• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I remember some people on this forum giving Patrick shit when people though Austin should hire him about how he's not as good as Austin and isn't as intelligent or whatever bullshit. And then Austin comes out with this and gushes about Patrick and how he's the number one draft pick. Scoops always wins.

Bombcast is the only gaming podcast I listen to with regularity, but Dan on East and a Patrick/Austin podcast. I would listen to all of those things.

and I love how excited Patrick seems about the position

If Austin and Patrick don't come out together as a Vice-branded tag-team at the next PAX Wrestling event and pull out a Vice Grip and/or Anaconda Vice on some fools then what's the point?!

Seriously though, congrats to Patrick and man, Vice is serious about this!

Chuck

Still without luck
Patrick's career move to Kotaku didn't totally pay off.

Leaves GB for 2 years at Kotaku.

In the mean time his replacement joins GB and then leaves after a year or so to run his own site.

Patrick's new boss is his old replacement.

:D

Mind, you can't blame people for getting out of Kotaku. I doubt he will be the first. I am not sure Vice Gaming is as well set up for remote editors as Kotaku was though.

I am still not sure how Austin got an EIC gig so soon. Must have been right place at the right time. That dissertation is never getting finished now.
I hope Schreier becomes the new GB newsman.

Mupod

I'll be honest I wasn't big on giantbomb east at all until relatively recently. I only started listening to their podcast because my commute tripled in length and I needed another podcast to make it through the week. But I found myself looking forward to it more than the bombcast sometimes.

I'd miss the Jeff/Dan hamster arcade game quick looks the most I think. But I'm pretty optimistic about this move overall.

What are the chances of Danny or Mary being poached from Gamespot anyways?

popo

Right place right time undercuts just how smart Austin is

There are lots of smart people in the industry, most of whom have much more experience.

Which is not to say Austin didn't deserve it. You have to assume they interviewed and he must have impressed them. Giving him sole control of a site is taking a chance on him though, and certain amount of luck involved to get the opportunity. Although, I doubt they could have tempted him away from GB with just another staff position - so maybe they knew exactly what they were doing.

Is Jason in NY? Would be great to see him join the GBeast crew

I think Chuck was kidding. JS is too big for that position.

repeater

Don't think this has been posted - from when Patrick first announced he was leaving Kotaku:
Dj01wo0.jpg

#hireJeffGreen

Jschrier is too valuable as a writer than to be a personality. I think he'd be a good fit in Vice, but I don't think he'd ever switch to something like GB

The post is exactly why I think the shit Dan is doing is bad.

No it's funny you see, because it's a bit, therefore it's funny. That's how humor works.

edit: god this post really makes me seem like a withered old bastard. I LIKE FUN! there we go, balanced it out.

There are lots of smart people in the industry, most of whom have much more experience.

Which is not to say Austin didn't deserve it. You have to assume they interviewed and he must have impressed them. Giving him sole control of a site is taking a chance on him though, and certain amount of luck involved to get the opportunity. Although, I doubt they could have tempted him away from GB with just another staff position - so maybe they knew exactly what they were doing.

Austin, in less than a year, set up a guest writer program at Giant Bomb, publishing pieces by a whole bunch of fresh voices who usually don't get a platform anywhere near as big as Giant Bomb. In doing so he demonstrated that:

1) He knows a lot of very smart and talented people.
2) He's a great editor.
3) He's a great writer.
4) He's a great team player.

And also, it's a move away from traditional review/editorial content on large gaming sites, representing a more forward-thinking approach with an emphasis on progressive politics, which makes it fresh, and is exactly the kind of content that people DO like to read, as opposed to reviews, which lord knows no one reads anymore.

It's an incredibly smart hire by whoever pulled the trigger on that.

Mr. F

Banned
If there is a new hire on the west coast I hope they can eventually rotate in as the bombcast host. A couple (?) years removed I don't think Brad makes a very compelling one.

Jeffrey

Anyone else not really watching quicklooks much? I try to skim through them, but I'm not sure if its just games are boring now, or something.

mostly just watch upf, the demo disks and East live stuff and other features, and the Best of videos are good enough to catch up on the content I skim.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone else not really watching quicklooks much? I try to skim through them, but I'm not sure if its just games are boring now, or something.

mostly just watch upf, the demo disks and East live stuff and other features, and the Best of videos are good enough to catch up on the content I skim.

very rarely. even when it's a game i'm interested in, i usually don't because i don't want to be spoiled on it

BearPawB

Banned

The problem is they have done a lot of quicklooks for things they have already played elsewhere

Dazzler

I tend to watch QLs for games I've just finished to see the crew's initial impressions and how they meshed with my own

I very rarely watch entire quick looks anymore.
I think they're almost always too long.

I watch QLs just for the entertainment factor. It's always fun seeing a game you might've not necessarily played or will play, and how it's played.

If you're looking forward for the game, then it becomes more enjoyable watching the QL~

Mr. F

Banned

I think I'm in the same boat, depends how interested I am in the game and who's on it. That, and a lot of the games being covered lately just look kind of middle of the road; neither so great that it's fun to watch or so bad it's funny to watch.

Harpuia

I think with all the news coming out about Austin/Patrick team up, one thing that's for sure is that Jeff Gerstmann has an eye for talent. Who ever they hire next will most definitely be great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom