• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

I don't even think it is fully about the money. (obviously, money IS a big part)
I think it's more...creating live video all the time takes up time.
When you do live content ALL THE TIME, you can't have the freedom to do other stuff.

If Jeff and co decided: No quicklooks for 2 weeks, lets make a cool video series, they could do it. But they can't do that. They have already defined what the site is.

And I love that there will be 2 sites by people I love, that do very very different things

I believe the new format for the Bombcast is so it takes less time to produce, theoretically leading to more video content.

popo

Patrick's career move to Kotaku didn't totally pay off.

Leaves GB for 2 years at Kotaku.

In the mean time his replacement joins GB and then leaves after a year or so to run his own site.

Patrick's new boss is his old replacement.

:D

Mind, you can't blame people for getting out of Kotaku. I doubt he will be the first. I am not sure Vice Gaming is as well set up for remote editors as Kotaku was though.

I am still not sure how Austin got an EIC gig so soon. Must have been right place at the right time. That dissertation is never getting finished now.

Hasney

They only do Mario party a couple of times a year, I'm sure they can find some time when Dan is back in CA to do it and go to live ones at events fine.

Hindl

Not sure where you're at on the shore, but where I am I get all the Staten Island and LAWNG ISGLUND drivers. So much slamming on the gas, slamming on the brakes, slamming on the gas, slamming on the brakes while they look for parking.

Now I'm up in Boston but I grew up outside of AC/Ocean City. So I'm pretty far down there.

a quote from one dave snider on reddit:

Sometimes I wish I had github access just to hack on it on my spare time. I slowly see bits of design crumble as they update shared css libs without checking how it impacts other stuff. Happy that most of it remains usable though after all these years, but wish the ui got some love. Miss the guys, but don't miss that tech stack at CBS.

it's really a bummer how much the tech side of the site has fallen apart since dave and alexis left. they were doing really cool stuff with the design and it would've been cool to see them continue iterating on that. it feels like the site hasn't gotten a basic design update in forever, much less making features like search or video navigation any good

Rainmaker

Banned
I really don't think Dan is staying at GB East and I know that honestly sounds super crazy. (I'm fine with it either way)

I'm excited for Patrick and Austin teaming up. Can't wait to see what they do.

It always seemed like the engineers and designers got the short end of the stick by moving to CBSi. Dave probably would have still left to create Webhook but I always got the impression that the decision was made a lot easier by the way CBSi do things, same with Alexis.

Lunar FC

They put more work into the wiki, which nobody gives a shit about, than actually making videos easy to find without using an extension or an entirely different website.

Patrick moving over to VICE is a great get for Austin. He's really building something special over there, and I can't wait to see it fully fleshed out. Patrick did some great stuff over at Kotaku and had a big hand at changing the site for the better, I think. Going over to Project Austin was such a no-brainer because it's a perfect fit.

Good luck, Patrick!

As for Dan, we all knew he was moving to the east coast, but this whole bit that he's doing is hilarious, if only for the folks that are getting genuinely upset. I'd be pretty OK if they decide to keep the staff as it is. I can't think of a reason why they'd need to hire another person.

Zaph

it's really a bummer how much the tech side of the site has fallen apart since dave and alexis left. they were doing really cool stuff with the design and it would've been cool to see them continue iterating on that. it feels like the site hasn't gotten a basic design update in forever, much less making features like search or video navigation any good
I swear the last two times an engineer mentioned work was being done on the site, it was for ad integration. Outside of chat load balancing for e3, I don't think any actual improvements happened.

Have to imagine it's hard for CBSi to attract engineers in SF when there are so many better places to work and they're flush with VC money.

It always seemed like the engineers and designers got the short end of the stick by moving to CBSi. Dave probably would have still left to create Webhook but I always got the impression that the decision was made a lot easier by the way CBSi do things, same with Alexis.
Dave, Sean and another engineer basically bailed from their post-WM jobs on the same day, which was obviously a contractual length written into the sale, and says it all really. Can't blame them, why hang around less ideal companies when there are so many opportunities?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

CBSi clearly has no interest in their engineering staff. Lots of turnover there shows that clearly there is something bad going on or they are treated quite badly. My guess is a little of column A & column B.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think they changed comments recently. There's a small "loading comments" thing now when you open an article or a video on the site. They are definitely working on it.

Vice getting Scoops tells me they're serious about covering games from not just an editorial thinkpiece-y angle, but also breaking news. I'm pretty excited to see who else they end up getting. I hope they do a podcast, at any rate.

Patrick's staying in Chicago though right? I mean he just bought a house.

Vice getting Scoops tells me they're serious about covering games from not just an editorial thinkpiece-y angle, but also breaking news. I'm pretty excited to see who else they end up getting. I hope they do a podcast, at any rate.

Patrick's staying in Chicago though right? I mean he just bought a house.

Yes he is staying there. (Said on stream.)

I just want to be able to see the schedule when I'm on my phone..

We might have had this conversation before, but setting your mobile browser to Request Desktop version will show the schedule while also formatting it to mobile. I've heard some say this doesn't work for them, though.

Summer is actually just the worst season of the year

Summer sucks and I hate it. Worst season. My feelings on this have galvanized since moving to Texas.

We might have had this conversation before, but setting your mobile browser to Request Desktop version will show the schedule while also formatting it to mobile. I've heard some say this doesn't work for them, though.

Some websites have some extra bullshit that knows you're on mobile and won't change for some browser's. My last phone had that issue, even though I requested the full version in settings. My current phone makes me take an extra step to get the full version. Rottentomatoes is also bad about this, their mobile site is the worst.

Wow, Patrick and Austin at Vice... that's awesome, so many sites have died lately, it's nice to have one actually pop up and as much as I didn't care for the written content of theirs, I am excited to see what they do. Hopefully first thing is a podcast.

Par Score

Patrick and Austin is a total duder dream team. I will absolutely listen to any sort of podcast they might produce.

Wish they were both still at GB though :c

Wow, Patrick and Austin at Vice... that's awesome, so many sites have died lately, it's nice to have one actually pop up and as much as I didn't care for the written content of theirs, I am excited to see what they do. Hopefully first thing is a podcast.

This was the first thing I thought of too. Patrick seems to really like podcasts (and since he doesn't seem to be doing his horror podcast anymore) so hopefully they do something with that and the new site.

Both Patrick to Vice and Dan to Beast are great news- Austin gets to build the Retirement Home for Old Duders with one of the best investigative journalists the industry's got, and Dan gives the Bestcast the shot in the arm it's needed since Austin left. Hope the West hire goes through relatively quickly, and it's someone who gives that lot the alternative perspective and the jolt of energy that they'd benefit from.

still no word officially on what Dan is up to?

Creasing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom