but never knew that was related to the feather type so the whole "OHHH down!" thing went completely over my head. I'd just assumed it was a type of comforter, not feather.

You mean a doooooooooooooooooooooooooovit?

The best part about this is that I started looking up the biography data of that line, and Mega Blastoise apparently has a firing range of 6 miles with its cannon. That's some crazy water pressure.

I barely remember the plot of X and Y. Maybe I didn't finish it.

I remember going to some mansion and then watching fireworks with some girl from the balcony

Towards the end of the game you learn that the bad guy is trying to start up a superweapon that existed back in the old days of Pokemon that basically is just a giant genocide gun. It was created after the king's (I think) favorite Pokemon was killed in battle. King made the weapon to absorb life force and put it into his favorite Pokemon, which succeeded in restoring his Pokemon, but it hated him after learning how many had been sacrificed to the device.

Towards the end of the game you learn that the bad guy is trying to start up a superweapon that existed back in the old days of Pokemon that basically is just a giant genocide gun. It was created after the king's (I think) favorite Pokemon was killed in battle. King made the weapon to absorb life force and put it into his favorite Pokemon, which succeeded in restoring his Pokemon, but it hated him after learning how many had been sacrificed to the device.

What a fucking inconsiderate pokemon. It comes back from the dead, and all it can do is be a dick to its master? What an asshole. I would've shot the pokemon right there.

What a fucking inconsiderate pokemon. It comes back from the dead, and all it can do is be a dick to its master? What an asshole. I would've shot the pokemon right there.

Pokemon and its master became immortal afterward as a side effect of the device.

I mean would you be all loving and shit if your friend committed an atrocity to bring you back to life?

Pokemon and its master became immortal afterward as a side effect of the device.

I mean would you be all loving and shit if your friend committed an atrocity to bring you back to life?

Yes

I would be immortal

Who the hell wouldn't be happy as shit that they came back from the dead as an immortal

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yes

I would be immortal

Who the hell wouldn't be happy as shit that they came back from the dead as an immortal

But that just means that the endgoal is to float in the vast nothingness of space for eternity once the heat death of the universe occurs.

the way you're describing the X and Y storyline sounds tight. I wonder why I don't remember any of it

Like you said, you didn't get far enough into it. All the bad guy revelation stuff happens on the tail end of the storyline.

Or maybe you just don't remember? That would be kinda weird.

Jintor

Like you said, you didn't get far enough into it. All the bad guy revelation stuff happens on the tail end of the storyline.

Or maybe you just don't remember? That would be kinda weird.

once you started talking about it i had a pretty distinct memory of king hobo reaching out to his dumb butterfly pokemon or whatever so I remember that bit of it.

I think the main thing was it was all backstory and had next to no relation to what was going on. I think a bunch of crystals grew out of the ground at some point? or there was an earthquake? god I barely remember anything of x and y.

once you started talking about it i had a pretty distinct memory of king hobo reaching out to his dumb butterfly pokemon or whatever so I remember that bit of it.

I think the main thing was it was all backstory and had next to no relation to what was going on. I think a bunch of crystals grew out of the ground at some point? or there was an earthquake? god I barely remember anything of x and y.

king hobo lol

Yeah the giant cannon was a big crystalline thing. So you do remember it just not the details.

I'm not saying the story was great or anything but at least it was a bit more grim. Other than the Team Plasma storylines. BW still has the best Pokemon story.

Jintor

kinda makes me sad that was the only mainline one I didn't play (didn't play B2/W2 either). I hear it had a really good story.

I'm thinking Sun and Moon is gonna be more of the same usual fare, just in Hawaii.

Johndoey

Banned
Would you cook and eat a Pikachu in front of a Pikachu? Ash fell on some lean times once or twice it probably happened, he probably fed Pikachu bits of Pikachu. How often to young trainers get caught out in the wilderness and have to eat their pokemon?

hamchan

I always thought it was squirt + turtle. If Game Freak actually managed to fit double meaning into that name then they're geniuses.

Sakwoff

If you didn't know, down feathers are underneath the actual feathers (hence "down", I guess). It's the fuzz you see on baby chickens, for instance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_feather

Down as in upside down and down as in feathers are just homonyms, there is no real semantic connection there. (They come from different origins and happen to have the same form in Modern English.)

It also has cognates in other languages, like "Daune" in German. Whereas the direction hasn't. (that would be "unten") Fun fact: in the German localization it's called Phönixfeder. Which basically means phoenix feather. No confusion there.

Please make sure to tune in next time again to Sakwoff's Linguistic Minute.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You should buy a Vita.

Still one of my favourite systems of all time. Love it so much I imported a new one just to have it in a colour I want.

What on it are you interested in? (it's my favourite current system, but it's hard for me to recommend to people unless they want very specific things from it)

So I'm looking for a game to play while I wait out new Hitman episodes. I almost picked up MGSV but decided to watch Drew play through it finally. I will get BoxBoxBoy in August when I have a long road trip. I need something else.

What are your favorite Vita games beside Persona 4 Golden?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I dunno, that's where I get stuck I guess. MGS collection would be nice to have I guess, Sly cooper collection seems neat. There's nothing on the system where I'm itching to play it.

That's exactly how I felt when I bought mine. Now it's just sitting there collecting dust.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
My excuse is that I never played Pokemon in english so I never thought about the names.

Edit: A "facebook friend" of mine just sent me an email titled "GIANT BOMB AND GAMERGATE! YOU SHOULD READ THIS" Cool, cool. I have the best friends.

For the record, I haven't read it. It's probably uncovering something earth-shattering like "X said THIS on twitter!" or "I got banned for saying THIS!" or "X is clearly on the take"

Sadly I can't even mute this guy cause I have to work with him on some project for my university.

Lunar FC

Pokemon GO is fun so far, though I know it needs more depth to it in the long run. It's also going to get me killed.

Edit: Found me a Geodude by the mailbox!

So I'm looking for a game to play while I wait out new Hitman episodes. I almost picked up MGSV but decided to watch Drew play through it finally. I will get BoxBoxBoy in August when I have a long road trip. I need something else.

What are your favorite Vita games beside Persona 4 Golden?

Off the top of my head:
Danganronpa 1+2, Superbeat XONiC, Muramasa Rebirth, Zero Escape series (though you'll need a DS/3DS or iOS device to play ZE1/999 first), Vita version of Hotline Miami, Puyo Puyo Tetris (out in Japan only, need to import)

My excuse is that I never played Pokemon in english so I never thought about the names.

Edit: A "facebook friend" of mine just sent me an email titled "GIANT BOMB AND GAMERGATE! YOU SHOULD READ THIS" Cool, cool. I have the best friends.

For the record, I haven't read it. It's probably uncovering something earth-shattering like "X said THIS on twitter!" or "I got banned for saying THIS!" or "X is clearly on the take"

Sadly I can't even mute this guy cause I have to work with him on some project for my university.

I want to read the email.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Off the top of my head:
Danganronpa 1+2, Superbeat XONiC, Muramasa Rebirth, Zero Escape series (though you'll need a DS/3DS or iOS device to play ZE1/999 first), Vita version of Hotline Miami, Puyo Puyo Tetris (out in Japan only, need to import)

I've done Danganronpa 1, Hotline Miami, 999. Had no clue Puyo Puyo Tetris was on Vita. I'll look into the others. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom