• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a subscriber since the first few minutes that they started allowing them, but once you let ads start seeping in they'll only spread further. I'd have liked the guys to say something about this considering ad free videos and podcasts are still the advertised things on the premium upgrade page. Hopefully they'll change this or at least address it in the next few weeks as my membership is up in about a month and I won't be renewing if ad-free is no longer a feature. And for the "I love their ads!" brigade: That's cool, I'm glad you enjoy their silly ad reads. I don't. I pay them money to not get ads. Whatever premium videos we get are a cool bonus to that, but I pay for no ads.

Where are you getting ads?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've been a subscriber since the first few minutes that they started allowing them, but once you let ads start seeping in they'll only spread further. I'd have liked the guys to say something about this considering ad free videos and podcasts are still the advertised things on the premium upgrade page. Hopefully they'll change this or at least address it in the next few weeks as my membership is up in about a month and I won't be renewing if ad-free is no longer a feature. And for the "I love their ads!" brigade: That's cool, I'm glad you enjoy their silly ad reads. I don't. I pay them money to not get ads. Whatever premium videos we get are a cool bonus to that, but I pay for no ads.

The rationale in the article introducing the live recordings was this:

This will be a look at our live audio production process, raw and uncut. That means that you'll get some breaks in the broadcast, you'll hear the music get laid in live, and the ad breaks will be present in the live version of the video.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-giant-bombcast-live-and-in-color-starting-july/1100-5475/

ylggu7w.png

Bombcast livestream.

Hmm, seems a tad like an overreaction. Watching it live is completely optional and they give you an ad free version once it's been recorded. I'd hardly take it as an indication they'll put ads in other premium features, it's just a practicality thing.

kuppy

I mean Dan was already starting to get into the mindset of these YouTubers with all the Twitch streams he did from time to time. Clearly he and Patrick are gonna start a new Mario Maker YouTube Channel, RyckertvsKlepek. Their first battle will probably even make headlines on Fox News.

I don't remember people freaking out this much when they had ads during content before that premium members couldn't ignore... Weird that it's a sticking point now when it's in between actual content and you can mute/skip it (or wait till the podcast is published)... But that's just me...

2759542-screen+shot+2015-06-16+at+11.53.24+pm.jpg

Hmm, seems a tad like an overreaction. Watching it live is completely optional and they give you an ad free version once it's been recorded. I'd hardly take it as an indication they'll put ads in other premium features, it's just a practicality thing.

Completely agreed. Canceling over this is a huge overreaction.

Neodyn

I agree it's an overreaction, but once they can start slipping ads in behind the premium wall why wouldn't they continue it? They'll have to start justifying to someone above them eventually why there can't be ads in other premium stuff. Cancelling with a note why is the most effective protest I can make.

I don't remember people freaking out this much when they had ads during content before that premium members couldn't ignore... Weird that it's a sticking point now when it's in between actual content and you can mute/skip it... But that's just me...
I hated that too although I can understand why an actual event where they travel somewhere might require outside sponsorship.

Edit: I'm not saying anyone else should cancel. This is my own stupid hill to die on.

I agree it's an overreaction, but once they can start slipping ads in behind the premium wall why wouldn't they continue it? They'll have to start justifying to someone above them eventually why there can't be ads in other premium stuff. Cancelling with a note why is the most effective protest I can make.

I hated that too although I can understand why an actual event where they travel somewhere might require outside sponsorship.

Edit: I'm not saying anyone else should cancel. This is my own stupid hill to die on.

Vaya con dios. Y.....Live mas.

rs_560x415-130828154710-560.tacobell-logo.cm.82813.jpg

kuppy

So are people mad when GB advertises their premium membership sale during streams or god forbid if they mention it in the premium bombcast feed?

That's fair... I can respect your decision, especially since you don't want to push it on other people.

neshcom

Banned

I think a slippery slope argument for Giant Bomb and ads is pretty weak given their history of dealing with a premium model and being up-front, but you're welcome to interpret it as you see fit. Thanks for not pressuring others to cancel.

So you are canceling because of a live camera version of the bombcast is putting ads in so that everyone else doesn't have to wait hours and hours later and it's only because it's super convenient? I'm sorry dude, but that seems insane. Don't try and be a martyr, its not worth it. Just wait like two hours and enjoy the bombcast like you normally do and don't miss tons of stuff. No one is forcing you to watch the live version. I don't, I actually hate it, I think it's taking someone away from the conversation to run the cameras and more time to get it setup live too (but that is just me) But just don't watch if you want, I don't even consider it a premium feature. ads aren't going to seep in anywhere else, this is just a convince factor and from a production standpoint makes the most sense.

On that note, I'm going to change the subject... I miss Jar Time

So they didn't acknowledge the Dan bit at all? Are we full wrestling now? Don't like it.

Well from my limited experience with wrestling... We are all disappointed after a show has ended, which seems to be exactly how wrestling fans feel... So I guess we are!!!

Neodyn

I think a slippery slope argument for Giant Bomb and ads is pretty weak given their history of dealing with a premium model and being up-front, but you're welcome to interpret it as you see fit. Thanks for not pressuring others to cancel.
So you are canceling because of a live camera version of the bombcast is putting ads in so that everyone else doesn't have to wait hours and hours later and it's only because it's super convenient? I'm sorry dude, but that seems insane. Don't try and be a martyr, its not worth it. Just wait like two hours and enjoy the bombcast like you normally do and don't miss tons of stuff. No one is forcing you to watch the live version. I don't, I actually hate it, I think it's taking someone away from the conversation to run the cameras and more time to get it setup live too (but that is just me) But just don't watch if you want, I don't even consider it a premium feature. ads aren't going to seep in anywhere else, this is just a convince factor and from a production standpoint makes the most sense.

I think the explanation for them is pretty weak. Drew, Jason, and Vinny are all highly skilled at production and I do not believe it is beyond them to work around this. Maybe that's too much to ask, but it is a stream that is only for premium members and it features ads. I'm expressing dissatisfaction with a new change on the site.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think the explanation for them is pretty weak. Drew, Jason, and Vinny are all highly skilled at production and I do not believe it is beyond them to work around this. Maybe that's too much to ask, but it is a stream that is only for premium members and it features ads. I'm expressing dissatisfaction with a new change on the site.
Not really a change if it didn't exist before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom