• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If Mafia 1 really is one of your all-time favorites, it's very much worth going through the game to get to those moments.

Plus, the game takes some unexpected turns that are worth checking out. Namely,
you go to prison and actually spend time in the game doing things there

Pretty sure that's Mafia 2,
you don't go to prison in 1.
Mafia 1 is absolutely one of my favourite games ever. There were so many little touches to that game, I loved it. Just things that I have never really seen before in videogames (which doesn't mean that they were never done before). The missions in the game felt super different from each other. One time you are
breaking into a house, next time you just go eat pizza with your boss and the hunt down a dude in his underwear etc.
Also I LOOOOVED the absolutely insane Free-Play Mode after you beat the game. Anybody remember that?
That race though. That is really the one thing most people remember about this game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
LA Noire and its really cool interrogation mechanic that's made completely pointless since the story throws it all out and does its own thing.

LA Noire is the most frustrated with a game I've ever been. It was SO close to having it all. But there were too many fuck ups.

LA Noire is number 11 on my favorites games of all time list, but I really can't disagree with any of y'all's criticisms. The game just tapped into so many things I love: 1950s detective fiction, film noir, golden-age Hollywood, the list goes on.

Many of my favorite games are deeply flawed, now that I think about it.

Tubobutts

Jeff may be the greatest swordsman of our era.

I think you could do something cool with third person VR, like you think you think you're playing the game but really the game is playing you. Insanity effects!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I always thought that if GTA continues being present day, the next LA Noire should be Miami Noire set in the 80s with the same mecahnics but more emphasis on the drug trade and better interrogation.

Megasoum

Banned
LA Noire is number 11 on my favorites games of all time list, but I really can't disagree with any of y'all's criticisms. The game just tapped into so many things I love: 1950s detective fiction, film noir, golden-age Hollywood, the list goes on.

Many of my favorite games are deeply flawed, now that I think about it.

Speaking of which, I finally watched L.A. Confidential for the first time over the weekend. Great movie

Off the record, on the QT and very hush-hush.

Speaking of which, I finally watched L.A. Confidential for the first time over the weekend. Great movie

Off the record, on the QT and very hush-hush.
I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen it, which is ridiculous because it's so far up my alley. I'll watch it soon!
I'm with you. Great atmosphere with a super unique gameplay hook. Memorable experience for sure.
Yep, I love it. The overarching story is so extraneous to my enjoyment of the game.
It's that time again where we talk about how great the theme is.
Possibly my favorite music (or at least main theme) of any game, ever.

That's what I was talking about.

I could never get into Mafia I. The driving seemed really fucked up on the PC version when I tried it out.

There was one mission in Mafia where you had to win a formula 1 race and it was the most fucked up hard thing ever. If you made a single mistake you were done for, and the car was SUPER squirrely. I probably spent hours beating it because I was like 13 or 14 or something when it came out.

They later released a patch that let you just skip that mission I think.

That's my Mafia 1 story. I absolutely loved it when it came out, it was one of the first games post-MGS with similarly cinematic ambitions and gorgeous graphics at the time. It was fucked up hard though and much more simulation-y than GTA. Cops would pull you over for speeding if they caught you doing it, it was pretty wild.

Bowlie

Banned
Jeff may be the greatest swordsman of our era.
mnltaa.gif

There was one mission in Mafia where you had to win a formula 1 race and it was the most fucked up hard thing ever. If you made a single mistake you were done for, and the car was SUPER squirrely. I probably spent hours beating it because I was like 13 or 14 or something when it came out.

They later released a patch that let you just skip that mission I think.

That's my Mafia 1 story. I absolutely loved it when it came out, it was one of the first games post-MGS with similarly cinematic ambitions and gorgeous graphics at the time. It was fucked up hard though and much more simulation-y than GTA. Cops would pull you over for speeding if they caught you doing it, it was pretty wild.

I have nightmarish memories of that racing level. I think I was only able to beat it using some kind of exploit that let you skip 90% of the track because yeah, the controls were absolutely fucked.

I still loved that game though. It made a solid effort at including mission designs that went beyond the typical murderous death march like assassinations, races, a bank heist, etc. Story and characters were great. Menu theme was great. And it had a cool post-game free roam mode that I remember as having lots of weird crazy shit.

I have nightmarish memories of that racing level. I think I was only able to beat it using some kind of exploit that let you skip 90% of the track because yeah, the controls were absolutely fucked.

I still loved that game though. It made a solid effort at including mission designs that went beyond the typical murderous death march like assassinations, races, a bank heist, etc. Story and characters were great. Menu theme was great. And it had a cool post-game free roam mode that I remember as having lots of weird crazy shit.

Wow that song is bringing back memories. I remember the ending kind of fucking me up too. Games didn't really do that kind of thing back then and I was young and impressionable. And I like that in Mafia 2 that's just another mission like nbd, great callback.

KingKong

Is it too cynical to think there's a reason they weren't showing actual No Mans Sky gameplay before? Considering that was the best they could do with a combat trailer, it doesn't inspire confidence

Is it too cynical to think there's a reason they weren't showing actual No Mans Sky gameplay before? Considering that was the best they could do with a combat trailer, it doesn't inspire confidence

No Mans Sky isn't about the combat

If you go into No Mans Sky thinking it'll control like Destiny or Call of Duty, then that's..the wrong expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom