• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's in bad taste to rank the Duders, but it does feel like the site is in a funk right now. Looking up Whiskey-era content last night, there were fun streams and premium content popping off all over the place.

I think it's in bad taste to rank the Duders, but it does feel like the site is in a funk right now. Looking up Whiskey-era content last night, there were fun streams and premium content popping off all over the place.

Why is it in bad taste? It's a personality driven site and everyone has preferences.

Everything in my post is polite, I've just outlined the changes I don't like.

demidar

I think there is almost nothing in this post I agree with.

If I had to pick the 3 I'd want on GB out of Ryan, Dave, Patrick, Dan, Jason and Austin I'd pick Dan, Jason and Patrick (and have him in NY). I did not care for any of the premium shows you liked the most. The shows they do now are the best content they've done.

I do agree that they lack a schedule. If not schedule I'd like to know what they are aiming for. Something like "In August we will try to have 4 UPFs, one Demo Derby and one Game Tapes, one...." Etc.

VRodeo and Demo Derby have been great and Game Tapes is super interesting. UPF can be hit and miss. HitDan has been great as well (it's not officially a feature but it might as well be).

Scanlon was a wild ride until they reached V.

Meguro

Banned
I do agree that UPF needs to either be put on break, get a makeover or be taken out back.
That feature has not been consistently good since like....ever.

Myggen

I like UPF *shrug*

Anyways, I will be without internet for a full week from now. Don't know how I'll survive. At least I'll have a Demo Derby when I get home.

See:

None of this is polite. This is you being shitty to people.

Maybe that line isn't "polite" but I also don't think it's being "shitty" to them. I'm just discussing aspects of their personality I don't like on a forum.

Again, it's a personality driven site. You need to be able to have your personality discussed.

KingKong

Yeah, I don't know what else people are expecting. It's a livestream where they play video games on a video game website. What else could they be doing?

I think its fair to hope that they think more about what kinds of games to bring, or maybe play more random stuff from mailbags like all those weird board games

Meguro

Banned
I know it's kinda the point of the show (hence the Unprofessional in the title) but it just feels so thrown together sometimes.
Remember when Brad couldn't get his game to work and played Agar.io for what felt like the entirety of UPF?
Stuff like that and just the general weak selection of games makes it unappealing to me.

I know it's kinda the point of the show (hence the Unprofessional in the title) but it just feels so thrown together sometimes.
Remember when Brad couldn't get his game to work and played Agar.io for what felt like the entirety of UPF?
Stuff like that and just the general weak selection of games makes it unappealing to me.

Yeah, it started off really cool, with them playing games they loved on retro consoles, or sitting down and watching a speedrun and discussing all the aspects of it.

Now it feels like they consider it a chore, they nearly always look bored. Any good games they do pick they cut away from as soon as it starts to get interesting.

You could do so many different types of shows, it's a waste that the only premium content we get on a Friday is a stale show.

Yeah, I don't know what else people are expecting. It's a livestream where they play video games on a video game website. What else could they be doing?

I still like UPF and look forward to watching every week. The only times I'm "disappointed" with the show is when they do anything with phones or phone games, including playing Jackbox which has long overstayed its welcome.

Myggen

Yeah, it started off really cool, with them playing games they loved on retro consoles, or sitting down and watching a speedrun and discussing all the aspects of it.

Now it feels like they consider it a chore, they nearly always look bored. Any good games they do pick they cut away from as soon as it starts to get interesting.

You could do so many different types of shows, it's a waste that the only premium content we get on a Friday is a stale show.

I disagree with this. I don't get at all that it "feels like they consider it a chore", that seems more like you're projecting a bit. And by and large I really like UPF. It still seems like one of their most popular shows, both the live version and the archive, so a lot of people obviously still likes it.

TOGS would solve all of Giant Bomb's current woes.

Now to change topics entirely, that Necropolis QL was surprisingly great. Had no idea it was breakneck grimdark/comedy thing on top of a mediocre pile of repetition, but Vinny and Alex managed to make it... an interesting journey nontheless.

Shame that Harebrained Schemes continues to fumble all of the technical aspects of their games. Like, as great as their Shadowrun stuff is, they are a mess mechanically, always feeling very clunky and wrong in the most fundamental of ways. It's really the writing that goes the distance to redeem them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I feel like we have the "GB is on the decline" talk every year during the summer drought. Though I have to admit I stopped watching UPF a long time ago unless people here praise it.

I'm still hoping for Blight Club. I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching fun people play bad games, Jeff and Alex in particular.

I think it's easy to get that impression looking back but there's always been complaining about the premium content output, justified or not. Particularly with the live shows. Back in those days I think people complained more about Whiskey Media Happy Hour than about UPF nowadays haha. Same with TNT.

Austin was S-tier. I do agree the lineup feels stale. Sometimes it feels like Jeff/Dan, Brad/Dan, and Vinny/Alex are the only three pairings on the site.

I think it's easy to get that impression looking back but there's always been complaining about the premium content output, justified or not. Particularly with the live shows. Back in those days I think people complained more about Whiskey Media Happy Hour than about UPF nowadays haha. Same with TNT.

It's because all 3 shows started as a good idea and then lasted for too long and went stale.

I feel like Agent 47 being hired to murder people just because the target can't be fired is a bit fucked up. Like, he is usually killing straight-up villains, right? Usually?

Now he's killing two film stars just because they're being difficult.

Santar

As I've said many times before I think Giant bombs biggest problem is that they never stick to a schedule. We never know when a new old games show, danswers (which supposedly started season 2 months ago, only never to be heard from again), game tapes, demo derby etc.
I mean sure it's great for the duders, to just do stuff when they want to, but it's a bit frustrating as a fan of the site to never know when or if a show is coming back.

I also wish they'd actually do a show about stuff they get in the mailbags. Like if they got amiga stuff, then they could do a amiga show and try out some of that stuff etc.
It's a bit ironic that usually folks send in stuff to the site to give it a better home, only for it to be stashed away and never used there either.

I love UPF. At worst it's a good thing to put up on my second screen, and it sometimes has really high highs. Either way it's a good way to wind down the week with a beer, it's laid back.

As I've said many times before I think Giant bombs biggest problem is that they never stick to a schedule. We never know when a new old games show, danswers (which supposedly started season 2 months ago, only never to be heard from again), game tapes, demo derby etc.
I mean sure it's great for the duders, to just do stuff when they want to, but it's a bit frustrating as a fan of the site to never know when or if a show is coming back.

I also wish they'd actually do a show about stuff they get in the mailbags. Like if they got amiga stuff, then they could do a amiga show and try out some of that stuff etc.
It's a bit ironic that usually folks send in stuff to the site to give it a better home, only for it to be stashed away and never used there either.

Jeff straight up said on the... I think it was that video with Greg Miller? that he doesn't want to stick to a schedule with content. He gave his reasons for why. He likes to have stuff like UPF and Bombcast be scheduled content, but everything else is more free

Jintor

I feel like Agent 47 being hired to murder people just because the target can't be fired is a bit fucked up. Like, he is usually killing straight-up villains, right? Usually?

Now he's killing two film stars just because they're being difficult.

Dude's an assassin.

Honestly di is giving too much info about the contacts these days

Jeff straight up said on the... I think it was that video with Greg Miller? that he doesn't want to stick to a schedule with content. He gave his reasons for why. He likes to have stuff like UPF and Bombcast be scheduled content, but everything else is more free

The problem is with stuff being "free" there's less content on a weekly basis than there should be. There's no reason why there can't be a premium video every day, especially with two teams.

I agree with the guy you quoted, SOME form of a schedule would be good.

Dude's an assassin.

Honestly di is giving too much info about the contacts these days

right I'm just saying. obviously 47 is kind of messed up either way but ya know, those games always had a "you're the only straight guy in a world of ridiculous arseholes" which I feel this betrays

it's not a dealbreaker by any means

Zaph

Scheduling has never really been an issue for me with GB. The only thing I really miss from the WM days is that it felt more random - one morning Vinny and Dave might come in early and we would get a live random pc game; Ryan would buy a big old box of games from ebay and they'd go through them sight unseen; one of the engineers would be on a live show for no real reason, etc.

Given they're no longer an independent company with lots of people around them, it makes sense those things would change.

Aside from that, their content is still great, so I dunno - GB is basically unrivalled on the internet.

right I'm just saying. obviously 47 is kind of messed up either way but ya know, those games always had a "you're the only straight guy in a world of ridiculous arseholes" which I feel this betrays

it's not a dealbreaker by any means
I think at some point IO got fed up trying to shoe horn a dude in a game called 'Hitman' to be morally grey. You're either down with the murder or not.

Austin could get a bit pretentious.

tumblr_nexcveN3NP1qgapqso4_500.gif

Austin was too good for this site. Also, I feel like Dan has been responsible for some of the best content on the site.

Santar

I love UPF. At worst it's a good thing to put up on my second screen, and it sometimes has really high highs. Either way it's a good way to wind down the week with a beer, it's laid back.

I know this, doesn't mean I can't say that I think it's a bad idea.

I think at some point IO got fed up trying to shoe horn a dude in a game called 'Hitman' to be morally grey. You're either down with the murder or not.

That's fair. Whatever satirical edge this Hitman might have lost is more than made up by, like, literally the entire rest of the game, at least.

justjim89

See, I think the past few years of the site from the introduction of Dan and Jason through all of Austin's tenure is the best Giant Bomb had ever been. Better than the Ryan Days, much better than the Whiskey days, even better than their time at Gamespot when I grew up watching Ryan, Jeff, and Rich. Things on the GBEast side have obviously slowed down in light of Austin's departure, but that's to be expected. But sometimes I'll go back and watch old Happy Hour's or TNT's and feel glad about the era of Giant Bomb that we're in.

Scizzy

A few weeks ago, Jeff came up with "Pizza the Action" off the top of his head and just said, "it's Brad and the answer is obvious." In between, Dan diagnosed himself through Sean Connery lines from The Rock, Brad stood still after shooting a man for no reason, and we got over an hour of Red Dead Redemption.

In other words, Giant Bomb is still great.

To sum up the last few pages, Austin leaving and lack of Rorie content has ruined Giant Bomb. So here's another Dan/Jeff QL of some game no one cares about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom