• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

I wish to express my strong dislike for early access open world survival games. Fuck they all suck.

Now Hitman, this game is amazing. I've started playing it thanks to Dan and Brad and it's fun fun fun.

I was impressed with the We Happy Few intro at E3 but now it just seems really sophomoric and obvious, like "oh we just read 1984 for the first time". The visual style is neat tho.

While We Happy Few doesn't look particularly fun and seems pretty bad game play-wise... They did manage to trick me into caring about a first-person-rogue-like-survival-game for a little while, which none of the other 2 dozen popular games in Early Access were able to do. Hopefully Compulsion Games is able to sell enough copies to stick around because between this game and Contrast that studio definitely has a neat art style and will take risks, even if they don't always stick the landing. I would like to see more work from them in the future as they mature as a studio.

Xater

While We Happy Few doesn't look particularly fun and seems pretty bad game play-wise... They did manage to trick me into caring about a first-person-rogue-like-survival-game for a little while, which none of the other 2 dozen popular games in Early Access were able to do. Hopefully Compulsion Games is able to sell enough copies to stick around because between this game and Contrast that studio definitely has a neat art style and will take risks, even if they don't always stick the landing. I would like to see more work from them in the future as they mature as a studio.

This game is from the studio that made Contrast? Man I thought Contrast was terrible. The art was the only thing that stood out from that one as well. Had I known that before my interest would have gone to negative levels immediately.

This game is from the studio that made Contrast? Man I thought Contrast was terrible. The art was the only thing that stood out from that one as well. Had I known that before my interest would have gone to negative levels immediately.

Yeah, I really liked the art style of Contrast, but I remember the game-play being pretty lack-luster. I looked it up, and they're only a studio of like 20 people which makes me more impressed with what they were able to accomplish visually in these 2 games. I really think if they could get a good gameplay/story to merge with their awesome design and visual style then they could really have something special on their hands.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I've been thinking, I hope the unification of Nintendo's handheld and console platforms doesn't mean we won't get a 2D-style Zelda on the NX.
This is a big question in general for them. Will they continue to make "handheld games" and "TV games" or will it all end up being similar in scope and price?

As someone who enjoys 2D Zelda way more than any of the 3D ones I am with you.
Ideally, we will still get the 2D-style Zelda game and have the added benefit of more power and being able to play it on the TV as well. Worst case, there's no 2D Zelda in development at all.
This is a big question in general for them. Will they continue to make "handheld games" and "TV games" or will it all end up being similar in scope and price?
I hope they don't make the PSP/Vita mistake of assuming the goal of a handheld is to be nothing more than a console on-the-go.

Meguro

Banned
So it's a Beastcast post-Austin?
I would say I kid but man, it's been kinda rough for a bit.
And I say that as someone who thought Beastcast > Bombcast.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They really need another person on the beastcast. Not sure why they don't have guests, they are in New York ffs.

Ideally, we will still get the 2D-style Zelda game and have the added benefit of more power and being able to play it on the TV as well. Worst case, there's no 2D Zelda in development at all.

I hope they don't make the PSP/Vita mistake of assuming the goal of a handheld is to be nothing more than a console on-the-go.
Yeah...
I'm way more into a decently powered Nintendo handheld with a non-gimmicky display and the games to match it than what they've been doing on Wii and WiiU (with some great exceptions of course).

Scizzy

They really need another person on the beastcast. Not sure why they don't have guests, they are in New York ffs.

Totally agree. With just three people, every conversation has the same rhythm and I find my attention wandering, even with these short casts.

It feels to me lately that the Beastcast is constantly trying to launch into a "bit," someone will say something about a game and then another member will try and riff off of that. It leads to it being difficult for someone to get their entire thoughts out about a game/subject without being interrupted, I don't think people get interrupted as much on the Bombcast and maybe they have longer discussions/podcasts because of it. I never really noticed until about a month or two ago and now it's very apparent to me when it does happen. With that being said, I still really enjoy both podcasts, so I don't want anyone to think I'm hating on the shows.

The Beastcast is like 50% bits that go on for far too long or were not good to begin with. It's always been this way but without Austin the balance is more off than it's ever been.

KingKong

Nothing about We Happy Few makes any sense. It's like some kind of weird tax writeoff scheme.

They make what's basically a fake trailer, somehow show it at the Microsoft E3 show and then launch the game as an early access title

And the game is some weird open world procedural game with narrative tacked on.

We Happy Few looks cool until you actually have to play it, lol.

I honestly think the comedy bits mostly come from how much Vinny seems to like the McElroys. The style of humor he tries to launch into feels really similar to MBMBAM.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I hope they get around and play Ghost of a Tale. That game is legit. Maybe the most polished Early Access game I've ever seen. Also, the art style of the game really reminds me of Witcher 2. Only with Mice and Rats

Mr. F

Banned
Im glad there's room for dissenting opinion on the structure of the Beastcast. It's been irritating having news or someone's thoughts derailed completely to launch into shitty bits or characters, I felt kind of bad for Bakalar last week trying to work through his list of NHL features and getting interrupted every step of the way. Makes things drag on forever.

I think Vinny needs a moderator in the form of a new host. With him being the one most prone to start a bit while also being in control of how long segments go, it gets tiring.

Edit; not to say I don't like the show, just feel it needs to be reigned in a bit. Four people was a good balance.

I was impressed with the We Happy Few intro at E3 but now it just seems really sophomoric and obvious, like "oh we just read 1984 for the first time". The visual style is neat tho.

I was ahead of the curve I guess. E3 vid did nothing for me

Same, I wasn't really understanding the hype - the whole thing conceptually feels like low hanging fruit. Kind of comes off as an essay written for a high school class studying Brave New World or something.

Meneses

I don't know, I kinda like the Bitscast.

I get my news commentary and more straightforward stuff from the Bombcast, so a wackier thing is fine with me.

ArjanN

And the game is some weird open world procedural game with narrative tacked on.

We Happy Few looks cool until you actually have to play it, lol.

I think the actual game actually might have more potential than the intro stuff, especially once it's further along. The intro stuff is interesting from a narrative standpoint, but it's also just the typical quasi-interactive cutscene you see in almost every mainstream AAA game.

Scizzy

I think Vinny needs a moderator in the form of a new host. With him being the one most prone to start a bit while also being in control of how long segments go, it gets tiring.

While I'm not as negative, I would like to see how it sounds with Alex hosting. He does a great job with the Power Bombcast.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
We Happy Few looks like a bad idea for a game that no one realized was bad until about halfway through and they already spent years of their lives on the game, so they just went with it

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't dislike the idea of a survival game with a story. Actually that's probably the only thing to get me interested in survival games. Not into the idea of either just playing to die or playing until it get's boring cause you have everything you need. But I'd rather wait for The Long Dark. Happy Few just doesn't look that...interesting

We Happy Few doesn't look great. I wasn't sold when I saw the trailer during E3, and even now that I've seen gameplay it doesn't seem like anything I want. Sure, I've only seen the Alpha at this point, but the game feels convoluted. It really doesn't seem to have a grasp of what it wants to be, but that may change as the months go on.

We Happy Few is giving me Brutal Legend vibes of "switcharoo - this is what the game really is suckers"

Did they only announce it was a survival game recently? Because if you have to hide what the game actually is, maybe thats a sign you are making something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom