• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
woah what is this business about dan leaving? can someone catch me up?

They had a fake fight between Jason and Dan which they settled with a scripted Street Fighter match and then Jason time travelled and teleported so he could film Dan leaving the building. It's all very believable.

get this: so is No Mans Sky

Well its all about messaging. We happy few was pegged as bioshockish with the way the first trailer went(which was compromised of the intro). Then it turns out its a..survival game complete with food and water meters. NMS, from the first trailer, was pegged as procedural.

Khezu

Soon everyone is going to move to the east coast.

All that will be left is Gertsmann in Petaluma playing comodore 64 games in his garage, and mixlr his trips to the safeway.

And it will still be better then anything the east coast can do.

justjim89

I ignore UPF to drink and play Fibbage with friends for one night and suddenly Dan is potentially leaving GBWest? The fuck? Hopefully it's just the RV trip. Dan leaving San Fran would be the worst thing for that corner of the site, easily.

Also, Jeff on NVC is great. Happy to see Jeff and Brian Altano on a podcast together, two of my favorites.

kAmui-

Is this Dan leaving thing for real or just a gag/speculation? Leaving for nyc or leaving for the rv trip with Johnny V? Don't have time to catch up on the last 10ish pages.

popo

Vinny on Reddit

Dan Ryckert, in celebration of our upcoming 10k subscriber milestone, has graciously agreed to host an AMA on our wonderful subreddit about a website about video games.

Am I crazy or were they not over 9000 subs before they moved to CBS? I am sure numbers were approaching 10k views on past premium streams.

I mean retaining subs is pretty good going these days but assuming they averaging $40 a year per sub (a lot are sold on "sale" and there is cost of the merch if not) then that likely isn't covering the west coast salaries.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Pretty sure that's not vinny, but a person with a flair of vinny.

Like, I can't even imagine vinny on reddit, let alone being a moderator of the giantbomb subreddit.

popo

Is this Dan leaving thing for real or just a gag/speculation? Leaving for nyc or leaving for the rv trip with Johnny V? Don't have time to catch up on the last 10ish pages.

They are deliberately not saying. I think the whole bit was dumb but if you are going to do it, then you might as well keep people guessing for at least the weekend.

The 5 most popular senarios seen to be

1. Dan is leaving. (for the WWE or Kinda Unfunny)

2. Dan is going on some dumb RV road trip that was mentioned in passing as a joke on twitter.

3, Dan is moving to NY.

4. Dan is on loan to NY for a while, until HR gets it's shit together.

5. Dan is an alien and has to return to his home planet.

I have ranked them in what I feel is the order of least probable to moist likely

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Vinny on Reddit

Am I crazy or were they not over 9000 subs before they moved to CBS? I am sure numbers were approaching 10k views on past premium streams.

I mean retaining subs is pretty good going these days but assuming they averaging $40 a year per sub (a lot are sold on "sale" and there is cost of the merch if not) then that likely isn't covering the west coast salaries.

These are SUBREDDIT Subscribers. It has nothing to do with who subscribes to the Giant Bomb website.

kAmui-

They are deliberately not saying. I think the whole bit was dumb but if you are going to do it, then you might as well keep people guessing for at least the weekend.

The 4 most popular senarios seen to be

1. They is leaving. (for the WWE or Kinda Unfunny)

2. Dan is going on some dumb RV road trip that was mentioned in passing as a joke on twitter.

3, Dan is moving to NY.

4. Dan is on loan to NY for a while, until HR gets it's shit together.

5. Dan is an alien and has to return to his home planet.

I have ranked them in what I feel is the order of least probable to moist likely

Thanks. I agree with the order. Based on the one quick look Dan would be a good addition to GBeast. Though west needs an idiot like Dan and east could use an intellectuel like Austin.

popo

These are SUBREDDIT Subscribers. It has nothing to do with who subscribes to the Giant Bomb website.

They are talking about subs to the GB subreddit

Yeah. That, too.

ah, that makes a lot more sense.

Someone posted it on the GB "Dan leaving" thread as from Vinny. I admit I never actually fact checked Vinny

Also, remember when I said there were a lot of gullible babies in here? After seeing some of the posts on GB reddit I take it back. You are sceptical mofos in comparison.

On a side note.

I wonder how many subs they are up to now. They used to give ballpark figures but I bet CBS would be cold on that even if they wanted to. I would hope 20-25k by now.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine it's that many to be honest. Just judging by some viewing and comment numbers. But I hope you're right.

pizzacat

Banned
On the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast Jeff was on he said that him and Dan are talking about what to do next that`s similar to the roller coaster video... so take that as you will.
Super Mario maker levels recreated in the 3D NES unity thing, played in VR, on a helicopter

zRzwYRJ.gif

kAmui-

I know why he can't be but I wish Jeff B. would be in more GBeast content.

They'll assimilate him soon enough. Latest beastcast reminded me about the time when Jeff in just about the first beastcast asked why they call them quick looks when they are so long :p

Salarians

Dan is starting a new site, "Big Explosion!", and is taking Danny, Mary, and Bakalar with him. Their first big feature will be attempting to play through the entirety of the Japanese release of Persona 5.

kAmui-

Dan is starting a new site, "Big Explosion!", and is taking Danny, Mary, and Bakalar with him. Their first big feature will be attempting to play through the entirety of the Japanese release of Persona 5.

Dan playing P5 would be either the best or the worst thing ever.

I'm pretty firmly in the "Dan to Beast" camp. I think this could expose Dan to Dragonball and Warhammer games in a fantastic way. I also think the potential interactions between him and Bakalar on the Beast cast will also be amazing.

Negatives, they'll need a third person to sit with Jeff and Danny on FIFA/European sports videos. Plus, the future of Mario Party Party becomes uncertain, maybe these become PAX events or something. As for Demo Derby, I think the gap between Jeff's knowledge of the era with Drew's inexperience is what makes that stuff good, so I think swapping out Dan for Brad is fine for that series. And they've done cross-country content before, so no reason why the Hitman stuff can't continue.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I had a dream last night. Vinny was leaving GB, to go join some sort of Game of Thrones production. I woke up in a panic. Calamity averted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom