• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were out there very early talking about what the game actually is. People just didn't listen, looked at the pretty trailers and let their imagination go wild.

Yeah. Danny sat down with Hello Games numerous times and talked about this topic on his youtube. He thinks some type of backlash is inevitable because the game they're talking about, and the game the internet thinks they're talking about, are quite different.

Yep, the backlash is almost guaranteed at this point for these reasons. There was a little bit of mixed messaging early on but mostly people just saw the game they wanted to see and not what was actually being presented.

Jintor

he trick is to make what is being presented match what people want to see

i dunno, i think managing expectations is also an important part of PR

I'm ready for the thread saying they've played the game for 5 hours and still don't know what they do.

I wonder if this is also in some part the responsibility of Sony by putting them up on the big stage multiple times early on and basically not having a lot to say beyond the world generation and peoples imaginations running wild.

KingKong

yes you cant expect people to seek out interviews to figure out what the game plays like, especially after they see the trailer if it leads to false impressions

Xater

I'm ready for the thread saying they've played the game for 5 hours and still don't know what they do.

Those are probably the same people that would be lost in Minecraft, Starbound or Stardew Valley.

yes you cant expect people to seek out interviews to figure out what the game plays like, especially after they see the trailer if it leads to false impressions

Yeah, how dare anyone expect people to look about actual information instead of just looking at the pretty graphics! Come on man.

Jintor

Yeah, how dare anyone expect people to look about actual information instead of just looking at the pretty graphics! Come on man.

i can't disgree. it's like pill ads in the US. even if your terms and conditions are completely 100% accurate your sizzle is still the sizzle

I was more disappointed when it sounded like there wouldn't really be so much emphasis on exploring the planets. Kinda just mining I think? I was kinda hyped for scanning a planet's biology.

It certainly is their fault for not getting ahead of the hype and explaining what the hell the thing is. It let people write their own narratives and they never really had a big presentation moment where they could explain the details enough to stop people from going pie in the sky.

hamchan

Basically I expect No Man's Sky to be a more fancy version of the Mako planet exploring in Mass Effect 1.

This is how I don't get disappointed in the game.

Xater

Basically I expect No Man's Sky to be a more fancy version of the Mako planet exploring in Mass Effect 1.

I'm curious how good it will actually end up being. It will all depend on how well their systems actually work and motivate. Starbound is out of early access soon, and I also wondered what if that ends up being a better game? It might not be as pretty, but thematically they are pretty similar.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Unravel is now on Origin Access. I played 3 levels of it. I think I might actually hate this game. One of the games I was 100% sure I'll buy it on day one but didn't after the Quick Look. Thank god

I'm still interested in No Man's Sky but what does turn me off quite a bit is the space flight that they've shown so far. It looks super simple. This is what I love about Elite Dangerous, the flight model is the right combination of complex and fun that it makes it a joy to fly the ship. What Elite lacks, which No Man's Sky appears to do much better now, is interesting, diverse and living planet surfaces. At the moment, Elite's planetary landings are restricted to non-atmospheric, non-volcanic moons and planets. The terrain can have some cool features and the fact that you are sitting on a to scale planet, rotating around its to scale star in a to scale star system is very cool. However, there is a lack of interesting things to interact with when it comes to Elite and No Man's Sky appears to do a better job there out of the gate.

Johndoey

Banned
Anyone familiar with Fire Emblem know if I should pick up Awakening or one of the Fates games?

Alternatively is Bravely Second any good?

Meneses

Anyone familiar with Fire Emblem know if I should pick up Awakening or one of the Fates games?

A lot of people love Awakening and Fates.

These games killed the series for me, and I even bought a 3DS just for Awakening.

But seeing how the new approach appeals to many more people than the old ones ever did, I am wrong and they are right :)

I'm still interested in No Man's Sky but what does turn me off quite a bit is the space flight that they've shown so far. It looks super simple. This is what I love about Elite Dangerous, the flight model is the right combination of complex and fun that it makes it a joy to fly the ship. What Elite lacks, which No Man's Sky appears to do much better now, is interesting, diverse and living planet surfaces. At the moment, Elite's planetary landings are restricted to non-atmospheric, non-volcanic moons and planets. The terrain can have some cool features and the fact that you are sitting on a to scale planet, rotating around its to scale star in a to scale star system is very cool. However, there is a lack of interesting things to interact with when it comes to Elite and No Man's Sky appears to do a better job there out of the gate.

I agree insofar that, in the past the past the flying had this, to use an exaggerated comparison, no clip flying sensation. As if there's too much control over the ship.

Meguro

Banned
As someone who absolutely loved the old FE games and didn't finish Awakening, I really recommend playing FE Fates.
If you can only get one of the games, get Conquest.
The story is crap but the missions are just above and beyond anything that Birthright has to offer.

13658839_508097346051113_798001566_n.jpg

jaina

at first I wanted to say that's clearly Brad from the way he holds the phone.

But a cap, tshirt and watch, could this be Lang on the way back from BitSummit?

Same here. Although thats exactly why I won't be buying it 'till all the reviews hit.

edit:
at first I wanted to say that's clearly Brad from the way he holds the phone.

But a cap, tshirt and watch, could this be Lang on the way back from BitSummit?

That looks like Lang to me.

Fevaweva

Awakening probably has a better translation courtesy of the 8-4 guys. Both games are pretty similar from a game play and story perspective (the latter is pretty forgettable in both games).

popo

Bombcast really going outside the safe space for these guests

/s

Can you come in Tuesday morning to record a 2 to 3 hour podcast? Tough sell. Anyone decent is actually working so you get scrubs like Will Smith and fucking Dave Lang.

The rare time you snag someone outside their go-to circle they end up shilling to justify the time expenditure and the audience just gives them shit for it.

Can you come in Tuesday morning to record a 2 to 3 hour podcast? Tough sell. Anyone decent is actually working so you get scrubs like Will Smith and fucking Dave Lang.

The rare time you snag someone outside their go-to circle they end up shilling to justify the time expenditure and the audience just gives them shit for it.

Maybe they need to let slide the whole "can you come in for 3 hours" part.

I mean most guests spend half the podcast quiet anyway and wont talk about news stuff most of the time because they know someone at company X or whatever.

Just do what ya been playing and then let them go at the break.

At this rate Ill assume Jeff Green will be on between now and the end of July. That will be fun.

Oh. Actually is Boyes technically finished with Sony yet? He might have some free time between gigs.

Myggen

Jeff actually talked about that on Tumblr or whatever it was recently, and basically said what you wrote. It's difficult to get people to commit the time for a long podcast on a Tuesday, and if they're not used to podcasting it's also really hard to know how it'll go.

Myggen

Maybe they need to let slide the whole "can you come in for 3 hours" part.

I mean most guests spend half the podcast quiet anyway and wont talk about news stuff most of the time because they know someone at company X or whatever.

Just do what ya been playing and then let them go at the break.

That sounds like a pretty terrible idea tbh :p

Edit: Bah, double post.

FStop7

Banned
I work in an office building where most of the floors are populated with people who are... stiff. Insurance types. I've encountered multiple groups of them excitedly chattering to each other about Pokemon Go.

Interesting counterpoint, though - I've asked a couple of coworkers with early/late teenage kids. They said their kids aren't interested in the game. But they themselves have tried it.

Xater

I work in an office building where most of the floors are populated with people who are... stiff. Insurance types. I've encountered multiple groups of them excitedly chattering to each other about Pokemon Go.

Interesting counterpoint, though - I've asked a couple of coworkers with early/late teenage kids. They said their kids aren't interested in the game. But they themselves have tried it.

Further proof of the Pokemon actual audience meme.

I'm in a similar environment and Pokemon Go came up in two separate work related conversations. Nobody plays, but fact that they're aware is unique. Yesterday, though, I had to interacted with younger college aged kids who were obsessed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom