• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

The Beastcast is like 50% bits that go on for far too long or were not good to begin with. It's always been this way but without Austin the balance is more off than it's ever been.

This is honestly how I've felt about the Beastcast for a while, even before Austin left. Haven't really listened to it in months except for if there was something in particular I wanted to hear. It was better with Austin, but it just doesn't work as well. I feel like Jeff G can play off of Vinny's bits, whereas it doesn't work as well with Alex and Jeff B. Not that I don't love the Beast guys, they're great. But sometimes it feels like they're trying to be funny with the things they're talking about, instead of just talking about it and letting the humor come naturally. Still love their video content though

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Did they only announce it was a survival game recently? Because if you have to hide what the game actually is, maybe thats a sign you are making something wrong.

No, I knew what it was way before E3. There was a demo out when the game was on Kickstarter, not sure if it was public though or just for some youtubers. I remember seeing Jim Sterling play it months ago.

This is honestly how I've felt about the Beastcast for a while, even before Austin left. Haven't really listened to it in months except for if there was something in particular I wanted to hear. It was better with Austin, but it just doesn't work as well. I feel like Jeff G can play off of Vinny's bits, whereas it doesn't work as well with Alex and Jeff B. Not that I don't love the Beast guys, they're great. But sometimes it feels like they're trying to be funny with the things they're talking about, instead of just talking about it and letting the humor come naturally. Still love their video content though

Vinny isn't a good host and he derails and overpowers the conversation far too often. It's a shame as he is a genuinely funny person, just not when it's forced.

Fantastapotamus

While I agree with some criticisms of the Beastcast I honestly think people really overestimate Austin's influence. The Beastcast was like that from the beginning.

Mr. F

Banned
While I agree with some criticisms of the Beastcast I honestly think people really overestimate Austin's influence. The Beastcast was like that from the beginning.

I don't know, the bits were at least balanced out with worthwhile discussion on some lesser-covered stuff in the GB scheme of things (Alison Rapp, race/class in The Division, Baldur's Gate trans character, etc). That those got the spotlight in the news segments speaks to Austin's influence.

28556209391_30ff570feb_o.png

bugs_life_computer_desktop_background_wallpaper

full size (1872 x 1440) Download = https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8803/28556209391_30ff570feb_o.png

Strax

Eh it was like that close to beginning. When Austin was a few weeks in the % of bits go much much higher.

Can I solicit some opinions on the latest Stupid Thing that I think I need? I play PC games on a projector from my couch and while I love my Steam controller, I've been looking for a good KBaM solution. Steiger Dynamics makes these:

Anybody use something similar before?

KingKong

the funniest thing about the latest mailbag is that they're doing this in an office full of other people quietly trying to work

Zaph

Yeah, great mailbag. I loved the Vectrex - with all it's 1.5Mhz CPU and 1KB ram.

the funniest thing about the latest mailbag is that they're doing this in an office full of other people quietly trying to work

I'm sure the devs opposite loved Brad banging the BBQ sauce against the table.

Eh it was like that close to beginning. When Austin was a few weeks in the % of bits go much much higher.

Haven't heard the newest one, but yeah I'd agree. Not everything has to be a bit--the Beastcast is at its best when it isn't trying to force these things. It's like Vinny, Alex, and Austin all got into this cycle where they're trying to one-up eachother.

The Bombcast has the opposite problem where participants can seem very unengaged. This applies particularly to Drew and Dan, who are silent for what feels like 90% of podcasts. News segments also feel anemic, with very little real discussion going on for most topics--like they're just going through the motions.

There's this delicate balance of irrelevant banter vs. knowledgeable discourse that is a tough thing to hit in both cases. And unfortunately, I don't really have any good ideas that would improve the issue... because laying down hard rules of any kind, I imagine, would just make it feel even worse--as in, artificial.

Fantastapotamus

I don't know, the bits were at least balanced out with worthwhile discussion on some lesser-covered stuff in the GB scheme of things (Alison Rapp, race/class in The Division, Baldur's Gate trans character, etc). That those got the spotlight in the news segments speaks to Austin's influence.

How? Which news stories have the ignored? This is the third podcast since he left right? I really don't think one can look at those and say "Well, you can clearly see that since Austin left they don't talk about this anymore" when there really wasn't anything to talk about as far as I know? And there has only been one Beastcast before Austin joined.

Forgot to mention why the Bombcast's news segment feels so off. It's because GBeast has a really definitive edge vs. the Bombcast's news segments, always diving very deep into subjects with a thoughtful analysis, by all participants. And recently, it has been kinda amplified by the Bombcast's "let's wait and see" take on the CSGO gambling thing, as if saying gambling is bad was not an option for them. I was oddly caught off-guard by that. Though I don't remember the timeline, it might've been the day of, or day after, that it blew up.

How? Which news stories have the ignored? This is the third podcast since he left right? I really don't think one can look at those and say "Well, you can clearly see that since Austin left they don't talk about this anymore" when there really wasn't anything to talk about as far as I know? And there has only been one Beastcast before Austin joined.
I don't think it's unfair to say that the Beastcast, especially with Austin's presence, has covered a much broader range of ssues in gaming news that the Bombcast would never touch. At the very least, the Guest Contributor articles are a testament to Austin's interest in niche gaming issues, concepts, or happenings; and they never would have happened without him.

Remains to be seen if that will become less of a thing over time, but I'd like to think that having such a bent early on has made it part of the Beastcast's DNA.

ultron87

Friends at the Table has taken Beastcast's slot on my podcast rotation because I need that Austin. (Also because I'm on an indie RPG kick.)

jaina

The short Gang Beasts session at the end was actually entertaining and not a boring repeat like most of us expected

That raw No Man's Sky footage that leaked is pretty hot.

The music is so great, I haven't listened to 65daysofstatic for years. One of the best live acts I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom