• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
friends, help me find a reliable way to stop drinking coke and other related soft drinks

depends on I guess why you're drinking it. If it's for fizzyness, try to switch over to flavored carbonated water. If it's for sugar, switching to tea/coffee is a good way to control your sugar intake, where as you can't with sodas. No matter what you do, the key is gradually reducing and staying with the plan. Do not quit cold turkey.

Tubobutts

i was on a good one or two month run of no sodas but I slipped and now I'm back to grabbing one with lunch or whatever. the fact there are vending machines everywhere in japan really doesn't help.
I've started drinking this instead, but it is probably as bad as soda. I don't know, I'm not a scientician.

Also I realized they may not have it in whatever un-American place you are.

Volotaire

I think the new 'rough guideline' for water is to drink half your bodyweight (your bodyweight in pounds, half it and drink that much water in ounces).

demidar

I only drink sodas for that instant acidic taste that burns my throat, but even that's rare.

I mainly stopped because I could feel the unhealth draining into my stomach and my brain started rejecting the craving because of it.

I just drink water now, not even any alcohol.

Jintor

I'm just really annoyed because I've realised I crave the instant the ice cold coke hits my tongue, but actually drinking the soda is rapidly becoming unpleasant

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm just really annoyed because I've realised I crave the instant the ice cold coke hits my tongue, but actually drinking the soda is rapidly becoming unpleasant

I mean the perfect solution really is to spit it out the instant it hits your tongue.

Win win.

Patryn

depends on I guess why you're drinking it. If it's for fizzyness, try to switch over to flavored carbonated water. If it's for sugar, switching to tea/coffee is a good way to control your sugar intake, where as you can't with sodas. No matter what you do, the key is gradually reducing and staying with the plan. Do not quit cold turkey.

Unsweetened flavored seltzer was what eventually helped me kick soda. Same sensations, some flavor, and it's more or less the equivalent of drinking water, in that it's 0 calories, 0 sugars and 0 sodium.

Of course, I later fell off the wagon, but I limit myself to one soda a day, if that.

My path of transition was to simply ban it from being in my house. I swapped buying 12-packs of soda at the grocery store with buying 12-packs of seltzer. Then I let myself have a soda if I went out to eat somewhere, and I've naturally cut way back.

The biggest revelation was how after kicking soda for a few months, caffeine went from having no effect on me to a MASSIVE effect. I used to be able to drink coffee and some Cokes, and still be drowsy. Nowadays, I drink one coffee and I'm WIRED. The one time I tried drinking a Coke within a couple hours of drinking my morning cup of coffee I was actually uncomfortably wired. It's to the point that I no longer have coffee with my dessert when I go out to eat, simply because I know I won't be able to sleep well.

Zaph

The biggest revelation was how after kicking soda for a few months, caffeine went from having no effect on me to a MASSIVE effect. I used to be able to drink coffee and some Cokes, and still be drowsy. Nowadays, I drink one coffee and I'm WIRED. The one time I tried drinking a Coke within a couple hours of drinking my morning cup of coffee I was actually uncomfortably wired. It's to the point that I no longer have coffee with my dessert when I go out to eat, simply because I know I won't be able to sleep well.

I gave up all sodas a few years ago, but I still regularly drink tea and coffee, so there wasn't much change with caffeine. However, sugar - god damn. Over the course of a month, everything became so much sweeter that I now take my coffee black, tea with no sugar, and generally never bother with sweets or desserts.

Those seven teaspoons of sugar in a can of coke cannot be overstated, and it's kind of incredible how, as a society, we've let coke become so normalised.

I'm like Jeff, caffeine doesn't really affect me, unless I ingest a great deal in a short amount of time. I still NEED my morning coffee but it's probably mostly psychological. I also never get a sugar rush or anything like that from soda. I don't know why.

Antiwhippy

I never understood how people can drink coffee with sugar anyway. You're not making something bitter sweet, you're intermingling bitterness and sweetness in an unholy communion that tastes like sewage.

demidar

I also add milk to my coffee like a godless heathen.

I have the weird habit of drinking half my coffee hot, leaving it to cool and down the other half cold.

i drink like two cans of diet coke a day, and it kind of bums me out I guess? except that I really like it.

but I also drink like two liters of water per day in addition, so it's probably not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

Antiwhippy

Eh milk with coffee is fine. If I know I'm getting shit coffee I'll dump milk in it.

If I'm paying $4 for coffee cold pressed from beans sourced in Ecuador which presents subtle flavours of berries and vanilla I'm not going to put milk in it though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
friends, help me find a reliable way to stop drinking coke and other related soft drinks

I started drinking only water a couple of years ago and it feels great. I still drink soft drinks when I eat outside but other than that, only water for me (alcohol doesn't count). I feel so much better since then, loosing weight is easier and it actually helps against thrist which all those soft drinks never really did for me.

I never understood how people can drink coffee with sugar anyway. You're not making something bitter sweet, you're intermingling bitterness and sweetness in an unholy communion that tastes like sewage.

I don't understand how people can drink coffee period. Rorie adn me, we're like the same guy.

popo

I like that Dan's response to the internet nannys telling him what to eat and drink is to double down on eating and drinking trash. He is willing to die for his performance art.

Scizzy

I mean if he's new to coffee, is it that bad for him to not know what an esperesso specifically is? It's not like he's will smith.

I know people like to masturbate over "I can't believe dan did this I wouldn't do this because I'm not an idiot" but sometimes you just gotta know first?

It's not that Dan is an idiot (he isn't), just that the confluence of ignorance and gluttony was just so perfectly Dan.

PowerTaxi

Banned
i was on a good one or two month run of no sodas but I slipped and now I'm back to grabbing one with lunch or whatever. the fact there are vending machines everywhere in japan really doesn't help.

I was only in Japan for 2 weeks but this is 100% true.

Its the best and worst at the same time.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Finally got my 1070 today and oh my god. I think I'll have to replay The Witcher 3 now. My god does this game run smoothly now. On the highest settings too. My eyes are bleeding, all those frames man. All those frames...
Guess I should download whatever Star Citizen is right now too

Xater

Finally got my 1070 today and oh my god. I think I'll have to replay The Witcher 3 now. My god does this game run smoothly now. On the highest settings too. My eyes are bleeding, all those frames man. All those frames...
Guess I should download whatever Star Citizen is right now too

Hey man, just letting you know I am super jealous.

repeater

You can be jealous of me as well. I spent an obscene amount on a new gaming computer featuring, among other things, a 1080. I have mainly used it to play F2P Magic the Gathering.

Hindl

After drinking way too much sugar in high school, I've switched to just drinking water with Mio. I'm half expecting something to come out in like 2 years saying Mio dissolves your liver or whatever but I'm not drinking sugar anymore at least.

Also, I just download bombcasts and play them through my media app, and it organizes by date. So after this week's bombcast, it started up the 7/28/15 bombcast, and the Dan health discussions in the beginning of that episode is crazy prescient for the one from this week.

2870904-ls.jpg
VRodeo 04: Raw Data, Edge of Nowhere, and More
Tired of bootleg "laser swords," Jeff and Dan finally get their hands on the real, virtual thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom