• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Those look really cool. I've been wanting to get myself a zaku or a Gouf, but I'm worried about messing something up during the build.

edit:
2665538-kgmx.gif

Those look really cool. I've been wanting to get myself a zaku or a Gouf, but I'm worried about messing something up during the build.

I was worried about the same thing, but with the Real Grade ones I got there was no painting, and if you get a couple of the right tools (that are pretty cheap) it's really not that bad, and the directions are easy to follow even though they're not in English. They were the perfect thing to do with my hands while watching GB/Twitch content.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So I'm watching my third MLB The Show quicklook tonight...

Man these games haven't changed since 2013... Same animations, same thing happening all the time it's crazy how identical those games are except for the graphics obviously getting better every year.

Also Jeff does the same jokes every year lol

I think 16 was the first of the PS4 ones to actually feel like a PS4 game. I don't remember where I heard this, but apparently it was the first to game to be fully envisioned and created in post-PS4 release world. I guess they were on their way to finishing 14 and doing preliminary stuff for 15 when PS4 launched in November 2013.

My big wish for a future game is to allow for a stadium builder. I spent hours in that mode in EA's NCAA MVP Baseball 06 (the year after they lost the MLB license to 2K). You created the dimensions, the size of the wall, etc. In the previous game, MVP Baseball 2005, they had a pretty cool stadium builder (with much less creative control) in which you could expand the capacity and improve the features and amenities of you ballpark as your franchise team grew bigger. If they could bring a combination of those features to MLB The Show, I would be one happy guy.

Here is MVP 06 NCAA's stadium builder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83D0ZS573vs
Here is MVP 2005 stadium builder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=126CnBLPL-s

If they could combine that with true custom team creations for franchise mode (especially for custom online leagues), that would be incredible.

I was worried about the same thing, but with the Real Grade ones I got there was no painting, and if you get a couple of the right tools (that are pretty cheap) it's really not that bad, and the directions are easy to follow even though they're not in English. They were the perfect thing to do with my hands while watching GB/Twitch content.

Thats reassuring, thanks. Gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a kit when I get paid.

kiguel182

There's so many 20-30 dollar games out and coming out now that I want to play like Inside, Quadrliateral Cowboy, and Abzu. But I just keep playing Overwatch instead

That's what's happening to me. I need to start limiting my Overwatch play or else I'm not playing anything else.

That's what's happening to me. I need to start limiting my Overwatch play or else I'm not playing anything else.

I keep telling myself I'll take a break when I hit competitive lvl 50, but I'm perpetually in 48-49 range. I'm beginning to believe the game is aware of my intentions. Once I was at 49 and on a winning streak and it suddenly crashes in a new match, penalizes for dropping, and puts me back down to 47.

Volotaire

Just bought ocarina of time...heard good things about that game.

Anything i should know before jumping in?

Which version, 3D or the N64/Virtual Console/Collector's Edition GC port?

I'm not sure on how to advise other than that if you save and quit/die inside a dungeon, you will respawn at the dungeon's entrance.

Do as many side-quests as you feel necessary (don't go out to do them all). There are a few optional items and songs that are fun to get. Explore.

Each dungeon will have a compass, map and boss key.

Also, have you played other LoZ games before?

strafer

Which version, 3D or the N64/Virtual Console/Collector's Edition GC port?

I'm not sure on how to advise other than that if you save and quit/die inside a dungeon, you will respawn at the dungeon's entrance.

Do as many side-quests as you feel necessary (don't go out to do them all). There are a few optional items and songs that are fun to get. Explore.

Also, have you played other LoZ games before?

Gamecube.

And no, never touched a Zelda game before.

Volotaire

Gamecube.

And no, never touched a Zelda game before.

Oh, have you got a 3DS? It might be worth investing into the 3DS version because of the accessibility upgrades and the game being at a stable 30FPS.

Is it the one with the Wind Waker disc or is it the one with Zelda 1, Zelda 2, OoT and MM on 1 disc? The former has an extra game called 'Master Quest' which completley changes the format and structure of the dungeons (apart from the main and boss room of each dungeon).

EDIT: Be prepared for 1 20FPS framerate in most cases. It might take a lot of time to adjusting. Secondly, if you're in PAL land and have a PAL copy, this game is indeed available in 60HZ.

I would also recommend to practice L targeting before you do any combat, because it is essential. Any enemy you face or character you want to talk to, use L targeting.

strafer

Oh, have you got a 3DS? It might be worth investing into the 3DS version because of the accessibility upgrades and the game being at a stable 30FPS.

Is it the one with the Wind Waker disc or is it the one with Zelda 1, Zelda 2, OoT and MM on 1 disc? The former has an extra game called 'Master Quest' which completley changes the format and structure of the dungeons (apart from the main and boss room of each dungeon).

Can you hook that shit up to a tv? I'm not a fan of playing on an handheld.

Volotaire

Can you hook that shit up to a tv? I'm not a fan of playing on an handheld.

There is a way, but the capture cards for 3DS cost something up to 250 dollars.

Other tips:

Dungeons are you main area where you will tackle puzzles and enemies. There are dungeons and half dungeons in the game, and hidden 'few room' areas as well. Look for unusual features or crackable walls in the overworld or dungeons, they could have secrets.

You can revisit dungeons after you have completed them if you wish to grab any missed secrets you missed in there. Enemies will respawn if you come back in a room except for bosses and mini bosses. Each dungeon will have both. Minibosses usually signal you are mid way in the dungeon.

The dungeons get a lot more interesting after the first three.

I'm bored in work. Here's what's wrong with Giant Bomb and why I feel it's in a bit of a lull at the moment.

Splitting the team
Unavoidable, but Vinny and Jeff are the two special ingredients, and having them apart really does hurt the site. East are doing a good job carving out their own identity, but it always feels like everything they do would be so much better with Jeff and Brad there too.

Loss of great personalities
With Ryan's death, Patrick moving away and joining Kotaku, and Dave going to live out in the wilderness and grow his beard some more, the site lost 3 of the key personalities who produced a large amount of the best content. You also can't grab someone like Will Smith to just hop on a show randomly now.

Weakest line-up yet
In addition to losing some of the best personalities, they've been replaced by the weakest to join thus far. Dan, Jason and Austin are all likeable guys and entertaining in their own ways, but they're not in the same league as the OG guys and the members who have left. Dan can be annoying, Jason is usually quite boring and Austin could get a bit pretentious.

Shift in culture/focus
With the move to CBSi, the "around the office" content has pretty much dried up completely, other than mailbags and some GOTY skits. Part of the appeal of Giant Bomb was always just them putting some random as shit video up, but that's not happened in a long time. They're focused on just traditional video output now.

Stale schedule / Lack of great premium shows / Not enough output
TNT and Happy Hour were kept going until they died a slow, painful, dull death and the same is true for Unprofessional Fridays now. The game selection is questionable at best, half the time the guys don't look like they want to be there, and it's more often than not a 2 hour chill out at the end of the week more than anything else.

The best premium shows are for the most part finished (Load Our Last Save, Random PC Game, Breaking Brad, Spookin' With Scoops, Spelunkin With Scoops) and there aren't enough good ones replacing them.

We need a lot more shows, produced regularly, with a better schedule. For the amount of games in the world, there are endless possibilities, but a lot of the week is quiet. Not everything has to be a 90min video, why not try to create some shorter content to fill the gaps. Even "Quick" looks are no longer those type of videos. Back in the day they'd throw together loads of random videos, from Scrub Leagues to retro game marathons, etc.

----

Giant Bomb is still 3* but I miss the days of it being 5*. If you can somehow find some better personalities (Danny and Mary please) and get some more fresh content flowing, that would solve a lot of the problems going on right now I feel.

E3 and GOTY coverage still can't be faulted however. It's not surprising that's when the whole team is together...

Jintor

i agree largely except about austin and jason, who I think were great additions, and Dan, who I also think is a great addition but has a tendency to dominate any content he falls into.

Meguro

Banned
I'm sorry but everytime I see someone use the word "pretentious" sincerely to describe Austin my eyes start to glaze over and I lose focus on whatever else that person writes.

jgminto

I wonder if I'll ever finish a 3D Zelda type game, they're so damn long. Okami would be such an awesome game if it had good pacing, I doubt I'll ever finish it.

i agree largely except about austin and jason, who I think were great additions, and Dan, who I also think is a great addition but has a tendency to dominate any content he falls into.

Don't get me wrong, they're better than most, but they're not in the same league as those before them.

Maiorum

I agree with almost everything you said, but come on, Jason, Dan, and Austin are atleast Dave-tier. They might not be Ryan-tier, but they aren't Patrick-tier either.

Strax

Long ass post

I think there is almost nothing in this post I agree with.

If I had to pick the 3 I'd want on GB out of Ryan, Dave, Patrick, Dan, Jason and Austin I'd pick Dan, Jason and Patrick (and have him in NY). I did not care for any of the premium shows you liked the most. The shows they do now are the best content they've done.

I do agree that they lack a schedule. If not schedule I'd like to know what they are aiming for. Something like "In August we will try to have 4 UPFs, one Demo Derby and one Game Tapes, one...." Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom