• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is saying it's 'hybrid' but it's not really, it is just a handheld. Which is cool,

this is where I am. give me a nintendo handheld with a non-crap screen and optional video out
and region free please
and that's all I need from them. first time i've been excited about new nintendo hardware in a long time.

Technically true, but if the TV dongle allows for extra features not on the handheld unit (like multiple controllers), I think it's fair to call that a hybrid.

I will be honest, I expected a console priority with handheld feature but a handheld priority with console feature is much better for me and a more justifiable purchase considering I will likely stick with Sony or Microsoft for console.

I am excited to get my hands on this, especially with the full force of Nintendo first party behind it. New full scale Zelda and new full scale Mario on the go? Wow!

I am excited to get my hands on this, especially with the full force of Nintendo first party behind it. New full scale Zelda and new full scale Mario on the go? Wow!

Yeah this is where I'm at. Assuming they're using the latest (or even a new) Tegra chip, it will be considerably more powerful than a WiiU. I am afraid for battery life, however.

Zaph

I will be honest, I expected a console priority with handheld feature but a handheld priority with console feature is much better for me and a more justifiable purchase considering I will likely stick with Sony or Microsoft for console.

Yup. This is literally exactly what I wanted. I've mostly skipped Nintendo consoles because the library wasn't enough to warrant entire hardware, but now having it all unified? Perfect. And if that means WiiU-esque graphics at 1080p? Fine with that, my PC is for third party stuff anyway.

Assuming Nintendo doesn't end up shitting the bed somehow, I think this'll be my first day-one purchase since the X360.

repeater

q1uEqIY.jpg
I.. is that a 'shop? Lang is literally floating in the air.

justjim89

What a day. NX news, Boyes joining IG, live Bombcast to discuss it all, and I just got my first PotG in Overwatch in my 50th match.

It's gonna be a good day.

Now I'm even more excited for the live Bombcast today.

Hopefully all of Nintendo's future games will come out on this, instead of splitting teams across the Wii U and the 3DS in the past.

Plus if they want to make smaller games they can start to make some great things on mobile.

Exciting times.

Also Adam Boyes news is cool.

I am shocked. SHOCKED! Johnny V wasnt the one who ended up at Iron Galaxy.

Whatever makes Boyes happy I guess. Iron Galaxy's PR people are probably stoked their CEO i=wont be a drunk mess infront of a camera every gaming event.

The NX news is absolutely fascinating but I'm afraid there are a lot of people making assumptions about how it will be when there just isn't enough information, still rumor and speculation. However this does count towards the idea that this will be a unified console, no 3DS this year, which could be news for having an absurd library.

I really hope the two controller thing isn't a required, built in component of on the go gaming. I rarely would have use of the second controller and would hate to have the extra weight.

The NX reports nail the most important thing, which is allowing all of Nintendo's core games to be playable on a single platform. Western third parties aren't coming back, so doubling down on Nintendo's great strength is the only sensible decision.

As someone who primarily associates Nintendo with their handhelds, I'm very happy.

Zaph

Aren't they the only option for handhelds now that the Vita is dead?

Pretty much, which is why this is so awesome. I don't mind mobile games, but it's good to see the only real competition for it double-down.

I will freak the fuck out if they reveal an NX exclusive Devil Survivor 3.

SomberOwl

So if the NX is a handheld and a home console and unifies the platforms for Nintendo what does this mean for the games? Will we get 3DS type games on the NX and console games too?

I'm mainly curious as to what the former 3DS games / franchises like Pokemon will do going forward? Pokemon for example, will they still make smaller games like they always have for handhelds for the NX or will they use the power and actually make that full on console version of their handheld games that people have wanted forever? Or will we just get the same handheld games that they have always made but can now be played on a TV as well.

So if the NX is a handheld and a home console and unifies the platforms for Nintendo what does this mean for the games? Will we get 3DS type games on the NX and console games too?

This'll be anyone's guess because we still don't know if these rumors are accurate, or even what Nintendo's plan for the console is.

I'm mainly curious as to what the former 3DS games / franchises like Pokemon will do going forward? Pokemon for example, will they still make smaller games like they always have for handhelds for the NX or will they use the power and actually make that full on console version of their handheld games that people have wanted forever? Or will we just get the same handheld games that they have always made but can now be played on a TV as well.

I think the handheld/lower budget selection will be similar scope but with better visuals and at a higher resolution.

3DS games are looking real ropey in 2016.

Xater

I don't understand the question. If Nintendo will only have one system going forward because splitting the development ressources was stupid and a hybrid prevents them from having to decide between mobile and home console. So of course Pokemon and stuff will come to it. Not suing the hardware would be fucking stupid.

So, how are Bombcast threads going to be done? Posted after the live show is over or during the live show?

The live show is for premium members only so it wouldn't be a good idea I think.

I'm sure the thread starters will include links to the YouTube video that goes up after.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe i'm just completely burnt out on Metroidvanias, but I'm really not seeing 'it' with Headlander.

doesn't help that I think Doublefine's fake 'old timey' art style is almost always bad looking

popo

Why are ppl (in the main thread) all "I told you NX was going to be a hybrid and nobody would listen". I mean, it was the rumour ever since the existence of the NX got leaked. People were talking about Nintendo unifying the platforms before the 3DS came out.

That rumour about no BC makes sense but some fans are going to be salty as fuck if that turns out to be correct. Can't wait for the tears.

Wow I'm really surprised by how striking Headlander looks. The lighting is stunning. Great style, and a fresh gameplay gimmick. Looks like a purchase.

I'm having trouble understanding the NX and that thread is moving too fast. So long as I can treat it 100% as a regular console I'll be happy. It sounds as if any touch screen or dual screen business is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom