• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

2871020-vrodeo.jpg

http://www.giantbomb.com/images/1300-2871020

I'm like Jeff, caffeine doesn't really affect me, unless I ingest a great deal in a short amount of time. I still NEED my morning coffee but it's probably mostly psychological. I also never get a sugar rush or anything like that from soda. I don't know why.

Same here. Had someone tell me maybe I built up a tolerance to caffeine's effects considering I've been drinking coffee since I was a little kid and I used to drink a ton of soda. Though nowadays I'm 95% of the time drinking water, and only drinking a Diet Coke with dinner maybe twice a week if not less. I still do about one cup of coffee a day. But yeah, I could sleep right after a cup, and sometimes drink some at night for that cozy effect.

Unsweetened flavored seltzer was what eventually helped me kick soda. Same sensations, some flavor, and it's more or less the equivalent of drinking water, in that it's 0 calories, 0 sugars and 0 sodium.

Yep, I did the same. If you're hooked on the fizzy sensation, that's a good way to kick the sugar while still drinking some reasonably tasty stuff.

repeater

Listening to Dan's appearance on the 10% Happier podcast, I'm glad to be able to report that he brought the Giant Bomb expletives with him to ABC.

Does the premium Bombcast have ads now? I can't tell which one is which but I have two Bombcast feeds in my podcasts app and both of them have ads in the beginning.

daveo42

Banned
Hearing that Dan is pre-diabetic was kind of a surprise because even if he does eat some shitty stuff, it also sounds like he exercises (or at least runs) a good deal. Hearing he's downing 10 sodas a day tho sure doesn't help.

Ryckert's Market?

2871033-2977830792-366F4.jpg

Replace the cakes with taco bell and you have a winner.

FStop7

Banned
LA Noire and its really cool interrogation mechanic that's made completely pointless since the story throws it all out and does its own thing.

LA Noire and its really cool interrogation mechanic that's made completely pointless since the story throws it all out and does its own thing.

Don't even get me started. I was so fired up about that game, at first because I thought it was really cool, and then because it revealed that no matter what you do, you can never make the correct choices in that game. What a massive fuck you. And it's not like some Spec Ops The Line "that's the point" situation either, it was just a poorly conceived game.

Meneses

Wonder if the Hitman stuff they were teasing in the Bombcast will be some kind of Live Stream where they tackle all the new content once Gary Busey is in the game.

Not to spoil the game too hard, but the end of the Murder desk made me so angry.

That is not good video game design or narrative design. It was just all downhill from there, but that was a real crescendo of shit there.

FStop7

Banned
It's a shame about LA Noire because it dripped atmosphere and had so much potential. The devs obviously worked so hard on making that facial modeling tech, the interrogation and investigation stuff, etc... even the driving wasn't bad, at least not by open world standards.

It's a shame about LA Noise because it dripped atmosphere and had so much potential. The devs obviously worked so hard on making that facial modeling tech, the interrogation and investigation stuff, etc... even the driving wasn't bad, at least not by open world standards.

Yeah, it's absolutely a game that's less than the sum of its parts. I'd love to see them revisit it someday with a fresh approach and some lessons learned but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen now that Whore of the Orient is confirmed dead.

Zaph

For all the issues LA Noire had, I was still really interested in Whore of the Orient. Shame how that all went down with McNamara

Megasoum

Banned
I never finished Mafia 2 even if Mafia 1 is one of my favorite game ever.

Maybe I should do that someday. I dunno, I just got super bored playing Mafia 2. It was just driving to the next mission, do a bit of shooting, drive to the next mission and repeat until the end of the game.

It's an open world with nothing to do in it.

I heard about what they did to link it to the first game tho and this sounds great. Yeah, I really need to give it another try.

I never finished Mafia 2 even if Mafia 1 is one of my favorite game ever.

Maybe I should do that someday. I dunno, I just got super bored playing Mafia 2. It was just driving to the next mission, do a bit of shooting, drive to the next mission and repeat until the end of the game.

It's an open world with nothing to do in it.

I heard about what they did to link it to the first game tho and this sounds great. Yeah, I really need to give it another try.

If Mafia 1 really is one of your all-time favorites, it's very much worth going through the game to get to those moments.

Plus, the game takes some unexpected turns that are worth checking out. Namely,
you go to prison and actually spend time in the game doing things there

All this talk about Mafia has reminded me that Mafia 3 is out soon and looks awesome.

Yeah, I really hope they go all-in on the stuff they've talked about, and manage to make a decent open world this time.

Just finished the Dan Ryckert episode of 10% Happier. Great podcast, I encourage everyone to give it a listen. It's only 50 minutes.
+1 Really great stuff and even if you have passing interest it's worth your time IMO.

Dan has helped my life immensely since he came on to Giant Bomb and talked openly about his anxiety (along with the book) which led me to understanding my own undiagnosed problems for the first time.

Dan represented GB and 'gaming' very well for an audience that is probably mostly uninitiated with that hobby/industry.

Bit frustrated by their reaction to 3rd person VR.

I think the 3rd person stuff has been oddly great feeling, Lucky's Tale being a prime example of it.

Different strokes of course, they just seemed, Dan in particular to dismiss the idea out of hand.

KillerAJD

Bit frustrated by their reaction to 3rd person VR.

I think the 3rd person stuff has been oddly great feeling, Lucky's Tale being a prime example of it.

Different strokes of course, they just seemed, Dan in particular to dismiss the idea out of hand.

I'm kinda with them honestly. Unless it's a diorama style third person, behind the back stuff just does nothing for me in VR. It also probably doesn't help that in my case, it makes me feel queasy, so I may not be the best judge. Pretty much any camera control that isn't my head doing it makes me feel bad. I could only take about 30 minutes of Lucky's Tale before needing to stop, and even then, I probably should have stopped sooner.

Edge of Nowhere itself just doesn't look interesting at all to me, or at least, it doesn't seem like it needs to be in VR at all (at least with the little bit Jeff played). The story stuff might be cool though, and I generally like Insomniac's stuff. Also, wall climbing sections like what's in that game suck unless they are short, and they did not look short in Edge of Nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom